C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

84 passenger door only opens from inside

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 05:54 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Default 84 passenger door only opens from inside

The door does have a slight droop to it and lately has to be slammed a little or else it doesnt close properly.

Now it will only open from inside, passenger can pull the release but nothing happens.

Is it related to the sagging causing it to bind? Something needs lubrication or is a little rusty and not moving right?

Any suggestions to see if it can be improved for now at least?
Old 07-15-2014, 06:17 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

fix your hinges first, it needs it. Maybe you will get lucky.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:55 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Well its something broke inside the door I mase a few comparisons to the drivers door.

Drivers door open, the handle on the outside wont lift all the way. Passenger side easily all the way.

With the turning part that holds the post pushed as if it were closed, drivers door resistance at the point it would stop otherwise, and then it releases the piece. Passenger door the same as before. No resistance still.

Something broke in the door. Guess the panel is coming off.

I found 4 screws at the bottom, one on the side and 6 in the handle part in the door.

Anything else Im not seeing? I think the lock unlock slide has to be removed? Will I be able to see or get to what I need to easily or will further disassembly be required?
Old 07-15-2014, 10:40 PM
GQ-ROD
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ToniJ1960
Well its something broke inside the door I mase a few comparisons to the drivers door.

Drivers door open, the handle on the outside wont lift all the way. Passenger side easily all the way.

With the turning part that holds the post pushed as if it were closed, drivers door resistance at the point it would stop otherwise, and then it releases the piece. Passenger door the same as before. No resistance still.

Something broke in the door. Guess the panel is coming off.

I found 4 screws at the bottom, one on the side and 6 in the handle part in the door.

Anything else Im not seeing? I think the lock unlock slide has to be removed? Will I be able to see or get to what I need to easily or will further disassembly be required?
When you get it disassembled, lube the snot out of everything that moves.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:21 AM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Someone told me its probably a clip that holds the rod to the outside door handle,and I can get them as a dorman part. I just dont know how to put one in.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:46 AM
GQ-ROD
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone told me its probably a clip that holds the rod to the outside door handle,and I can get them as a dorman part. I just dont know how to put one in.
Once you take the door panel apart and see which clip is broken it should be easy enough to replace it, just post back here with pics to get more help .
Old 07-16-2014, 04:39 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

OE/GM 16607593 Dorman 75455 The retainer may have failed OR the actual lever aspect of the handle (cast metal) could also have failed. That is common. I like the GM retainer.

The retainer/clip is still attached to this eBay offering if you want to see how it's attached.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-1985-Corvette-Door-Outside-Handles-Console-Lock-Rear-Buttons-w-ONE-KEY-/371028663828?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5663081e14&vxp=mtr
You can use other eBay offerings to check handle construction.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-16-2014 at 04:41 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 84 passenger door only opens from inside

Quick Reply: 84 passenger door only opens from inside