C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Targa Top Cracked

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 02:56 PM
megtom2
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Targa Top Cracked

Guess it got too cold in the garage and a crack formed over the driver side seat. Not sure if it is the one from factory or a prior owner had replaced the factory top. Of course looking up the codes for the car it supposedly came with two tops but of course the hard top didn't come with the car when we bought it 5 years ago.
My question is what is the best and most affordable replacement? Of course I'd love to find a used one local but that seems impossible to find and Corvettes are never at the local junk yards. Leaning towards the carbon fiber replacements found on ebay. Good reputation?
Thanks
Old 01-14-2014, 03:46 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by megtom2
Guess it got too cold in the garage and a crack formed over the driver side seat. Not sure if it is the one from factory or a prior owner had replaced the factory top. Of course looking up the codes for the car it supposedly came with two tops but of course the hard top didn't come with the car when we bought it 5 years ago.
My question is what is the best and most affordable replacement? Of course I'd love to find a used one local but that seems impossible to find and Corvettes are never at the local junk yards. Leaning towards the carbon fiber replacements found on ebay. Good reputation?
Thanks
That's why I have never gotten a lexon or glass top.. Sooner or later there going to crack. If you want a solid top ebay usually has them or you could try getting in touch with one of the used part venders on here. I've had good luck with (See4Parts) in the parts forum , he hasn't let me down yet... Im not familiar with the carbon fiber tops on ebay but theres a dealer on here selling a high quality carbon fiber top..Here's his thread below.....WW

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...arga-tops.html
Old 01-14-2014, 06:23 PM
aj1988
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check with your ins. co. My top was covered when it cracked. They paid the retail from GM and I now have both the painted and see thru. Bought both used (painted is same color as my car, got lucky).
Old 01-14-2014, 06:52 PM
Klyde
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Zip Corvette has a good deal on a remanufactured top. They send you a remanufactured acrylic top for $799.00 plus a $200.00 core charge. Mount it and make sure its the right one then put yours in the box, stick on the supplied shipping label, and drop it to FedEx. In a few days they return your $200.00. It is an original GM frame with a new high-tech acrylic lens, new rubber, and new Black trim. I'm real happy with mine so far.
Attached Images  
Old 01-14-2014, 07:33 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Option 1: Find a used top that can be painted to match.

Option 2: Send your top out for servicing...and then make sure you take the time in getting it correctly adjusted....especially if the weatherstrips have been replaced and are not like the factory latex coated neoprene rubber style.

Also...for what it is worth...even though this is a targa roof...as many of us call them...GM called it a window in the parts listing...which can "possibly" come into play with your insurance....if you choose to go that route.

DUB
Old 01-15-2014, 09:28 AM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by megtom2
Thanks
There are vendors on here that I would trust w/ building a quality carbon fiber top... but unless the CF vendors have an ebay username I would truthfully not waste my time on a more-than-likely sub par product.

Get notified of new replies

To Targa Top Cracked

Quick Reply: Targa Top Cracked