C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Ignition issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 10:19 PM
truggiero19
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Ignition issue

93 6 Speed LT1 Vette

So I finally got my motor back in my car after having it out all summer drilling the harmonic balancer bolt I broke off in the crank. Had to go one size larger and retap the hole. However, once I got everything hooked up I found the battery was dead. No surprise after sitting that long. Took forever to jump the car though and after it finally had enough juice to crank, it wouldn't fire. Just cranked over and over but no ignition.

I decided to just walk away from it for a while and grab some food and when I got back an hour and a half later the car fired immediately after the first crank and I was able to drive it home to my apartment from my friends garage with no problem.

The next morning however the car once again would not fire. Just cranked over and killed the battery really quickly. I pulled the ICM and brought it to NAPA to get tested and they said it was bad and would have a new one the next day.

The next day I installed the new ICM and after jump starting the car was able to get it started immediately without any hesitation at all.

I thought it was weird that the battery died so quickly so I brought it to Autozone to get tested and it was bad. They gave me a free new one off warranty. At this point I thought I was out of the woods because the car was running great.

3 Days later after the car died while idling at a stop light. Just turned off on its own. Didn't stumble or anything just like shutting off the key but it wouldn't restart again just cranked. Luckily I had a friend in the car to help me push it into a parking lot. While he was pushing I tried to refire it a couple of times because it seemed to be coughing or at least trying to fire. It did fire back up once but immediately killed itself again.

I pulled the ICM back off the car to bring back to NAPA to see if they had just given me a bad one. It tested bad so I just figured I got a bad one that it went out so fast (Yes I did use a lot of thermal paste when installing it).

Today the new ICM came in and I figured the car would just fire right up like last time. Much to my disappointment the car still just cranks and gets no spark.

I have a new MSD Blaster Coil coming in from Summit tomorrow. I'm hoping that might solve my problem.

I'm wondering if anyone of you have any suggestions or explainations as to why my car burned through both ICMs so quickly and what other steps I could take to help diagnose the problem.

Thank you for taking your time to read this. I probably wrote to much but wanted to be thorough.

-Tommy
Old 09-16-2014, 10:27 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

No 'service engine light' showing, which would signify codes set?
Old 09-16-2014, 10:42 PM
truggiero19
Racer

My bad. I cant believe I completely forgot to do the paper clip trick and test for codes after it died. There was no light while it was running but I have not checked after it died the last time. Car is about to get towed back to my place tonight. I will check on the codes once I get it back to my place.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:11 PM
truggiero19
Racer

It ended up being a bad coil. Replaced the coil and the car fired right up.

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition issue

Quick Reply: Ignition issue