C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Bypass neutral safety switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 10:43 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MrWillys
Mine is a B&M and they're separate.
One allows a load to pass to the starter in Park / Neutral.
One provides a signal for reverse lights
Another provides a ground signal when in Park / Neutral.
Does your B&M have provision for the 3 switches ?
My B&M Quiksilver only has the 2 , the reason why I never connected the ECM interface

As you note , the stock 6 wire switch is 3 separate switches in one unit
NSS , backup , and ECM

Old 11-08-2013, 10:54 PM
MrWillys
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteoz
Does your B&M have provision for the 3 switches ?
My B&M Quiksilver only has the 2 , the reason why I never connected the ECM interface

As you note , the stock 6 wire switch is 3 separate switches in one unit
NSS , backup , and ECM

My B&M only has two also. I use the NSS, but choose the park / neutral over reverse, so it adds 100 rpm in p / n. Mine is 1955, so I figured I'd get away without reverse lights.
No cute schematic that you're known for?
Old 11-09-2013, 01:43 AM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

No cute schematic that you're known for?
Are found in 3 different sections of the FSM because each switch is part of a separate circuit

Old 11-09-2013, 06:44 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

There are documented faults in the FSM
Which are??? And is this one of them???? Please clarify your statement dealing with this issue in particular.

Just repeating what I already stated above in post # 8
What you wrote in Post #8 is not even close to what I wrote. And seeing how at the time of these posts...the year of the Corvette was not known. And with what you wrote in Post #8 "or even being wired up"...come on......then why did GM put it there??? and not just a simple switch for backup lights. This switch has multiple functions.....but I guess you already knew that...and just forgot.

Seeing the TCC is only activated when the car is in motion unlikely it will engage with the car stationary regardless of whether the ECM
knows if the trans is in or out of gear............
OK... open up another can of worms. Your statement is correct until you begin to drive it and get a VSS signal. But if the ECM sees that it is in park...due to a defective /un-plugged switch...even though you have it in a drive gear it is reading PARK...but is reading a VSS signal...because you are driving it...don't you think that it would confuse the system and cause or a "possible" VSS code like the Manual states.

Evidently I have worked and repaired weird Corvettes that have problems that no one else has.

Which both Cliffy and I previously stated ;
you were the one implying that bypassing the NSS being discussed in this thread
"also this switch is used by the computer to tell it if it is in (Park/Neutral)"
would affect the ECM
Ok...for some part of this I am at fault because I "assumed" that the poster may just disconnect the connections going to the switch and "jump" the two wires to by-pass it so it would complete the circuit for the starter...and not have any wires going to the switch. In that case it support what I wrote.

I did not write it would effect the ECM. What you got out of what your read is just that. It is not damaging the ECM...the ECM would still be performing its job...which is to maintain the engine, respond to inputs needed to keep it running smoothly and show possible trouble codes due to incorrect inputs that the ECM need to keep the engine running.....unless you feel a trouble code is "effecting the ECM".

Like MrWillys wrote...it is 3 switches in one. Park/Neutral,Neutral/start and backup light switch.

DUB
Old 04-10-2020, 08:39 AM
Mike Cherry
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Connect the two wires together. I would not do this other than for testing though. It's dangerous to have it start in gear. Don't ask how i know this?
I have a 1985 Corvette with a automatic and I was told it needs a neutral safety switch. But also told part is not available?

Last edited by Mike Cherry; 04-10-2020 at 08:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Joey Genitempo (01-09-2024)

Quick Reply: Bypass neutral safety switch