C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

what does it take to burn my stinking tires!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 09:10 AM
dgantt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One other thing the instruction mannual for the MSD 6AL ignition box states to NOT use a digital timing light or dial back timing light. Has anyone timed theirs with this mod and if so what did you use. Thanks
Old 05-12-2015, 09:16 AM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

I'm assuming with your mods on a SD car you have had the car tuned? If you haven't, that could be part of the problem.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:20 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

You still haven't said if you have the ASR active.......
Old 05-12-2015, 09:27 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by rocco16
You still haven't said if you have the ASR active.......
Its a 90 no ASR
Old 05-12-2015, 10:53 AM
jimmers
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dgantt
1990 rebuilt motor and trans (yes auto), 355, head work, cam, open air box with KN, ported plenum, 52mm throttle body, edelbrock high flow runners and intake, 24 lb injectors and high flow fuel pump, new tune up parts ( sensors, plugs, distributor cap/rotor 8.5mm MSD plugs, MSD coil, MSD 6al box) exotic muscle long tube headers & X pipe, no CATs, true dual exhaust, corsa CAT back 3:54 gear ratio and a supposed tune. No traction control on mine dont know if thatwas an option and brand new 295s on the rear. I dont want to destroy my tires but every once and again its fun to drive the car like a corvette!
I have a very similar setup to you, but with no CATS and 315 tires in the rear. I can easily light up the tires if I stomp on it. I'd look in into your tune.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:13 AM
dgantt
Instructor

Any body know where I can get a tune OBD1 tuner needed!
Old 05-12-2015, 12:02 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 466 Likes on 369 Posts

You will need a tune to work with the mods and you may need a stall speed depending on the cam you have. (make sure to check the basics like fuel pressure and timing)
Old 05-12-2015, 12:13 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Strange I have the opposite problem. Mine spins like crazy if Im not careful. 383 with 3.73 gears and automatic.

The 86 coupe I had was 350 with 3.07's I think and manual trans and it was spin tires pretty easy too even before the supercharger.

As mentioned Id check the timing. Its makes all the difference in the world performance wise.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:11 PM
dgantt
Instructor

Fuel pressure is right on the money.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:08 PM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

That's good news!

Good 60 foot times and great tire wear.

You have a good set up.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:51 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Hi

Yes any C4 will easilly spin the tires, too easilly in fact.

Are you running a high stall converter? does it match your torque curve?

I know from past experience a high stall converter needs to be matched to the torque band, you can get a situation where it can bog down before your engine makes it best horsepower.

Does your transmission start with first gear? have you tried selecting first and hit the accellerator pedal.

Do not trust your harmonic ballancer timing marks, the outer ring can slip so your 6 before TDC may be retarded 20 degrees?

I usually just advance the distributor and when i can hear pinging i back it of a little so its on the sweet spot.

So in short at what RPM does the engine really start to make good power, a hot cam will need a stall converter to match where the power is good not too low not too high.

Is the TV cable adjusted correctly for full trans pressure at max throttle? Are you sure it is not slipping or the diff clutches worn. You will however know that is the case if the rpms go up with no forward motion.

Good luck.

Last edited by gerardvg; 05-12-2015 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:51 PM
dgantt
Instructor

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Hi

Yes any C4 will easilly spin the tires, too easilly in fact.

Are you running a high stall converter? does it match your torque curve?

I know from past experience a high stall converter needs to be matched to the torque band, you can get a situation where it can bog down before your engine makes it best horsepower.

Does your transmission start with first gear? have you tried selecting first and hit the accellerator pedal.

Do not trust your harmonic ballancer timing marks, the outer ring can slip so your 6 before TDC may be retarded 20 degrees?

I usually just advance the distributor and when i can hear pinging i back it of a little so its on the sweet spot.

So in short at what RPM does the engine really start to make good power, a hot cam will need a stall converter to match where the power is good not too low not too high.

