C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fuel pressure test results

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 11:21 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Fuel pressure test results

Well I did my fuel pressure test to try to figure out why it was leaning out at high RPMs during WOT. I also filled the tank to confirm that it wasn't because the gas was low. Anyway, when I tested fuel pressure, it was at 28 PSI with the vacuum hose connected, and 35 with the vacuum hose disconnected. I had set it to 43 about a month ago, but I guess the adjustment bolt must have vibrated out. I used a nut to secure it this time though. So I took it out to test the fuel pressure. I floored it at about 2500 RPMs. First the fuel pressure went to 34 and about half a second later went to 31 all the way to 6000 RPMs. Then I set the fuel pressure to 50 with the hose disconnected. This time when I floored it it was about 1500-2000 RPMs. At first it hit 49 PSI, and a second later dropped to 47 PSI all the way to 6000 RPMs. I did video tape this so I could make sure I was seeing everything correctly.

I figured I would start a new thread since it would get more attention. Hope no one gets mad.

So anyway, does that amount of pressure difference indicate a bad fuel pump? Or is it just the way vacuum pressure works during WOT?

Thanks guys!
Old 10-28-2014, 08:06 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 466 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
Well I did my fuel pressure test to try to figure out why it was leaning out at high RPMs during WOT. I also filled the tank to confirm that it wasn't because the gas was low. Anyway, when I tested fuel pressure, it was at 28 PSI with the vacuum hose connected, and 35 with the vacuum hose disconnected. I had set it to 43 about a month ago, but I guess the adjustment bolt must have vibrated out. I used a nut to secure it this time though. So I took it out to test the fuel pressure. I floored it at about 2500 RPMs. First the fuel pressure went to 34 and about half a second later went to 31 all the way to 6000 RPMs. Then I set the fuel pressure to 50 with the hose disconnected. This time when I floored it it was about 1500-2000 RPMs. At first it hit 49 PSI, and a second later dropped to 47 PSI all the way to 6000 RPMs. I did video tape this so I could make sure I was seeing everything correctly.

I figured I would start a new thread since it would get more attention. Hope no one gets mad.

So anyway, does that amount of pressure difference indicate a bad fuel pump? Or is it just the way vacuum pressure works during WOT?

Thanks guys!

Fuel pressure is fine, so far. Go check your AFR and adjust the tune to hit your desired goal. If you cannot get to your desired goal and your fuel pressure is still 47 PSI (or above 43 PSI), you either have a tune problem or injectors that may be undersized. To determine that you will have to watch your duty cycle.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:29 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by bjankuski
injectors that may be undersized. To determine that you will have to watch your duty cycle.
I looked through the ECM code for my car and found these parameters. I knew there was a minimum injector pulse width but didn't know for sure if there was a maximum pulse width. You could be hitting that limit. Check your data logs for injector pulse width.

Code:
LC310:  FDB     111     ; Minimum Asynchronous Pulse Width, Cal = ms * 65.536, (1.69 ms)

LC312:  FDB     364     ; Maximum Asynchronous Pulse Width, Cal = ms * 65.536, (5.55 ms)
The asynchronous pulse width is used during WOT.

Last edited by Cliff Harris; 10-29-2014 at 02:34 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:37 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
I looked through the ECM code for my car and found these parameters. I knew there was a minimum injector pulse width but didn't know for sure if there was a maximum pulse width. You could be hitting that limit. Check your data logs for injector pulse width.

Code:
LC310:  FDB     111     ; Minimum Asynchronous Pulse Width, Cal = ms * 65.536, (1.69 ms)

LC312:  FDB     364     ; Maximum Asynchronous Pulse Width, Cal = ms * 65.536, (5.55 ms)
The asynchronous pulse width is used during WOT.
I data logged my injector pulse width with tuner pro. I don't know if that's accurate since the car is modified, but I think the highest pulse width was like 12.12. Came out to a duty cycle of 46.xx%
Old 10-30-2014, 09:44 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 466 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
I data logged my injector pulse width with tuner pro. I don't know if that's accurate since the car is modified, but I think the highest pulse width was like 12.12. Came out to a duty cycle of 46.xx%
Actually 92% duty cycle, don't forget the car is double fire system so you need to double your duty cycle.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:37 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

You would want to graph your injector pulse width vs. RPM to see if it flattens out at higher RPM. That could cause the lean out that you have been seeing.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel pressure test results

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure test results