C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Should I replace rear main seal on replacement engine (LT1)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 05:35 PM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Should I replace rear main seal on replacement engine (LT1)

Will be replacing my engine in my '93 with another stock engine that has 32-33,000 miles. Should I replace rear and possibly front seals while it is out because of the age and possibllity of them being dried out? Thamks.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:42 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

It's a smart move to replace the rear main seal anytime you have the chance...The front seals you can get to with the engine in the car , the rear you either get when the trans is out, or it's major work if it leaks.. I don't know if Felpro has addressed there rear main gasket problems they were having, but for awhile the seals they were producing leaked after a short while , Pete K warned me about this a while back because he was having leaks from the Felpro rear main gaskets he was putting in his engines.... Another seal to replace is the front seal on an Automatic Transmission, it only takes a few minites but can save a lot of grief later on......WW

Last edited by WW7; 04-08-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:56 PM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

How do you know if you have a good or bad felpro seal or not? Did they have aproduction date or recall on them or is there another brand to use?
Old 04-08-2014, 06:13 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by scotth48
How do you know if you have a good or bad felpro seal or not? Did they have aproduction date or recall on them or is there another brand to use?
It's been about a year since I was told about the seal, so hopefully they have corrected the problem.. There are other companys that make the seals, check, Mr Gasket, Timken , Cometic, Im sure there's quite a few more....

Here is a discussion I found real quick about the troubles they were having with the Felpro rear main seals....
http://www.speedtalk.com/forum/viewt...hp?f=1&t=31154

Last edited by WW7; 04-08-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:16 PM
jake corvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WW7 is offering good advice here. Invest a couple of bucks and replace the seal(s).
Old 04-09-2014, 04:16 PM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

I bought a complete set to do the current engine and since I am not rebuilding it at this time I could the seals out of that felpro kit. I would have o check to see which kit I have but I know I got it in august- November 2012 from local engine rebuilder for short track small block Chevy's. I'll also check to see if he had a problem. So maybe I should consider something other than the felpro. Thank WW7 for the website concerning the issue. Yes, I will do both seals rather than having a problem with them after engine installation. I still have a clutch situation to deal with when I get the old engine out as the flywheel did not come with the engine I bought. I did see some good read on balancing flywheel yesterday here on the forum that will be very helpful. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Should I replace rear main seal on replacement engine (LT1)

Quick Reply: Should I replace rear main seal on replacement engine (LT1)