C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Master cylinder upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 10:42 AM
7thvet
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Master cylinder upgrade?

I need to replace my master cylinder on a 84. is there a better one than a stock replacement?
Old 07-28-2013, 11:02 AM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I would imagine you could replace it with one from a later model but you might have to cut and move brake lines to fit.

If you have yours off take it to a parts store and look at the later model replacements and see if the lines are the same size, as long as everything measures up it will work.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:04 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

Originally Posted by bob guzzy
I would imagine you could replace it with one from a later model but you might have to cut and move brake lines to fit.
Way more involved than just those lines.

Originally Posted by 7thvet
I need to replace my master cylinder on a 84. is there a better one than a stock replacement?
The critical aspects that need to be considered when looking at physical characteristics of the master cylinder are at the mounting to the booster. That needs to be retained, piston diameter could be increased but the depth of the piston mating to the booster push rod needs to be retained and of course the mounting pattern. Yours is NOT an ABS system so there could be some flexibility likely but you need to be concerned with more than just a hydraulic line fit. There are likely adapters that could overcome those shortcomings if need be BUT certainly wouldn't be desired.

There's no way to actually check the compatibility "hydraulically" until it's fitted and tested. You need to understand that a purchase and mount of something you're not happy with or doesn't work likely isn't "returnable"!

Have you tried to locate a rebuilt/re-manufactured or maybe even a new for it?
Old 07-28-2013, 12:34 PM
GQ-ROD
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only mc that are available are those made in china and pricey almost $200.00

GM ones are difficult to find and even more expensive nos.

Haven't upgraded mine since it's not a track car, did buy the centric, didn't install it yet though, turned out the brake booster was faulty, got mine from eckler's pricey yeah but works fine for over a year now.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:26 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I replaced my master cylinder on my 84 a few months ago. My parts guy searched throughout the US and found a Bendix (made in USA) unit in Detroit at an auto supply house and had it shipped out here. It cost about $250, but it is new, works as good as new and hopefully I won't have to worry about it for the another 30 years.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:47 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

I bought a new GM master cylinder. I thought it was interesting that the original was aluminum but the replacement was cast iron. The original was made by PBR in Australia. The replacement was also PBR.

Last edited by Cliff Harris; 07-30-2013 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Added replacement was PBR.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:15 AM
indianavette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
I bought a new GM master cylinder. I thought it was interesting that the original was aluminum but the replacement was cast iron. The original was made by PBR in Australia. I don't know where the replacement came from.
Hello. If your '84 is like mine, the MC is like the one on the right in this pix. I have a few, which were removed from new Corvettes in the mid-80s being turned into race cars. Been shelved ever since. We've used some of these and found them to be in excellent conditon. Asking $100 shipped. Reservoirs included.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:09 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

If you are willing to put new fittings on the end of your lines, go with a '93-2002 4th gen Camaro master cylinder. It will bolt in place, but needs different sized fitting. They are super easy to come by and are much cheaper than the C4 stuff. Also, the bore is slightly larger which will give you a better pedal in my opinion. I put a used one in my race car several years ago and have not had any issues.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:00 PM
Radio Joe
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubs
If you are willing to put new fittings on the end of your lines, go with a '93-2002 4th gen Camaro master cylinder. It will bolt in place, but needs different sized fitting. They are super easy to come by and are much cheaper than the C4 stuff. Also, the bore is slightly larger which will give you a better pedal in my opinion. I put a used one in my race car several years ago and have not had any issues.
That there is some GREAT info!
Old 07-29-2013, 09:06 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

I just put one of these on my 85
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:CPSOB:US:1123

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/198..._cylinder.html
They raised the price on the one I bought($97) but I was brousing and found an 82 dollar one.

But it looks like it is seeping just a touch from the cup seals. and they forgot the low fluid light connector but said they will send me one. Other than that it doesn't really leak FYI

Last edited by xrav22; 07-29-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:42 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by xrav22
they forgot the low fluid light connector but said they will send me one.
That's not a low fluid light connector. It is a brake balance switch. It turns on the BRAKE light on the center cluster if the front or rear brake circuits have a problem (meaning no or low pressure).
Old 01-19-2015, 09:59 PM
TCurtner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubs
Could you tell me how you plumbed the lines (which i'm sure you know are 10x1 and 12x1 to the Camaro master cylinder size of 11x1.5, 11x1.5) and part numbers/sources?
Thanks!
Old 03-19-2015, 09:21 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by TCurtner
Could you tell me how you plumbed the lines (which i'm sure you know are 10x1 and 12x1 to the Camaro master cylinder size of 11x1.5, 11x1.5) and part numbers/sources?
Thanks!
Sorry I missed this until now. I do not have part numbers but I got the correct fittings for the Camaro MC from Autozone. I cut the ends off the existing lines, put the new fittings on and re-flared the ends. I also plumbed in a bias adjuster for the rear line in case it gave the rear too much bias, but I dont even use it. It was perfect with stock brakes.

You can kinda see in these two pictures from when I was putting the engine in. If you want better ones I can go out to the garage tomorrow.

Get notified of new replies

To Master cylinder upgrade?

Quick Reply: Master cylinder upgrade?