C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Over hauling Opti?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 12:30 PM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Over hauling Opti?

When I put a different engine in last year with one with less than 33000 miles, I replaced the opti at the time. I'm sure the original was ok, but can that be bench tested? And how, if it can? I would like it as a backup for the future. Do those overhaul kits good quality components? This is a 93, so I would like to add the vents to it. I have seen that posted on the forum but not the overhaul.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:44 PM
01 Coupe
Racer

Location: Denton, TX My goal in life is to be as good of a person that my dog already thinks I am.
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I'am also interested in hearing input on this. I replaced my original opti ('95) at 115,000 only because I had to replace the water pump and figured I was half way into the job. I kept the old opti in case of a rebuild. My question is will a new rotor and cap be all that it needs, or should I toss it because are there other parts that are equally worn?
Old 08-04-2015, 11:00 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I believe it's doable, and I have a old failed unit I'm going to try on ...someday.

I dont' believe the optical sensor ever goes bad or fails....I believe it gets contaminated with crud, and that interferes w/the transmission and receiving of light. I believe the lenses can be cleaned and the sensor will continue working.

The only other remaining issue is the bearing, which I'm confident a replacement can be sourced.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:01 PM
01 Coupe
Racer

Location: Denton, TX My goal in life is to be as good of a person that my dog already thinks I am.
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

The only other remaining issue is the bearing, which I'm confident a replacement can be sourced.[/QUOTE]

I agree with the bearing being an issue. Maybe someone can chime in with some knowledge about this.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:06 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Yes, bearings can go bad

Mine was fine when I replace the cap & rotor.
Like any distributor the cap & rotor wears out.
I had quite a bit of crud on the optics

You should be able to run it with a drill and hook it up a scope
Old 08-07-2015, 05:44 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

The optical sensors can be tested with a scope. I did it at work about 8 or 10 years ago. You have to supply 5 volts and have a pull down (or up, can't remember) resistor as a load. I did it for the low and high resolution signals.

I remember I had to change the circuitry around from the way I thought it should be wired for it to function. It did not make sense but I just wanted to see the pulses. Used a drill to turn it steady so I could sync the scope up. It was just a fun thing and challenge to do.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:12 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Wonder if they could be converted to hall sensors.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:15 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Not if one expected to maintain the 360* resolution and keep it packaged in the same space.

I've worked on these before in other cars, where they are extremely reliable. 1 car was a Dodge Stealth RT/TT (remember those?). Got water on/in it from washing the motor and it wouldn't start. I took it apart, drew a kleenex through the sensor groove to clean/dry it, and that fixed it. Another was a Nissan XTerra, same deal, except the sensor had just gotten dirty and it ran like crap. I cleaned the sensor in that too, using brake cleaner, then Kleenex and Windex. Worked great after that.

I submit that many (most) Opti's get changed that need little more than a cleaning and a new bearing, cap and rotor.

Get notified of new replies

To Over hauling Opti?

Quick Reply: Over hauling Opti?