C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Shop Recommendation in Massachusetts

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 11:00 AM
ClaudioC4
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Shop Recommendation in Massachusetts

Does anyone have a recommendation and or experience on a good speed shop in SE Mass.?

I am looking to replace the heads, cam, and tune on my 85. The more research I do the more I see that this type of work is beyond my technical ability.

If anyone has personal experience I would appreciate the input and advice.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:53 PM
cormorant71
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi,

I live in Taunton and I would love to share some vette information!

#1 to avoid - Corvettes & Classics

Corvette Mikes in Plymouth is very good contact Elaine Kemp

Dave T. is a retired GM tech. and does great work with vettes. I have his phone number, if interested PM me.

For the work you listed I know of 2 other auto places in Taunton that can do the work and do it well. Leo's Auto on Winthrop St. Leo has been my mechanic for years and does a great job. Not cheap, but not the most expensive, the work is awesome. For heads, cam, and tune up he would be perfect. Also Walt's Auto on RT 138 in Taunton is very good as well for what you want; they dont specialize in corvettes but do a lot of work on them. Fair prices too.

Hope to see you at Foxboro this spring, keep us updated and keep in touch.

C
Old 01-29-2015, 04:08 PM
ClaudioC4
Racer

Originally Posted by cormorant71
Hi,

I live in Taunton and I would love to share some vette information!

#1 to avoid - Corvettes & Classics

Corvette Mikes in Plymouth is very good contact Elaine Kemp

Dave T. is a retired GM tech. and does great work with vettes. I have his phone number, if interested PM me.

For the work you listed I know of 2 other auto places in Taunton that can do the work and do it well. Leo's Auto on Winthrop St. Leo has been my mechanic for years and does a great job. Not cheap, but not the most expensive, the work is awesome. For heads, cam, and tune up he would be perfect. Also Walt's Auto on RT 138 in Taunton is very good as well for what you want; they dont specialize in corvettes but do a lot of work on them. Fair prices too.

Hope to see you at Foxboro this spring, keep us updated and keep in touch.

C
Thanks, I am in Somerset so only about 15 minutes from Taunton. I know where Leo's is my wife works in Taunton and lived there for years so I am very familiar.

I did not know about a Foxboro show do you have a date or web site. I bought my 85 Vette last september, she was a basket case that I am slowly turning into something nicer. It is my 1st Vette and I think the car and the people who own them are great, so now I am hooked!

Thanks,
Claudio
Old 01-29-2015, 05:31 PM
77vette05
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Contact Slowhawk. http://www.slowhawkperformance.com/ There in Bridgewater MA. They mostly work on C5, C6, and C7's. I would give Don a call talk it over with him. See if hey will do the work? Don and Nick are well known for there skills with Vettes.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:06 AM
cormorant71
Racer

Originally Posted by ClaudioC4
I did not know about a Foxboro show do you have a date or web site. I bought my 85 Vette last september, she was a basket case that I am slowly turning into something nicer. It is my 1st Vette and I think the car and the people who own them are great, so now I am hooked!

Thanks,
Claudio
I also know a paint guy if the need arises. I Bought a basket case '88 and did the same thing, it was a very enjoyable experience. I actually miss that car quite a bit. My '94 is better in every measurable way, but the one I restored is special.

Here is the link to the Foxboro show, it is really cool, lots of vettes, mustangs, and the challengers are growing every month. http://www.patriot-place.com/masscruisers#.VMt_wdLF-So

Basically the show runs every other thursday from april till halloween, the halloween show is very cool!

on the opposite thursdays there is a great show at the dog track in raynham, that is a great time too. saturdays in the summer at the pep boys in raynham there is a small show with a very good DJ. and the wal mart in seekonk on sundays (i think) has a pretty good gathering. and the vettetacular by the sea in RI was awesome last year.

that should get you started, april is right around the corner, post some pictures

