C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

intake manifold gasket time

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 03:34 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 75 Posts

Default intake manifold gasket time

Going to be replacing the intake manifold gasket set on my '93 LT1. While the manifold is off I plan on cleaning the dirt, grime and any oil sludge/carbon.

New fuel injector o-rings, gaskets and 'great stuff' permatex going on the china walls

Suggestions while the manifold is on the bench....cleaning the throttle body, IAC, and anything else? Please advise if you have done the job and know the facts!

Thanks- Ozz
Old 01-03-2015, 07:30 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozzstar
.....New fuel injector o-rings, gaskets and 'great stuff' permatex going on the china walls.....
I think you are looking at the correct material by Permatex, but make sure you use "The Right Stuff" by Permatex for making a gasket/sealer.

"Great Stuff" is made by Dow and is an expanding foam for filling construction gaps.

Good luck.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:38 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

I used Fel-Pro gaskets, which came with RTV for the China walls. The key is to use plenty so it gets squeezed out and forms a bead on the outside and inside of the China wall. The beads will hold the RTV in place so it won't move or leak, like so:

Old 01-04-2015, 05:41 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
I used Fel-Pro gaskets, which came with RTV for the China walls. The key is to use plenty so it gets squeezed out and forms a bead on the outside and inside of the China wall. The beads will hold the RTV in place so it won't move or leak, like so:

- make sure all surfaces are squeaky clean - I mean SQUEEKY clean! also, make sure you run the RTV from the china wall up and into the manifold gasket about 1/2 inch, and let the RTV cure about 24 hours before starting the engine. engine heat DOES NOT fast cure this stuff! I believe the 1/2 inch thing is covered in the FSM.

Last edited by Joe C; 01-04-2015 at 05:43 AM.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:57 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, squeeze a big 3/8" bead of Right Stuff silicone on the china walls. I use Permatex (IIRC) Gasket Seal and Tack for the intake to head gaskets. It will help hold the gaskets in place while dropping the intake into place. Make sure you use a small dab of sealer on the manifold bolts that go thru into the oil gallery or oil will creep up the threads and pool on the manifold. Dont do the ones that do not go thru as you run the risk of stripping the threads.

Good luck!
Old 01-06-2015, 08:12 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Originally Posted by QCVette
I think you are looking at the correct material by Permatex, but make sure you use "The Right Stuff" by Permatex for making a gasket/sealer.

"Great Stuff" is made by Dow and is an expanding foam for filling construction gaps.

Good luck.
Yes the Right Stuff thanks for correcting me. I am a home remodeling contractor and great stuff is what I had on my mind. LOL Thanks
Old 01-06-2015, 08:13 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Originally Posted by HlhnEast
Yes, squeeze a big 3/8" bead of Right Stuff silicone on the china walls. I use Permatex (IIRC) Gasket Seal and Tack for the intake to head gaskets. It will help hold the gaskets in place while dropping the intake into place. Make sure you use a small dab of sealer on the manifold bolts that go thru into the oil gallery or oil will creep up the threads and pool on the manifold. Dont do the ones that do not go thru as you run the risk of stripping the threads.

Good luck!
Thanks for the tip i appreciate it. I am figuring this is a good time to clean the throttle body and IAC. Any tips on that?
Old 01-06-2015, 08:14 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Originally Posted by Joe C
- make sure all surfaces are squeaky clean - I mean SQUEEKY clean! also, make sure you run the RTV from the china wall up and into the manifold gasket about 1/2 inch, and let the RTV cure about 24 hours before starting the engine. engine heat DOES NOT fast cure this stuff! I believe the 1/2 inch thing is covered in the FSM.
Thumbs UP , thanks
Old 01-06-2015, 08:34 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

On the LT1 manifold gaskets there are two plastic "nubs" on each intake gasket that press fit into the heads to hold the gaskets in place. When you take the manifold off and remove the old gaskets these "nubs" may break off (as two of the four did on me). Make sure you carefully cover the lifter galley before you pry the old nubs out. Otherwise they can fall into the galley and engine. Also stuff a rag into the adjacent intake ports on the heads. I had one nub go into one of the ports but was able to blow it out with my compressor. I carefully used a mini pick to get them out of their holes.

