C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1995 C4/ZF6: Can't shift into reverse

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 09:21 AM
Deakins
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And Bill may be correct but I have never seen a syncro go from working to nothing that quick. There is usually a decent period of rough shifts followed by grinding and forcing followed by straight up abuse before it simply won't go at all. Just seems odd but I guess it is possible. It's not like reverse is used nearly as much as the forward gears. Keep us posted.
The following users liked this post:
MJ6 (08-18-2020)
Old 08-31-2014, 09:33 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by C5_Shopper
I can't get it into reverse with the engine off. It goes into 1-6 OK engine off or on.
That sounds like it's inside.. Stuff like that is typically, pins, forks, slider/synchro issue.

Yank it and have a look, imo.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:06 PM
C5_Shopper
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not sure that's something I could do, and from some reading it sounds like the parts are big money. I have a T56 in a 280Z project, but it looks like too much work to fit it to the C4. If I can't sell the car, I'll either see about doing an engine & trans swap or try to find a decent used ZF.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:50 AM
Deakins
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah they can be a bit of pain to get apart and back together (and as you pointed out the parts barely justify the effort anymore). Sounds like you have a decent plan put together.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:44 PM
CanyonVette
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure that's something I could do, and from some reading it sounds like the parts are big money. I have a T56 in a 280Z project, but it looks like too much work to fit it to the C4. If I can't sell the car, I'll either see about doing an engine & trans swap or try to find a decent used ZF.
Hey Im having the same issue with my 93. Just wanted to ask if you found what was causing the issue in yours???....mine was going good until I took a 45min road trip and the the end of that trip I couldnt get it in to reverse. My ZF has a B&M Ripper short shifter as well with the reverse lock out delete.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:02 PM
C5_Shopper
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I sold the car at the end of 2014. As I recall, the Amsoil helped the most.
The following users liked this post:
MJ6 (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 03:40 AM
MJ6
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear you never found the problem causing you to sell. It appears vehicles that have had engines and or transmissions removed for repair or replacement have problems due to bad mechanics not doing a proper job, sometimes with extra parts left over that they neglected to install. Believe me this happens more than one would think, and the problems usually start to show a week to months later. I read each post and was hoping you would announce you found the problem. The man from Iowa is correct regarding hydraulic parts especially "Dorman" they are notorious for shipping out bad parts that don't work they have a bad track record for the most upset customers. It's a shame the problem was not found, in the future there is a corvette shop located in Fla. that specializes in corvettes their name is D&S corvettes, they also have a you-tube site the owner is very knowledgeable and helps many people with questions, they also have a number listed to call them. Good luck to you and if you ever find what the problem was let us know please.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:31 PM
Mstrmekanik
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by MJ6
Sorry to hear you never found the problem causing you to sell. It appears vehicles that have had engines and or transmissions removed for repair or replacement have problems due to bad mechanics not doing a proper job, sometimes with extra parts left over that they neglected to install. Believe me this happens more than one would think, and the problems usually start to show a week to months later. I read each post and was hoping you would announce you found the problem. The man from Iowa is correct regarding hydraulic parts especially "Dorman" they are notorious for shipping out bad parts that don't work they have a bad track record for the most upset customers. It's a shame the problem was not found, in the future there is a corvette shop located in Fla. that specializes in corvettes their name is D&S corvettes, they also have a you-tube site the owner is very knowledgeable and helps many people with questions, they also have a number listed to call them. Good luck to you and if you ever find what the problem was let us know please.
I believe that you have a issue with the retainer clip to the reverse rod missing like mine... have to tear it apart to replace it.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:35 PM
Mstrmekanik
3rd Gear

I've browsed 250 threads via search here and have not seen this exact problem. The closest one I saw involved not being able to shift into 1st or reverse, and then occasionally other gears. My problem involves only reverse.

I've owned my C4 for several months. Shifting has never been a problem, and was not a problem until recently. It will shift into 1st through 6th just fine. The clutch does not slip at all. Shifting into reverse became difficult (more effort required) the last time I drove it, and tonight it would not go into reverse at all. It is the same with the engine running or off.

My car has about 155K miles, and the PO detailed records show a dealer replaced the transmission, TO bearing, clutch disk, and plate at 76K miles. The clutch MC was replaced at a dealer at 141K miles. I don't see a note where the slave was ever replaced.

Any advice or experience is welcome, thanks in advance.
I have the same issue removed shift **** because tension was gone on reverse lockout rod. Looks like some type of retainer clip is missing .
Old 08-10-2021, 04:21 AM
FelixP
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

There's a little grub screw on that rod, make sure it's tight or you won't get reverse. It's a tiny imperial allen socket
Old 08-15-2021, 10:10 AM
Mstrmekanik
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by FelixP
There's a little grub screw on that rod, make sure it's tight or you won't get reverse. It's a tiny imperial allen socket
I can pull the whole reverse rod out and reverse **** that has grub screw
Old 11-20-2021, 05:45 PM
FirstTimeVetteNJ
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am having a similar issue. I got a used 1992 with a ZF6. On the ride home and I didn't realize that someone had hose clamped the reverse collar in the up position. On the highway I was having trouble finding 6th as soon as I felt the roughness of the gear I went back to neutral then 6th. Did not grind the shifter into what I now know is reverse in anyway. I went to back out the car today and reverse will not engage. I can feel a slight vibration in the shift lever when I let out the clutch, but no engagement. I did some reading and saw that the collar should move up to get into reverse. When I slid down the shift boot I could see that the collar had been locked out so you could go into reverse at any time. Would that slight tap of the gears be enough to blowout reverse? Any help or ideas about what I could check would be very helpful.

Thank you,
David

Quick Reply: 1995 C4/ZF6: Can't shift into reverse