Is the TV cable adjusted correctly for full trans pressure at max throttle? Are you sure it is not slipping or the diff clutches worn. You will however know that is the case if the rpms go up with no forward motion.

Good luck.
Great questions, no after market stall as far I know. When running threw the gears manually I can only put the car down into second but it will start in first and then shift to second but I cant put the car down into first and keep it there. Just a mild street cam 224/224@.050, .460 lift, 114 lobe center. Heads have bigger valves 2.02/1.60. I dont know howto check the TV cable and an not that good to tune the distrub by ear yet. Can you hear the pinging at idol if the car is to advanced or does it have to be WOT? Thanks for all the food for thought.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:39 AM
dgantt
Instructor

Im about to check my timing but first I want to see if my distributor is advancing under WOT, how do I check that? thanks
Old 05-13-2015, 12:00 PM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Im about to check my timing but first I want to see if my distributor is advancing under WOT, how do I check that? thanks
Disconnect the spark timing wire @ the brake booster its a single black weather-pack male/female connector, wire color is tan with a black stripe. Adjust initial timing, factory suggests 6* BTDC.
Plug the EST wire together the timing will automatically advance =
EST is working.
If you have any engine noise like solid roller lifters or noisy long tubes etc the knock sensors may be pulling timing out.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:13 PM
dgantt
Instructor

Originally Posted by Churchkey
Disconnect the spark timing wire @ the brake booster its a single black weather-pack male/female connector, wire color is tan with a black stripe. Adjust initial timing, factory suggests 6* BTDC.
Plug the EST wire together the timing will automatically advance =
EST is working.
If you have any engine noise like solid roller lifters or noisy long tubes etc the knock sensors may be pulling timing out.
Thanks churchkey, anyway to test that the EST is working? thanks
Old 05-13-2015, 12:37 PM
dgantt
Instructor

Rookie question so dont beat me up please, I have only timed the car once but seems I remember that when I pulled the throttle cable and the RPMs came up up the timing advanced itself and I could see it by the distrubitor physically move clockwise and then counter clock wise when I let of the throttle. Is this correct or could it have been because I had the distributor bolt loosened a touch to set timing.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:46 PM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 150 Posts

To check for ign timing advancing leave the timing connector hooked up, hook up the light to #1 plug wire, point the timing light at the balancer & rev up the engine. The timing mark should move way off the scale. At idle the mark probably won't be on the scale anyways.

Get notified of new replies

To what does it take to burn my stinking tires!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-13-2015, 01:47 PM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 150 Posts

Rookie question so dont beat me up please, I have only timed the car once but seems I remember that when I pulled the throttle cable and the RPMs came up up the timing advanced itself and I could see it by the distrubitor physically move clockwise and then counter clock wise when I let of the throttle. Is this correct or could it have been because I had the distributor bolt loosened a touch to set timing.
The distributor should not move. Snug that bolt down.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:05 PM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

It would be good to know which 295 tires you are using. 295/45R17 M/T ET Street Radial II? 295/35R17 track tires? 295/35R18 whatever tires? 295 not a very common size for a C4, but can work. What kind of attire?

Tall, wide, heavy, sticky tire and wheel combination?
Old 05-13-2015, 03:57 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

1990 rebuilt motor and trans, 355, head work, cam, open air box with KN, ported plenum, 52mm throttle body, Edelbrock high flow runners and intake, 24 lb injectors and high flow fuel pump, new tune up parts ( sensors, plugs, distributor cap/rotor 8.5mm MSD plugs, MSD coil, MSD 6al box) Exotic Muscle long tube headers & X pipe, no CATs, true dual exhaust, Corsa CAT back 3:54 gear ratio.
Rookie question so don't beat me up please.
You've got a really nice set-up. Did you buy the car that way? Do you know who built the engine? Don't be afraid to ask them for help. Is there a Corvette club in your area? You deserve to be very happy with your performance!

Quick Reply: what does it take to burn my stinking tires!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!