Because of the nubs you shouldn't need any gasket seal or tack when you install the manifold.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:14 AM
shaft1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to be replacing the intake manifold gasket set on my '93 LT1. While the manifold is off I plan on cleaning the dirt, grime and any oil sludge/carbon.

New fuel injector o-rings, gaskets and 'great stuff' permatex going on the china walls

Suggestions while the manifold is on the bench....cleaning the throttle body, IAC, and anything else? Please advise if you have done the job and know the facts!

Thanks- Ozz
I've seen your YouTube videos and they are great. I am new to the corvette scene so something to follow in doing this intake gasket job will be very beneficial in the future.

If you have not done the job and if its possible please do a tutorial video as a guide.

If the job is done please post some tips and tricks. Thank you.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:06 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Originally Posted by shaft1
I've seen your YouTube videos and they are great. I am new to the corvette scene so something to follow in doing this intake gasket job will be very beneficial in the future.

If you have not done the job and if its possible please do a tutorial video as a guide.

If the job is done please post some tips and tricks. Thank you.
Hey Shaft thanks for the compliment about my Youtube videos. Yes, I plan on filming and editing the intake gasket install soon. Stay tuned and thanks for watching. Take it easy - Ozz
Old 01-19-2015, 07:45 AM
shaft1
Instructor

Hey Shaft thanks for the compliment about my Youtube videos. Yes, I plan on filming and editing the intake gasket install soon. Stay tuned and thanks for watching. Take it easy - Ozz

Thank you for the heads up.

Is your intake gasket leaking?
Old 01-20-2015, 09:49 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Originally Posted by Silver96ce
On the LT1 manifold gaskets there are two plastic "nubs" on each intake gasket that press fit into the heads to hold the gaskets in place. When you take the manifold off and remove the old gaskets these "nubs" may break off (as two of the four did on me). Make sure you carefully cover the lifter galley before you pry the old nubs out. Otherwise they can fall into the galley and engine. Also stuff a rag into the adjacent intake ports on the heads. I had one nub go into one of the ports but was able to blow it out with my compressor. I carefully used a mini pick to get them out of their holes.

Because of the nubs you shouldn't need any gasket seal or tack when you install the manifold.
Good advice!
Old 02-22-2015, 04:36 PM
shaft1
Instructor

Did you get the chance to film the intake gasket install? Looking forward for another informative video.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:38 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Did you get the chance to film the intake gasket install? Looking forward for another informative video.
Yes Shaft I did film it. The engine is back together and all is good. Most of the video editing is complete (about 95%) and it will be a two part series, totalling around 26 minutes. I should be able to have it all together by this weekend, hopefully! Take it easy- Ozz
Old 02-24-2015, 08:27 AM
shaft1
Instructor

Yes Shaft I did film it. The engine is back together and all is good. Most of the video editing is complete (about 95%) and it will be a two part series, totalling around 26 minutes. I should be able to have it all together by this weekend, hopefully! Take it easy- Ozz
Thanks Ozz. Looking forward to it.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:47 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Thanks Ozz. Looking forward to it.
Did you see the intake gasket repair video yet Shaft? I posted both parts 1 and 2 in a thread in the tech section

part 1
Old 03-07-2015, 06:58 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Ozz, if its not too late, the IAC passages are pretty much just spraying out with a bit of carb type cleaner. Nothing special there. Just make sure the pintle seat is clean and I think people put a drop or two of oil on the pintle rod at the bottom to give it a little lube.

Get notified of new replies

To intake manifold gasket time

Quick Reply: intake manifold gasket time