C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

to much traction/engine bog down?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 10:51 PM
chadk
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default to much traction/engine bog down?

Guys, I had something weird happen to me the other day in the vett that I keep replaying in me head and try to figure out what happened.

So I took my friend out for a cruise, I was gonna show off a little and do a burn out. (I have burned out several times so I know how to do it). When I dumped the clutch the car acted like it was in 3rd gear. It didn't burn out nor did the engine rev up. It felt like the engine just bogged down. Again like in 3rd gear. On my way home I got that bad feeling in my gut that the clutch was going out and chalked it up to that. The weird thing is I think and I cant remember for sure is that I tried it again but checked to make sure it was in first gear before hand. Same thing happened. I know this doesn't make sense to most of you but I was embarassed and dumbfounded at the time.

So tonight I checked the clutch by driving in 4th gear at 15mph and gave it about half throttle. The clutch seemed good.

The day it happened It was very warm out. I recently purchased some new tires. Nitto 555's (285/40 R17). I have a 95 LT1 with 6 speed. Could the traction of these tires prevent the car from spinning out? I have spun out in these tires before but on cooler days. Also, one can tell what type of road will allow better burn outs. The road in question looked like it would provide optimal traction. Could I being running with less HP do to problem with the engine? I don't know. Maybe I didn't have the RPM up enough. after all I really don't like beating on my car.

One more thing I forgot to mention is that just before this happened I turned the car off to get out and move some things around in the cargo department. Could heat soak have anything to do with this?

Last edited by chadk; 05-06-2015 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:56 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Traction control on?

Gas level in the tank low?

Not enough RPM for new tires?

People don't usually complain about "too much traction". If the engine was *******, that is another matter. Does it drive normally in all other situations?
Old 05-06-2015, 11:34 PM
chadk
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Traction control on?

Gas level in the tank low?

Not enough RPM for new tires?

People don't usually complain about "too much traction". If the engine was *******, that is another matter. Does it drive normally in all other situations?
You know I didn't want to muddy the diagnosis up but before this happened at a stop sign I accelerated pretty hard and the engine seemed like it cut out, almost like no spark or fuel. It only lasted a split second but enough to know something happened.

The tank was low at that point so I fueled up to about half a tank. I was thinking in my head that maybe the fuel pickup tube in the tank went dry for a second. After I fueled up is when I went down the country road for the burn out I explained in my first post.

Other than this the car runs great. Starts good, accelerates good. I rarely have ever floored the gas peddle as the car has awsome torque from the get go. I have had the car a year so far and I probably have only had the throttle to the floor maybe twice but that's only once it was moving along good. Like I said before, I have burned out before with no problems. I'm just super paranoid and want to be proactive on something that may be failing.

The car has 115K miles so I try not to beat it. I have no idea what has been done to the car before me. I think I'm like the 7th owner. but the car is super clean and everything works! I have fixed several small things on it. I cleaned the throttle body for PM over the winter. Its a pretty sound car.

Traction control! ****! I think i turned it off?? I know I had it off earlier but I did turn car off for a second. Lets say it was.

sorry for long post.

Last edited by chadk; 05-06-2015 at 11:39 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:41 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

I guess if it were me, I'd go out and beat on it again (it can take it), and try to obtain a better understanding of the problem, if there even is one.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:27 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,044 Posts

You mentioned a couple of times that you were unsure if your clutch was going out. If that were the case, your rpms would go up and the car wouldn't move. If the engine boggs and the rpms drop and the car doesn't move, your clutch is operating properly. At the racetrack (where you should be doing your stunt) burn outs are done after the tires are wet so as not to damage the drivetrain.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:08 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Hi

There has to be something wrong, lighting the tires up is always too easy getting traction off the line is a bitch. As others have mentioned check your rpm to see if the clutch slips, iff not there is an issue such as traction control on or throttle position sensor fault.

Disconnect the battery the ecm may have the timing retarded, i find disconnecting the ecm wire or battery solves most issues.
The ecm can get itself in knots trying to compensate for a bad sensor.

When has the fuel filter been replaced last?

What fuel pressure do you have, is the fuel pump on the way out?

Do you have normal power at high rpm ?

I would check the timing, throttle position sensor.

You should be able to spin the wheels in first or second gear real easy without too many rpm, before dropping the clutch.

New tires are no problem in fact they spin easily till the molding coating has worn off.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:20 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I guess if it were me, I'd go out and beat on it again (it can take it)
Traction control on?
Theres a message here somewhere
Old 07-11-2015, 12:12 AM
chadk
Racer

I have been following this thread since the beginning. Is changing a clutch in a ZF transmission that foreign now days that one would have to question what they are getting. ****, I'm thinking what the heck am I going to get into when the time comes that I need to replace mine. Is it really this difficult?
Old 07-11-2015, 12:55 AM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chadk
I have been following this thread since the beginning. Is changing a clutch in a ZF transmission that foreign now days that one would have to question what they are getting. ****, I'm thinking what the heck am I going to get into when the time comes that I need to replace mine. Is it really this difficult?
It's not hard....well it might be hard finding parts if you need a new flywheel, and want to keep it dual-mass.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:58 AM
Mishawaka
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

What is the benefit of keeping it a dual mass?
Old 07-11-2015, 08:34 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

How are your o2 sensors
Old 07-11-2015, 11:42 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by Mishawaka
What is the benefit of keeping it a dual mass?
Keeps the transmission quiet.

I think the OP has left the thread. but based on this quote...
Traction control! ****! I think i turned it off?? I know I had it off earlier but I did turn car off for a second.
...I'd say that his ASR was turned on, causing his "problem".
Old 07-12-2015, 01:44 AM
chadk
Racer

Keeps the transmission quiet.

I think the OP has left the thread. but based on this quote...

...I'd say that his ASR was turned on, causing his "problem".
Tom400CFI, I think you are right. I must have had it on. I have not had any problems with car since then.

I did not mean to bring this thread back to life. I was trying to reply to another thread and my comment about changing clutches ended up here?? I swear i don't know how the heck that happened. Maybe the site administrator could take this thread down for me as I am somewhat embarrassed about it. I know I sounded like a dumb ***. I probably had the car in 3rd gear or like you said traction control on.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:38 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by chadk
I am somewhat embarrassed about it. I know I sounded like a dumb ***.
Not at all. You know how many times I've staged/launched my car (first pass of the night) at the drag track, w/the TC ON? Tons. Know how many auto-x starts I've done w/a nice BOG, b/c I had the TC ON? Probably every first-run-of-the-day. People forget and the car defaulting to TC ON every time you start it, doesn't help. No need to be embarrassed at all, IMO.

Get notified of new replies

To to much traction/engine bog down?

Quick Reply: to much traction/engine bog down?