C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

GM HEI low resistance brush OK?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 04:35 PM
loaded vet
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GM HEI low resistance brush OK?

I have a 87 stock Vet with a stock factory ignition. Nothing special. Accel has a low resistance brush for use on the HEI large cap distributors. I am concerned why the factory didn't go this way in it's design study on these units. I am runing an Accel 8225 coil on it now and wonder if it would hurt the ignition control module and or the coil should I install the low resistance brush. If you are runnng this brush, please let me know if you have experienced any problems as a result and if so how long have you been running it.

Thanks

Gary
Old 03-18-2013, 08:36 PM
cshuman
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If you go with a higher power coil you will need to use it. If you don't it will burn out the top of your cap.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:41 PM
loaded vet
Advanced

Thank you for the information. My understanding is the MSD 8225 coil is a standard replacement for this HEI.

Gary

Last edited by loaded vet; 03-21-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:39 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

why use ANY of that on a stock motor?
it does not help anything...except the parts guy get rich.
Save your money for genuine Delco ignition parts,. the car will thank you.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:12 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,260 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by leesvet
why use ANY of that on a stock motor?
it does not help anything...except the parts guy get rich.
Save your money for genuine Delco ignition parts,. the car will thank you.
It's been a long time since you've probably seen "GENUINE" Delco ignition parts! Unfortunately but if it's NOT some very old NOS inventory it's likely some very generic repackaged material and likely not done to the original specifications.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:57 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

got a pt there ....WV..
I recall looking at a Delco box not long ago that had the "made in mexican" stamp proudly displayed on the end flap.

probably at the same place where accel & msd is made !
Old 03-22-2013, 01:30 PM
loaded vet
Advanced

I do have concerns with auto electronic parts outside of the country. However, assuming all ignition parts are to specifications, can the lower resistance brush damage either the cap or/and ICM?
Thank You
Gary
Old 03-22-2013, 08:11 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,260 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by loaded vet
I do have concerns with auto electronic parts outside of the country. However, assuming all ignition parts are to specifications, can the lower resistance brush damage either the cap or/and ICM?
Thank You
Gary
I would certainly believe that the lower resistance brush couldn't hurt a thing and if you've actually got a higher voltage "in cap" coil just do it. Have you measured the resistance of what you've got so you can compare it to what it is that you're looking to buy. Can you get actual facts from the source of the "lower" or is it just an advertising method based upon the construction of the brush?

Determine what it is that you've got in hand and maybe "google" could enlighten you on what's being sold out there. You can't be the first who couldn't make the decision!!!
Old 03-23-2013, 10:57 PM
cshuman
Pro

Originally Posted by loaded vet
Thank You
Gary
I installed an msd 6 with a high voltage coil years back. After running it for a while I found that around the stock bushing the cap was starting to burn away. I replaced it with msd low resistance bushing and the problem went away. It will keep you from damaging the cap. It won't hurt the icm either.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:32 AM
loaded vet
Advanced

CSHuman Thank you for joining in with your personal experience with what is close to what I wanted to learn more about.

Gary
Old 04-07-2013, 08:35 AM
cshuman
Pro

Delayed reaction!
Your welcome!
Old 04-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

I had a heck of a time getting an ignition for my engine when I made the swap to the Pro Flo intake. That intake needs a small cap hei so I bought a supposedly new one from a seller on fleabay. I also did the upgrade to the 165 ecm at the same time. When it came time to fire the engine it just would not run right. Considering what I had done I was centering my attention on the ecm rewiring. I spent days retracing every single wire in the ecm and got no results from it. That's when I decided it had to be the "new" dist. It was supposed to be a Summit brand but when I got to checking I have no idea what it was but it was not Summit. I bought a new Pertronix dist. and coil. Put the Pertronix in and the engine fired right up. I started to do the idle air & timing settings when the engine did all sorts of crazy things, then died. A brand new Pertronix ignition module had died with about 10 minutes run time on it. I bought another Pertronix module and then took a short trip of less than 300 miles. Just as I got back in town, module #2 died! That is when I had enough of Pertronix. I just could not afford a new GM dist. so I settled on a new Cardone unit which was half the price of the Pertronix crap. I have had good luck with Cardone so that's why I bought it. I also ordered a new AC-Delco coil. So far all is good, the engine even sounded crisper with the stock pieces in it. Sorry for the long story but my choice even for a modded engine is plain old stock when it comes to ignition.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:41 PM
loaded vet
Advanced

Thanks Midnight for the info. I bought the Petronics hipo coil and ICM. I decided to shelve them as I got concerned with them running higher voltage to the coil through the ICM. You're misfortune verifies my concern.
Tell me something, are you running the low resistance brush by chance? I wonder if the different material used to lower the resistance will chew up the rotor contact.

Gary

Get notified of new replies

To GM HEI low resistance brush OK?

Quick Reply: GM HEI low resistance brush OK?