C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 02:19 PM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by samples45
Hey thansk alot man! learned some stuff i wasnt for sure on! what about the TB its self? could i replace that with a aftermarket one? or should i?
Stock 48mm throttle body flows about 780CFM it will operate well until the CU IN is increased, cam & larger heads, intake manifold, exhaust etc are changed.

Suggest checking the throttle shaft to housing clearance they tend to wear in that area otherwise they are golden.

The RPM limits for a l98 engine are primarily due to the intake manifold design, small heads + small exhaust however they produce 350 ft lbs of torque from the factory. They are great street engines when tied to a 700 auto trans. If twisting the snot out of it & using a manual trans is the goal the intake, heads, cam & exhaust will need to be changed + a dyno tune to burn a new prom.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:14 PM
samples45
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchkey
Stock 48mm throttle body flows about 780CFM it will operate well until the CU IN is increased, cam & larger heads, intake manifold, exhaust etc are changed.

Suggest checking the throttle shaft to housing clearance they tend to wear in that area otherwise they are golden.

The RPM limits for a l98 engine are primarily due to the intake manifold design, small heads + small exhaust however they produce 350 ft lbs of torque from the factory. They are great street engines when tied to a 700 auto trans. If twisting the snot out of it & using a manual trans is the goal the intake, heads, cam & exhaust will need to be changed + a dyno tune to burn a new prom.
what if i just wanna hop the motor up a little bit? what do you think i should? my goal is for it to be a show truck but i want it to sound good and have a little bit more power then stock ya know? and im gonna be running the stock 700r4. i was gonna hace a shift kit put in the trans. thanks!
Old 01-26-2015, 11:10 AM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by samples45
what if i just wanna hop the motor up a little bit? what do you think i should? my goal is for it to be a show truck but i want it to sound good and have a little bit more power then stock ya know? and im gonna be running the stock 700r4. i was gonna hace a shift kit put in the trans. thanks!
Suggest freshening the engine & leaving it basically stock. With 350 ft lbs of torque you will be pleasantly surprised at how good they pull from idle to 4800 rpm.
A bigger cam can be added later if the need arises but with a bigger cam you will also need a higher stall speed converter + a tune.

The 700r4 has a 3.06 first gear, couple it to a rear gear in the mid 3's
& you can easily melt the hides & impress the kiddies. A shift kit is ok in my book.

The l98 engines sound good with long tube headers & dual exhaust.
Header selection is limited with the aluminum Vette #113 heads they have 3/8" raised exhaust ports like the Chevy ZZ4 heads. A set of Vette headers should fit your truck chassis or Patriot H8055 will fit the Vette heads however they are 3/4 length. The Patriot H8055 are designed for a tri-5 Chevy they fit tight/close to the engine.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:49 AM
samples45
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchkey
Suggest freshening the engine & leaving it basically stock. With 350 ft lbs of torque you will be pleasantly surprised at how good they pull from idle to 4800 rpm.
A bigger cam can be added later if the need arises but with a bigger cam you will also need a higher stall speed converter + a tune.

The 700r4 has a 3.06 first gear, couple it to a rear gear in the mid 3's
& you can easily melt the hides & impress the kiddies. A shift kit is ok in my book.

The l98 engines sound good with long tube headers & dual exhaust.
Header selection is limited with the aluminum Vette #113 heads they have 3/8" raised exhaust ports like the Chevy ZZ4 heads. A set of Vette headers should fit your truck chassis or Patriot H8055 will fit the Vette heads however they are 3/4 length. The Patriot H8055 are designed for a tri-5 Chevy they fit tight/close to the engine.
Okay sweet! I have a disk brake posi that I plan to use. It's 3:73 gears. Hopefully that works good? Thanks for the advice the patriot headers!
Old 01-26-2015, 03:31 PM
eutu1984
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

If you have the money and want to keep the TPI look you can get a FIRST intake.
https://www.firstfuelinjection.com/services.html

Quick Reply: advice please!