C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Window problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 12:23 AM
wbdaily
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window problem

My 84 drivers side window rolls down 3/4 of the way and then stops. I can roll it up and down but it never goes all the way down, stops in exactly the same place. Is there a limit switch or stop switch inside the motor? I replaced the switch but just have not yet gone in the door. Baffled by its stopping in exactly the same place.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:47 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

off the top of my head, there are no limit "switches" on the 84-86 power window regulators. I never paid attention to the regulator details, but I'm thinking it just some sort of mechanical stops. your issue sounds like something with the nylon ribbon - most likely you have a break somewhere or something's binding. roll out the tool box, and start taking the door apart for this repair. replacement ribbons are about $20, and a fairly easy fix. if you want to get serious, you can upgrade to the later C4 regulators (87-up). used sets usually run somewhere around $150/pair. not a hard job - just did it on my 85.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:55 AM
cigr
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe C
off the top of my head, there are no limit "switches" on the 84-86 power window regulators. I never paid attention to the regulator details, but I'm thinking it just some sort of mechanical stops. your issue sounds like something with the nylon ribbon - most likely you have a break somewhere or something's binding. roll out the tool box, and start taking the door apart for this repair. replacement ribbons are about $20, and a fairly easy fix. if you want to get serious, you can upgrade to the later C4 regulators (87-up). used sets usually run somewhere around $150/pair. not a hard job - just did it on my 85.
I changed out the ribbon on my '85 because the old one broke. The new ribbon broke about 3 weeks later, so I upgraded to the newer mechanism. Honestly it was just as much work to change the ribbon as it was to put the newer regulator in, and the newer one works so much better. I was lucky and got a used one off ebay for just under $100 shipped.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:49 AM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

They are mechanical stops as I recall. If I go into my doors again (OK, when I go into them again), I'll replace the window regulator system with the later one. Mine are really slow up and down in my 86. Like cigr said, if you're in there, you may as well fix it to make it better, not more of the same.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:36 PM
corvettenorway
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

http://webpages.charter.net/khasting...windowreg.html
Old 01-30-2015, 01:03 PM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Pretty useful link, Norway. Thanks!
Old 01-30-2015, 03:43 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by wbdaily
My 84 drivers side window rolls down 3/4 of the way and then stops.
May be the plastic ribbon gear is broken or an obstruction stopping the movement.

Originally Posted by cigr
I changed out the ribbon on my '85 because the old one broke. Honestly it was just as much work to change the ribbon as it was to put the newer regulator in, and the newer one works so much better.
My replacements lasted longer but after 30 years, switched to the newer, faster mechanism, found used but in excellent condition. There was a hole or two that needed to be drilled for the mount; instructions available online.

Whichever way you go, clean the guides and re-lube, as the old lube gets more like glue after years of dirt and moisture.

Get notified of new replies

To Window problem

Quick Reply: Window problem