C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

tachometer problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 12:08 PM
claycomb
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tachometer problems

good afternoon all. we bought a base 90 a month ago & the tach hasn't worked since. when I put the key to on position - 1000 rpm, when i crank it - 21-2200 rpm, soon as it starts - it pegs it at the bottom. I know with it at 1000 as soon as i turn it on, it needs calibrating. but this pegging it low once it starts i have to figure out. i can build or fix anything. can a capable individual rebuild these clusters? Thanks
Old 09-27-2013, 12:40 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

Originally Posted by claycomb
good afternoon all. we bought a base 90 a month ago & the tach hasn't worked since. when I put the key to on position - 1000 rpm, when i crank it - 21-2200 rpm, soon as it starts - it pegs it at the bottom. I know with it at 1000 as soon as i turn it on, it needs calibrating. but this pegging it low once it starts i have to figure out. i can build or fix anything. can a capable individual rebuild these clusters? Thanks
A correctly calibrated tach should park at 0 with "key on"! Your situation is well documented and yes it requires either a calibration in the cluster main-board or an exchange through a cluster service center. Your comment "I can build or fix anything" might be tested. A capable individual should be able to accomplish the calibration if that's the only issue.

There are many threads relating to the problem and also the repair. The search function is best used here - there are way to many threads to head you in a particular direction. I assure you that the search function will work. Good luck.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:03 PM
claycomb
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you sir for your reply. The thing I love best about this car is doing everything I can myself. I'm gonna try it. Thanks for the help.

Get notified of new replies

To tachometer problems

Quick Reply: tachometer problems