C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Anti-glare sideview mirror options

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 03:46 PM
bolowbc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Anti-glare sideview mirror options

Hi guys,

If you've ever been driving at night and get blinded by the car behind you, then I'm sure you've done the "arm block" maneuver. I've done some heavy searching on this topic, and thought I'd open the discussion to see what members have done about it.

1) WHAT'S AVAILABLE FOR C4s - There are aftermarket convex mirrors available that reduce the blindspot. However I just talked to a member on here who had them who said that although they are great for what they do, the mirrors offer no additional anti-glare properties.

2) FILMS AND TINTS - To put on some sort of tint on the mirrors. My local tint shop said that no one has ever done this, and moreover, tint does not adhere or stay on plastic very well compared to glass. I think our mirrors are made of glass. Ideally "polarized tint" is the best, however most products are made for LCD screens and the like instead of automobile applications. Maybe they can still work...

3) NEWER CORVETTES - C5 owners reports that the electrochromatic technology is available 2001+ http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...ew-mirror.html. However it is not the best. Additionally, I don't think new housings would necessarily flow with the C4. http://www.greenwoodcorvettes.net/gc4/mirror.htm So if I am going to replace the housing, I want to find one that not only looks the best but also works the best.

4) RETROFITTING THE BEST - Some higher end cars have a blueish tint on the mirrors, however this is part of the glass composition rather than a layer of tint. One option is to retrofit glass from one of these cars (e.g. Mercedes, Lexus, etc.), which would require reshaping of the glass. I think this will be the best approach if the material doesn't crack or break.

Update: This looks like a place to start. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a...ror-mod-VW.htm

Any thoughts/experience on this?

Last edited by bolowbc; 04-14-2012 at 03:48 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:18 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

i have window tint and it don't help worth a crap, our cars are low and every tom dick and harry behind us is a pain in the.....neck
Old 04-13-2012, 05:22 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

My prior 35th Anni had side tint which helped but still had to divert the DS mirror down a bit to avoid bright headlight glare. I still had no blind spots and could still see cars that were close on that side.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:53 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

My friend has a volkswagen jetta, and the mirrors have some type of blue tint on them. 90% Sure it came from the factory. Perhaps you could look into that and see what type of film they used. It works pretty well.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:12 AM
bolowbc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by slickfx3
i have window tint and it don't help worth a crap, our cars are low and every tom dick and harry behind us is a pain in the.....neck
Originally Posted by 65Z01
My prior 35th Anni had side tint which helped but still had to divert the DS mirror down a bit to avoid bright headlight glare. I still had no blind spots and could still see cars that were close on that side.
Right, I have window tint too. While I'm sure it's better than untinted, there is still lots of glare. I was referring to tinting the actual mirrors.

Originally Posted by Pwnage1337
My friend has a volkswagen jetta, and the mirrors have some type of blue tint on them. 90% Sure it came from the factory. Perhaps you could look into that and see what type of film they used. It works pretty well.
Right, I mentioned that the bluish hue that you see on certain mirrors is not an actual tint, rather it is an antireflective coating.

Get notified of new replies

To Anti-glare sideview mirror options

Quick Reply: Anti-glare sideview mirror options