C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

how to fix hood release cables on 89 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 05:35 PM
Nathan T Bope
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to fix hood release cables on 89 corvette

my 89 hood got stuck on the drivers side, I made a tool to open and got it open, the problem was the part of the release cable that is attached to the part where the hood latches, I put it back in its slot and tightened the nut on it and the hood release lever inside of the car moved the lever that unlocks the hood, so I closed the hood and it got stuck again, was able to pull the drivers side release cable with pliers to open it, my release cable that opens the drivers side part of the hood seems loose, does anyone know ho to tighten them, are my cables broke, I don't think they are or I wouldn't be able to move them, please I need some help thanks
Old 07-08-2013, 05:53 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

On the end of the cable under the hood, where it attaches to the small release arm, there is an adjustable nut with a smaller lock nut in front of it...The one you adjust is the long nut ( about 1 1/2" long) . You adjust it till the slop is gone, then run the small nut up to lock it..This should fix the problem......WW
Old 07-08-2013, 06:27 PM
Nathan T Bope
4th Gear

I have tightened the nut under the hood all the way, there is a lot of slack where the cable attaches to the hood release in the car, is there a way to tighten the cable at the hood release cable or do I have to replace the cable
Old 07-08-2013, 09:17 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathan T Bope
I have tightened the nut under the hood all the way, there is a lot of slack where the cable attaches to the hood release in the car, is there a way to tighten the cable at the hood release cable or do I have to replace the cable
If you have that much slack in the cable then the cable has probably started to come apart inside the cable sheathing and is stretching as it comes apart...It looks like it's time to get another set of cables...WW
Old 07-08-2013, 09:22 PM
Cap'n Rich
Racer

While I can't help with the cable adjustment/replacement question, I would like to air a tip I received from one of the members of this forum many years ago. I have saved it, but I regret not being able to identify the source.

This is how to build an emergency hood release tool before the need occurs. My thanks to the original poster.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ase%20tool.doc

Get notified of new replies

To how to fix hood release cables on 89 corvette

Quick Reply: how to fix hood release cables on 89 corvette