C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need Some Help with Alignment Specs

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 12:16 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Need Some Help with Alignment Specs

I just finished rebuilding the front suspension and steering rack on my 85. I did the rebuild because the car wandered and pulled on uneven surfaces. Over the last 5 years my tires had worn perfectly. I installed new poly bushings, ball joints, tie rods and had the steering rack rebuilt by Turn One. I did not replace the upper control arm bushings. They looked to be OK and I didn't want to deal with pressing new bushings in.

I had a local shop do the alignment. The Tech checked caster and camber and left them as is. He adjusted the toe.

Actual LF Camber -0.1 Factory +0.3 to +1.3
Actual RF Camber -0.2

Actual LF Caster +4.9 Factory +2.3 to +3.8
Actual RF Caster +4.7

Actual LF Toe -0.01 Factory -0.10 to +0.10
Actual RF Toe +0.01

I'm curious what others are setting caster and camber to. Should I go with positive camber like the factory specs? And do I need to reduce caster? By the way, this is a street car that I may do some autocross with.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:28 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Hi, the caster and camber numbers here look like they are designed for performance. These will give you better stability going straight and around corners. Excellent for racing. But, the camber may wear your tires a little faster than it would if it was factory. Your toe is good, and this should be a stiffer ride, and have more stable handling. If you would like to have them to factory go back and make him do it. But these are the specs that I would prefer.

Good luck!

Forgot to mention, what happened with the rear toe and camber results? Did he not do the rear? You always do the rear FIRST in an alignment. The rear alignment specs, if off, can cause a pull too.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:46 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the reply. The Tech also felt the caster and camber would be better for performance. So I had him leave them as is. He did check the rear. The numbers are below. I had him leave the rear alone because I plan on doing a complete rebuild of the rear very soon.

Actual LR Camber +0.20 Factory -0.10 to +0.90
Actual RR Camber -0.30

Actual LR Toe +0.09 Factory -0.10 to +0.10
Actual RR Toe -0.04
Old 06-28-2013, 03:38 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Those numbers look good. I like 6* caster, to make it go very straight at high speed.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:28 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Your target camber numbers are wack. There hasn't been a Corvette built that asks for positive camber settings front or rear.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:12 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 383vett
Your target camber numbers are wack. There hasn't been a Corvette built that asks for positive camber settings front or rear.
Those numbers came right out of my FSM. They also came up on the alignment shop's computer. The Tech said he didn't understand why they would specify positive camber. That's why I'm asking the question.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:40 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Okay looks good for handling and corners. It will give your better performance than from the factory, although the ride will be much stiffer and you will definitely feel the bumps more. Tires may have camber wear a little, but that's the price you pay. Other than that, feel free to drive like a maniac, because this car will take it.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:49 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
Okay looks good for handling and corners. It will give your better performance than from the factory, although the ride will be much stiffer and you will definitely feel the bumps more. Tires may have camber wear a little, but that's the price you pay. Other than that, feel free to drive like a maniac, because this car will take it.
With the poly bushings it does feel a little stiffer. The car is a Z51, so it has stiffer springs, 30mm front sway bar and closer ratio steering. I'm looking forward to trying it on autocross. The car will do fine, it's the driver that worries me.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:56 PM
383vett
Race Director

Originally Posted by cumbercr
Those numbers came right out of my FSM. They also came up on the alignment shop's computer. The Tech said he didn't understand why they would specify positive camber. That's why I'm asking the question.
Something is not right. Check out these numbers...

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2011...ignment-specs/
Old 06-28-2013, 06:00 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

It's the alignment that will make it feel stiffer. Your caster angles will add better stability, tighter steering, and a stiffer ride. This is because the shock is now more towards the passenger compartment, and with every bump, because of positive caster, is aimed towards the passenger compartment. Negative caster will add looser steering, better steering wheel return-ability, and softer ride because the shock is directed towards the engine bay.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:07 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Something is not right. Check out these numbers...

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2011...ignment-specs/
I like these targets better. I'm holding on to this. I don't know what to say about the factory specs. Just cause something's written down don't make it right.

I think for my use, advanced street may be the best specs.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:09 PM
383vett
Race Director

Originally Posted by cumbercr
I like these targets better. I'm holding on to this. I don't know what to say about the factory specs. Just cause something's written down don't make it right.

I think for my use, advanced street may be the best specs.
If you go with positive camber, your car will look like a 70s VW bug and squeal around corners.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:18 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

It's the alignment that will make it feel stiffer. Your caster angles will add better stability, tighter steering, and a stiffer ride. This is because the shock is now more towards the passenger compartment, and with every bump, because of positive caster, is aimed towards the passenger compartment. Negative caster will add looser steering, better steering wheel return-ability, and softer ride because the shock is directed towards the engine bay.
Thanks for explaining caster. I was having trouble understanding what effect the geometry has on handling. It's not intuitive!
Old 06-28-2013, 07:46 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

I'm guessing 383vette gave you the advanced street specs from VB&P's catalog. I had the shop use those specs on my car and I really like the difference it made. One thing to keep in mind and I know this is going to stir the pot but NEVER and I mean NEVER believe all you read in the fsm! I just got done straightening out a wiring issue because the '85 fsm was wrong in at least a dozen different areas. Gordon Killebrew told GM the book was wrong many times and GM ignored him.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:55 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I used the advanced street specs from VBP on the 86. It didn't make a huge difference but I did like the change. Without checking, the specs 383vette gave look the same.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:24 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Thanks all for the replies. I feel enlightened on the subject. My next step is to completely rebuild the rear suspension with poly bushings, replace the half shaft u-joints and service the differential. I'm looking for a reputable shop to adjust the ring and pinion gear lash.

Once I've finished the rear, I'll have the front and rear aligned to the advanced street specs 383Vette provided. This has been educational.

Vader,
Did you put the engine Jim built into the 88?
Old 06-28-2013, 09:07 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Give this to your alignment shop.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Some Help with Alignment Specs

Old 06-28-2013, 10:49 PM
84wannabezo6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dick Guldstrand also has a spec sheet you might want to check out
Old 06-28-2013, 11:10 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Can we get 3 deg negative with our stock suspension geometry? I forget as my only real autox Corvette was a 94 Coupe that I ran for about a year. I do remember more negative than I could get on a stock height F Body, but I don't remember 3 degree's negative. That would be wonderful at an autox and would quickly kill your tires on the street.

I don't remember ever running more than 2 deg negative on my race car and that could have gotten more and that had zero street miles.

BTW, I like the specs you have now. A good mix of performance and OK for street use.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:01 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

. . . the shock is now more towards the passenger compartment, and with every bump, because of positive caster, is aimed towards the passenger compartment. Negative caster will add . . . better steering wheel return-ability . . .
Sorry, Daniel, but I can't agree with this analysis. Changing the caster in a Corvette won't affect the angle of the shock. Negative caster will cause the car to wander, and the steering wheel won't return to center on its own. The +5 degrees caster recommended by several people is an excellent suggestion.

If you want to test this negative caster idea, try backing up fast, turn the steering wheel a bit, then take your hands off the wheel! (Be ready to step on the brakes!!)

Quick Reply: Need Some Help with Alignment Specs