C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Removing door panel from 84

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 02:15 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Removing door panel from 84

Ok I know there are a couple of videos on how to do this on youtube, but neither ones is exactly the same as my 84. And they both do it a little differently. One person takes the screws out of the lock bezel area and the other one just leaves them in.

I only need to reach in enough to put a new rods clip in and put the rod back that fell out.

So, on the 84 is there a screw under the light? Is there one under the lock slide? Should I have the lock slide in lock or unlock position before I pry it out?

Also, my battery terminal bolts are not in good shape, and would like to avoid taking them off more than necessary right now. Can I just remove a few fuses to make it safe to do this?

P.S.is there a right and left clip?

Last edited by ToniJ1960; 05-24-2015 at 02:15 PM. Reason: ps
Old 05-25-2015, 03:13 AM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Maybe general discussion is a better place for this? I thought maybe technical since Im wondering about the fuse situation.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:00 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by ToniJ1960
Maybe general discussion is a better place for this? I thought maybe technical since Im wondering about the fuse situation.
New battery bolts are about $4 at any part store I have a 94 lock slide will snap off either way but I put it forward to reinstall.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:33 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Ok I know there are a couple of videos on how to do this on youtube, but neither ones is exactly the same as my 84. And they both do it a little differently. One person takes the screws out of the lock bezel area and the other one just leaves them in.

I only need to reach in enough to put a new rods clip in and put the rod back that fell out.

So, on the 84 is there a screw under the light? Is there one under the lock slide? Should I have the lock slide in lock or unlock position before I pry it out?

Also, my battery terminal bolts are not in good shape, and would like to avoid taking them off more than necessary right now. Can I just remove a few fuses to make it safe to do this?

P.S.is there a right and left clip?
you don't need to disconnect the battery to take a door panel off
Old 05-25-2015, 11:38 AM
Ahnenerbe
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Taking it off is fairly easy. You have the screws on the bottom, side and middle. Pull the lock slide out, undo the wires for lock etc and you are done. No need to mess with battery.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:23 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

The big difference in the years seems to be the screw in the handle/lock bezel. One youtube video the guy took the panel off without removing them I think. I guess I will see.

On my 84 the battery terminal bolts are captive how do you get them out I thought I would have to replace both cables.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:34 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

The big difference in the years seems to be the screw in the handle/lock bezel. One youtube video the guy took the panel off without removing them I think. I guess I will see.

On my 84 the battery terminal bolts are captive how do you get them out I thought I would have to replace both cables.
They should come out never did that one but many others just have to work them out.

Get notified of new replies

To Removing door panel from 84

Quick Reply: Removing door panel from 84