C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Summit Racing Optispark who makes them? are they any good?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 02:41 AM
boonie c4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Summit Racing Optispark who makes them? are they any good?

Regarding Summit Racing who makes their Optispark distributors and are these Summit Optispark Distributors any good? this is what I'm facing in replacing my early 94 Opti.Summit wants $250, Accel $290, CMS"Chandler Motor Sports" $115, KMJ performance "eBay vendor" $79, Skipwhite "eBay vendor" $69. sothen are they all the same?
Old 08-11-2011, 10:49 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Don't know who makes them.
Do know I needed a "late" model opti real fast, one of the warehouses is 45 min from me.
Called, it was in stock, picked it up and had the mechanic install it on the 383.
The 383 ate a lifter with the cam timing sprocket.
Put in a used LT1 that needed the late opti, reused the summit opti
So far after 10 hours of road course use its held up fine. Lots of time I'm spinning the engine north of 4K rpm.

The only problem with the "early" opti is it only has a passive vent hole. IIRC a membr here bought an opti from petris that was an AC/Delco modified with the active venting. It was more than the off brands above.

Now is this a daily driver? Are you doing the opti replacement?
They are not all the same - from one of the off brand vendors get the best warrantee you can for a daily driver. Mines a race car so warranty means zilch for me.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:58 PM
active1951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boonie c4
Regarding Summit Racing who makes their Optispark distributors and are these Summit Optispark Distributors any good? this is what I'm facing in replacing my early 94 Opti.Summit wants $250, Accel $290, CMS"Chandler Motor Sports" $115, KMJ performance "eBay vendor" $79, Skipwhite "eBay vendor" $69. sothen are they all the same?
Advance Auto Cardone(NEW not rebuilt), bout 200 bucks, lifetime warranty, no shippin charges to return. Do a INTERNET search on this subject, not just this website.

Here is quote from PO, when I told him his optifart failed after a few months and a few thousand miles:
"Sorry to hear that. If it is the Optispark, I would be a shocked.
The Opti in the car now is an AC/Delco unit.
I originally tried one from Chandler Motorsports. When my no-start condition remained and I exhausted all my diagnostic skills, I took it to a local garage.
Based on their experience, they insisted that after market engine electronic parts are incompatible with these cars. Regardless of what the aftermarket manufactures say.
So they swapped out the Chandler unit with the AC/Delco unit and the problem was fixed.
The part that was most perplexing was all those endorsements from users on the corvette forum. If it worked for them, why not for me? I don't know. All I know is that it didn't work for me and after the garage installed the AC/Delco unit the car ran."

I took that optifart apart and it had the bragged about Mit optical in it, cleaned it and tried it again, nothing. Installed Cardone, fired right up, idled lower and better. How long it will last, who knows...
Old 08-11-2011, 02:51 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

I installed the AC/Delco (performance parts) from Summit Racing three years ago, I'd do it again!
Old 08-11-2011, 03:33 PM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought a Petris one..supposed to be a real GM opti..it has a vented cap with a real GM vent kit..so far the car runs great..look up Petris Enterprises..he built the one for Corvette Fever mag...399.00 with lifetime warranty..or get it from Corvette America..for 70.00 more..found that out after I bought it.....
Old 08-12-2011, 10:14 AM
boonie c4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Are the Cardone select Optispark distributors OEM?

Are the Cardone select Optispark distributors actualy OEM with the Mitsubishi optical sensor? And what optical sensors do the rest of the Aftermarket Optispark manufactors use?
Old 08-12-2011, 11:26 AM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

From what I have read most of them use chinese ones..

Get notified of new replies

To Summit Racing Optispark who makes them? are they any good?

Quick Reply: Summit Racing Optispark who makes them? are they any good?