C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Strange vibration on my 90

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 09:07 AM
conv90
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Strange vibration on my 90

After a 2 full months non using the car and after some problem to start it (there is a thread on it), I experienced some vibrations.
I explain: Usually when I use my car after a period of rest I feel some vibration due to tires that needs to return " round". Few miles and It's OK.

Sathurday i experienced the same but a strange vibration was still present.

Operations with the torque converter "UNLOCK" are similar to usual but it seems I can feel some light vibration. (very light ...maybe my brain is prone to feel it only) .
When at part throttle and I feel the torque converter LOCK, I feel a strange vibration affecting even the dash panel. It's not uncorfortable but definitively a new vibration, something I'm not accustomed to.

Always with TC locked if i apply some more throttle I have this vibration more evident/undeniable. then it decrease a bit (never chease) when the speed stabilize to the level of my throtte opening.

If I'm at 80 mph at light Throttle at steady speed the vibration is not so severe but present. If I remove the right foot from accelerator the vibration stops. It appears again when i apply again throttle.

I mention to the TC (but probably it has nothing to do).

Someone had the same problem?
-Thanks-
Beppe
Old 10-07-2015, 09:26 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

I would pick it up and check all the ujoints
Old 10-07-2015, 09:38 AM
conv90
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Don't get me wrong antfarmer2 /thanks!) , but i think it has nothing to do with ujoints.
It feel to me like something "unbalanced" and it seems that more load is applied at low rpm s (converter locked) more the vibration . Like if I have lost something.... but something related to engine revolutions.
I plan to check for torque convertr bolts , but I'm open to hear others area to check.
Thanks
Old 10-07-2015, 09:43 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

not much on trans but might want to look at the harmonic balancer they can seperate when the rubber gets old
Old 10-07-2015, 09:52 AM
conv90
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
not much on trans but might want to look at the harmonic balancer they can seperate when the rubber gets old
yes! and it's simple to do a fast check on it.
thanks!

My catastrophic mind is always thinking to serious damages (like missing piston skirts.. loose connectiong rods... spun bearings...)

Last edited by conv90; 10-07-2015 at 09:55 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Strange vibration on my 90

Quick Reply: Strange vibration on my 90