C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

90 Vert X-Brace rattle

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 05:05 PM
Dakotaz
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 90 Vert X-Brace rattle

Took off the brace to drop the tranny pan and now have a rattle on right hand turns. Last time I had the rattle I just pried the x down but now I'm looking for a better fix. I put some carpentry door and window shims between the x and the body and it quit rattling. The shims were to verify problem. Now looking to see if there is a real fix.
Thanks in advance.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:33 PM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Dakotaz
Took off the brace to drop the tranny pan and now have a rattle on right hand turns. Last time I had the rattle I just pried the x down but now I'm looking for a better fix. I put some carpentry door and window shims between the x and the body and it quit rattling. The shims were to verify problem. Now looking to see if there is a real fix.
Thanks in advance.
My X-bracewas making occasional contact with the exhaust. I just added 1/8" thick metal shims at the front bolting points. Problem solved.
The following users liked this post:
Dakotaz (09-12-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 10:42 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

While I dont have the vert, I will agree with 92, its probly the exhaust. Almost every time I have worked on anything and had clunks and pings afterwards it was the exhaust. I even had the exhaust beat a hole in an oil filter. That was a mess.

Check for shiny areas on the brace and also the exhaust system. You should be able to slightly bend the exhaust fairly easily with a jack or use a hammer to put a small divot at the problem area.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:39 AM
Dakotaz
Instructor

Thanks HE I think I'm going to try the shims 92 said he did. I hate chasing rattles.

Originally Posted by HlhnEast
While I dont have the vert, I will agree with 92, its probly the exhaust. Almost every time I have worked on anything and had clunks and pings afterwards it was the exhaust. I even had the exhaust beat a hole in an oil filter. That was a mess.

Check for shiny areas on the brace and also the exhaust system. You should be able to slightly bend the exhaust fairly easily with a jack or use a hammer to put a small divot at the problem area.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:52 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Stripped out holes in the bottom of the frame can also this.

Note this was due to the many removals and reinstalls ive had to do and not being careful to have everything lined up before cranking down on the bolts....so its my own fault

anyways, when id go down a steep curvy driveway is when id hear a 'pop' up front from the x brace.

PITA to fix. Try a thread straightener first or retap to the next up size (and drill bigger holes in the x brace for the new bigger bolt).

I believe they are currently m10 by 1.5 (dont quote me). I went to m12 by 1.75??? (I cant remember the pitch but do remember going to m12s)

Good luck
Old 09-13-2015, 07:15 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

Mine was rattling also. I took it off, put a brick under each end and jumped up and down on the middle for a minute. Plenty of clearance now.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:11 PM
Dakotaz
Instructor

Keep the suggestions coming. Have to travel this week so on hold until next weekend. Thanks all.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:32 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

On my 95 vert I pulled the X brace to change trans fluid and put it back and it made rumbling noise. We opened the bolts on the brace and shifted it slightly and re tightened. Noise was on the front brace passenger side. What a pita
Old 09-18-2015, 08:41 PM
Dakotaz
Instructor

Ok put in 1/8 inch shims to the front and the two points that attach to the body. I also added an exhaust hanger that was missing. Probably going to regret saying this but with a short drive the car seemed more quiet and no bad rattles like before. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:01 PM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Dakotaz
Ok put in 1/8 inch shims to the front and the two points that attach to the body. I also added an exhaust hanger that was missing. Probably going to regret saying this but with a short drive the car seemed more quiet and no bad rattles like before. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Glad it worked out.

Get notified of new replies

To 90 Vert X-Brace rattle

Quick Reply: 90 Vert X-Brace rattle