C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

85 adjustable MAF, WILL IT HELP PER......

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 01:37 PM
nickpe
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 85 adjustable MAF, WILL IT HELP PER......

hELLO AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL,

I have a 1985 with performance cam. will an adjustable MAF help idle and performance. will I have to reburn chip.
In what ways will the adj MAF help performance?

As always thanks to all for input
Old 12-22-2014, 06:24 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Probably not and probably.

Might not help at all. Depends on whether the needs of your build actually exceed what you can pull through the stock MAF. You'd definitely want to "monitor" a scan to see what changes.

No guarantees an aftermarket (Granatelli?) MAF have a similar electronic "response" curve to the stock one...let alone flow differences. I'm skeptical that the same 3" opening would enable it to outflow a stock unit by 30%. If you buy one of those metal body units that are larger, then you'll at least outflow the stock Bosch unit.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:57 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Probably not and probably.

Might not help at all. Depends on whether the needs of your build actually exceed what you can pull through the stock MAF. You'd definitely want to "monitor" a scan to see what changes.

No guarantees an aftermarket (Granatelli?) MAF have a similar electronic "response" curve to the stock one...let alone flow differences. I'm skeptical that the same 3" opening would enable it to outflow a stock unit by 30%. If you buy one of those metal body units that are larger, then you'll at least outflow the stock Bosch unit.
Without that similar curve, will it throw the ECM for a spin and make it do unpredictable things? I would say that the best thing would be to get a tune for it on a dyno or datalog but for a stock system, is the gain that much to justify the cost? Besides, even if it outflows the stock unit but you cannot use it, will it matter?
Old 12-22-2014, 07:51 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm considering an adjustable MAF for my 85 396 Super Ram. The reason is that with higher air flow, the MAF tables in the tune max out and it's hard to adjust for lean BLMs.

If you've installed a different cam you may need a new chip anyway. In fact, a tune may be all you need.

Get notified of new replies

To 85 adjustable MAF, WILL IT HELP PER......

Quick Reply: 85 adjustable MAF, WILL IT HELP PER......