C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Camshaft for 85 vette

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 11:23 PM
Johninator
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft for 85 vette

A buddy of mine has this cam that he said he will sell me for $50 with the lifters, all brand new in box still.
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/lun-10120705

He had a 1975 camaro and sold it. So my question is, would this fit my 85 vette? I really don't know anything about cams, never really looked into it, just at a few on TPIS's website. Figured if it will fit then for $50, it would be worth it to throw on the shelf for a rainy day.

If it will fit, is this a mild or aggressor cam? Any info on it would help me out.
Thanks
Old 02-13-2015, 11:41 PM
Crash594
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If you read the application chart in the link you supplied it will not work on an 85
Old 02-14-2015, 12:32 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

That cam will make your car feel like a complete dog! The duration is too high, that cam will want 7500 RPMs, TPI falls off around 4500.

Also, that lift is too high for stock heads. If I recall correctly, stock heads can handle 0.480" before they need machine work.

And thirdly, a mild cam throws off the computer by a ton, this is a pretty radical cam and you can expect to have a lot of overlap which is really going to throw off the computer. It's hard enough to tune an '85 ECM, this cam will make it 10 times harder. And good luck finding someone who can tune an '85 ECM as it is a one year old computer.

Also, to make any modification worthwhile on a 1985 Corvette, the heads should be changed first. They are giant paperweights.

It wasn't until I did my head change that my car started to get fast.

Your best bet is to leave it alone. I went through a year of tuning with a few people until I finally decided forget this and learned to do it myself. I had a lot of driveability problems without a proper tune.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:13 PM
ClaudioC4
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Current pewrformance upgrades on my 85 with 135K miles

Adjustable fuel regulator (set to 42PSI)
Cut air filter box with K&N
TB Bypass
Air Pump Delete
Cat Delete
Magnaflow Cat-Back

The performance upgrades that I plan for my 85 are long tube headers I already have exhaust with car delete.

Underdrive pulleys (March), ported intake, plenum, and edelbrock runners, then aluminum heads probably edelbrock.

Will I need to do anything with the ecu with this list?

My goal is a good driving reliable car with hopefully around 250 rwhp. And beat my cousin's 2010 Mustang with cat back exhaust!
Old 02-14-2015, 11:23 PM
LongBeachC4
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Tooo much cam, I doubt it will even run.

Get notified of new replies

To Camshaft for 85 vette

Quick Reply: Camshaft for 85 vette