C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

half shaft universal joint replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 01:19 PM
flyboyslc1
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Default half shaft universal joint replacement

For a long time I had a pulsating growl from the rear of my 1991 Corvette coupe. I thought it was wheel bearings. I would jack up the car and do the wiggle test for the wheel bearings, and not find anything wrong. Eventually I heard a clicking noise when starting forward or reverse. Jacking up the car I now could see that the universal joint on passenger side was toast. So I read up on how to remove the half shaft and did the universal joint replacement away from my shop in another apartment garage where I work. Not to difficult really.

Here is a video of how I did the universal joint replacements. Hope it helps someone.

The following 2 users liked this post by flyboyslc1:
LT1*C4 (10-10-2015), mike c4 (10-09-2015)
Old 10-09-2015, 07:16 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I can comment on a lot about this video.

But the ONE major problem is the choice of u-joint design.
Due to the aluminum suspension components. The U-joint needs be the special u-joints with the coating on them so your aluminum half shaft (and drive shaft) do not run into galvanic action.

This is NOT my opinion ...but is literally written in the GM parts manual. (SPICER U-joint 5-447x is clearly written.

And the only reason I am commenting on this is because I have had to replace many half shafts because someone installed the wrong design U-joint WITHOUT the special coating.

DUB
Old 10-10-2015, 05:16 PM
DUB
Race Director

Out of the GM Corvette parts illustration catalog.

The SPICER U-joint and how it looks.

You can EASILY tell that this U-joint is a coated U-joint. The caps are NOT shiny steel.

AS always..do as you wish when it comes to repairing your Corvette. BUT...these u-joints ARE what are needed to not damage the half shafts. The SAME holds true for eh drive shaft. They also MUST be a coated u-joint.

DUB
Old 10-11-2015, 10:00 AM
tim87
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Very nice qulaity video. Thanks for sharing.

Very nice qulaity video. Thanks for sharing
Old 10-11-2015, 03:03 PM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 150 Posts

Here's a tip for you, take a dab of grease & put it into each bearing cap. This keeps the needles in line.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:13 PM
flyboyslc1
Melting Slicks

Default Thanks DUB

You can EASILY tell that this U-joint is a coated U-joint. The caps are NOT shiny steel.

DUB

Thanks DUB,

I am happy to acknowledge you as the expert on this one. My review of the FSM called out the aluminum shaft, but did not mention the coating of a u joint. My first choice for a u joint was a spicer, and they were out of stock. Second choice is what I also consider a good brand being MOOG. I asked for u joints for a 1991 Corvette and that is what they provided.

For you it may be easy to tell the difference, if you are holding them in hand. For me, not so much. Is the coating a petroleum based thing, a paint, or a plating? I can't tell by the picture?

I think I will run with what I have. One of the old ones was for sure an aftermarket u joint with a grease fitting on it. Unlikely that it had any kind of a coating on it, unless some company decided to make aftermarket u joints with grease fittings with coatings. All the yokes on my half shafts looked fine, with no corrosion. I suspect if the car had been driven wintertime with salty roads they would look differently.

Posting up the part numbers is a great help to anyone else reading this thread. Thanks!

steve
Old 10-12-2015, 05:17 PM
flyboyslc1
Melting Slicks

Default Thanks Tim

Originally Posted by tim87
Very nice qulaity video. Thanks for sharing

Thanks Tim,

Nice comment. My only goal is to help the Corvette community. I looked for a video using Google and didn't find one, so did the best that I could to create one. When the u joint failed, I was 150 miles from home and tried to decide if I should try to limp it home and do the work. Instead I drove the pickup home and brought back everything I could think of to do the job. Obviously didn't remember everything, but what I brought back allowed me to get the repair made.

steve
Old 10-12-2015, 05:57 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

You did a great job and considering you did it where it broke down even better.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:09 PM
DUB
Race Director

If difference between a coated U-joint and one that is not coated is so evident....there is no mistaking which one is which one. The photo of the U-joint I posted is how it looks. The caps are NOT shiny steel. There is no shine on these caps...unlike the ones you installed.

I was told back in the day they were Teflon coated. It is not a paint applied to them.

If I need to I will post a photo of the correct U-joint with one that is like what you installed....it is day and night difference.....so others can see the difference.

DUB
Old 10-13-2015, 08:56 AM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Great video, i'm sure it will help someone in the future

This would have been great reference a few years ago when I did u-joints. It was my first time doing this type of work, but was rewarding when complete. I had also removed the batwing for a gear change and did all the bushings in the rear too
Old 10-14-2015, 06:24 PM
DUB
Race Director

U-joint on LEFT is NOT COATED....the U-joint on the right is COATED.<br/><br/>You can CLEARLY see the difference in the way the caps look

The angle and light makes the top and bottom cap on the LEFT U-joint look darker...but...trust me...they are all shiny steel.

DUB
Old 10-14-2015, 08:17 PM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Very helpful video - thanks much for making it!
Old 02-23-2021, 08:50 AM
gjhinc
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 88 Posts

Well... lifting the arms did the trick. Video below. Done panic. I don't have the full weight of the car on the spindle support arm.

Video

Last edited by gjhinc; 02-23-2021 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:32 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

You do good work. thanks for sharing vid.
doh. just saw date.

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 02-23-2021 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:44 AM
flyboyslc1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gjhinc
Well... lifting the arms did the trick. Video below. Done panic. I don't have the full weight of the car on the spindle support arm.

Video
Looks like you are working on a c3 generation there. I had a 65 convertible, and I recognize those beautiful chrome rear bumpers. Glad you found the video helpful anyway. steve

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
You do good work. thanks for sharing vid.
doh. just saw date.
Well Vik, I am glad you replied back anyway. Brought back great memories of the old C4. Great cars that just dont get the respect they deserve. I did tonns of work on that car, lost all kinds of money doing it, but would do it all again under the same circumstances. steve
Old 02-23-2021, 02:49 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...the U-joint on the right is COATED.
And the coated unit looks to be a lot more "stout" as well.
The following users liked this post:
vette196 (02-23-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To half shaft universal joint replacement

Quick Reply: half shaft universal joint replacement