C
Old 01-30-2015, 08:08 AM
cormorant71
Racer

Originally Posted by 77vette05
Contact Slowhawk. http://www.slowhawkperformance.com/ There in Bridgewater MA. They mostly work on C5, C6, and C7's. I would give Don a call talk it over with him. See if hey will do the work? Don and Nick are well known for there skills with Vettes.
thanks for the link, always good to know more places to keep our ladies healthy
Old 01-30-2015, 09:51 AM
ClaudioC4
Racer

I had seen slowhawk performance online, it did seem like they do specialize in newer generations, but you are right it does not hurt to inquire. I know there are few places that specialize in Mustangs, but I prefer someone who is very familiar with a sbc.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:29 PM
77vette05
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem. Slowhawk is known across the country.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:21 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by ClaudioC4
I had seen slowhawk performance online, it did seem like they do specialize in newer generations, but you are right it does not hurt to inquire. I know there are few places that specialize in Mustangs, but I prefer someone who is very familiar with a sbc.
Listen- you are very VERY lucky you're close by bridgewater, and slowhawk performance. I am on my 3rd vehicle (GTO G8 now C5Z) getting work done by Don and he's the man- has a wicked clean shop always filled w/ nice GM rigs. I doubt he has any issue working on a C4 as I routinely see 60s and 70s era muscle cars and vettes in his place.

Again- extremely lucky such a legit tuner/builder/performance mechanic is that close especially in MA, very rare. If we were in TX, MI, FL, NC, etc well then there's lots of options.

Hell we don't even have a damn 1/4 mile track in MA...

Have also heard decent things about black label performance in Cranston, RI but have no personal experience so cannot vouch for them

Last edited by C5Dobie; 02-25-2015 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:23 PM
cormorant71
Racer

We have a great track in MA it's call Interstate 495!
Old 02-26-2015, 02:58 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

We have a great track in MA it's call Interstate 495!
Yeah, do you know the charge for trapping 100 on the dot? pretty damn steep!!! Good thing I have a few friends on the force....
Old 02-27-2015, 05:30 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

My club runs autocrosses @ Devens as well as attends event at New England Dragway, NHIS & Lime Rock

You're all invited
Old 03-05-2015, 10:09 AM
cormorant71
Racer

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
My club runs autocrosses @ Devens as well as attends event at New England Dragway, NHIS & Lime Rock

You're all invited
what club are you a member of, and do you have a schedule of events and a contact link/info?

thanks

c
Old 03-05-2015, 10:16 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

what club are you a member of, and do you have a schedule of events and a contact link/info?

thanks

c
Corvette Club
SCCA

www.baystatecorvetteclub.com

You can also get the events here

http://www.motorsportreg.com/
Old 03-05-2015, 01:27 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham

You're all invited
I will take you up on that, while that devens airport track is in MA, for me Thompson Speedway in CT is actually almost 1/2 the distance (I'm closer to RI)...either way, it'd be good to let the Z stretch its legs legally someplace other than the dragstrip. I have been to epping plenty of times - previously on my crotch rocket(s), w/ my GTO, and w/ my G8 GT (both automatics)

I would not take my C5Z to the dragstrip though...tires, clutches, transmissions, rear ends, etc. are all too expensive. Car isn't made for it. Its alot less stressful (IMO anyhow) on a heavy automatic tranny car like the GTO/G8 than something like the Z. And frankly I could care less what it runs in the 1/4...I already clocked 11.2's and 10.7's on 600 and 1000cc bikes - doubt I'll be getting a car going that fast down the strip any time soon lol
Old 03-05-2015, 01:54 PM
cormorant71
Racer

Great, i was chatting with a member of your club and thinking of joining.

C

Old 03-05-2015, 05:11 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

scda1.com runs events at Thompson

some club members want to go down there.

We're all over NE
LimeRock for instance

Get notified of new replies

To Shop Recommendation in Massachusetts

Old 03-05-2015, 05:34 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

All the Ft Devens events on one calender
https://www.google.com/calendar/embe...erica/New_York
Old 04-06-2015, 08:41 PM
BrianCunningham