C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

my 1992 LT1 keeps dying after 15 to 20 minutes of running

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 08:02 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 568 Likes on 443 Posts

My optispark suggestion seemed to get a quick glance over but i think it should be taken mor seriously.

The optispark is an electrical component. Its mounted in an area of heat. I had an issue where i installed a defective brand new ac delco 'rest assured' remanufactured optispark. It would start and run for 2 to 3 minutes And die. It would not restart until it had set for 6 to 8 hours to cool down.

User tom400ci ? Also had a similAr experince and even rcently (past week) posted a video of an optispark test working when cold. Then he put it into an oven and tested it and it did not work

The injector problems that everyone is talking about do NOT plague the 92 and up lt1 cars like they do the l98 and earlier c4s. Those early cars used an earlier more failure prone design

Last edited by dizwiz24; 11-21-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:14 PM
Bentleyben
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
My optispark suggestion seemed to get a quick glance over but i think it should be taken mor seriously.

The optispark is an electrical component. Its mounted in an area of heat. I had an issue where i installed a defective brand new ac delco 'rest assured' remanufactured optispark. It would start and run for 2 to 3 minutes And die. It would not restart until it had set for 6 to 8 hours to cool down.

User tom400ci ? Also had a similAr experince and even rcently (past week) posted a video of an optispark test working when cold. Then he put it into an oven and tested it and it did not work

The injector problems that everyone is talking about do NOT plague the 92 and up lt1 cars like they do the l98 and earlier c4s. Those early cars used an earlier more failure prone design
,,,,, Maybe it does not plague them (as much),,,, but it does plague them still to an extent. I can run this car, and drive it like a grandmother,, all day with no break downs,,,, no stalling,,,, car (could not run better),,,, but as soon as I run it hard,,, put's high demand in the injectors,,, (amount of pulsations per minute),,,, the injectors overheat and short out,,, that tells the ECU to shut off gas, at the fuel pump. (I have this handled),,,, Injectors OHM'd out at super low reading when hot, and well into the normal range, when cold after the stall. ,,, I will have 8 new injectors, in hand on Tuesday. ,,,, Thanks for the help,,, Happy motoring ! ,,,,, P.S. ,,,, I can tell there are a lot of DIY car guys here, that do things differently than myself,,, (example),,,, I see people on here that would replace (only) the 2 bad injectors. I will always replace all 8,,, which means replacing 6 that still work. Wear and tear is predictable, to a point. ,,,,, If you have 2 bad injectors,,,, SOON,, more will fail. That's just me,, I have $10,000 worth of receipts for past issues with this high mileage car,,, but no mention of injectors / fuel pump relays / coil / ICM

Last edited by Bentleyben; 11-21-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:37 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

I would replace all with bosch 3 from fic best bang for your buck and great service.
The following users liked this post:
Bentleyben (11-21-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 10:01 PM
MarkD13
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Hmmm ...

Originally Posted by Bentleyben
,,,,, Maybe it does not plague them (as much),,,, but it does plague them still to an extent. I can run this car, and drive it like a grandmother,, all day with no break downs,,,, no stalling,,,, car (could not run better),,,, but as soon as I run it hard,,, put's high demand in the injectors,,, (amount of pulsations per minute),,,, the injectors overheat and short out,,, that tells the ECU to shut off gas, at the fuel pump. (I have this handled),,,, Injectors OHM'd out at super low reading when hot, and well into the normal range, when cold after the stall. ,,, I will have 8 new injectors, in hand on Tuesday. ,,,, Thanks for the help,,, Happy motoring ! ,,,,, P.S. ,,,, I can tell there are a lot of DIY car guys here, that do things differently than myself,,, (example),,,, I see people on here that would replace (only) the 2 bad injectors. I will always replace all 8,,, which means replacing 6 that still work. Wear and tear is predictable, to a point. ,,,,, If you have 2 bad injectors,,,, SOON,, more will fail. That's just me,, I have $10,000 worth of receipts for past issues with this high mileage car,,, but no mention of injectors / fuel pump relays / coil / ICM
And your diagonostics? What codes? Your fuel pressure gauge? What does it read? Does it drop when this occurs? Do you test for spark? Do you have a TS-125? Throwing parts at this ... if that's what your doing ... alas ...

Time for you to leave ...
Old 11-24-2015, 11:14 PM
softwarejanitor
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I might replace only the 2 bad injectors if I had a few extra sitting around. If not I would replace them as a set of 8. I wouldn't throw out the 6 good ones when I put a whole new set in though... Next time I'd be inclined to replace the bad ones from my spares until I ran out of spares then I'd buy a whole new set... But that's just me and I can be incredibly cheap sometimes.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:53 PM
Bentleyben
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Spark after warm up

have been chasing this problem for around one week now. so far in parts I have brand new coil and ignition module,,, completely refurbished ECM,,, new fuel pump and fuel filter,,, and I have read the specification on a OHM meters for all 8 injectors..... all reading good at 12.9 to 13.4..... the distributor area looks so fresh, and the car runs so perfectly, when it runs that I don't think it is distributor cap rotor related.... my next move is to run the car again until it dies, then quickly ohm out all the injectors again when hot, and also spray into the intake a little gas to see if it starts up to prove if its losing gas or losing spark,,,, anybody familiar with this?. I had read in one of these forums that a bad injector can heat up under running conditions and short out after it heats up and it said the ECM will tell the fuel pump to shut down in this case,,, has anybody ever heard of that,,?,,, it seems if and when I Drive the car like a grandmother, I can drive all day,, but as soon as I put a high demand, winding up run it hard, it will die shortly after that,, kind of like a clogged fuel filter but this one has been changed. thank you
,,,,, Okay,,, I found this forum a little frustrating,, because people only read the last post and ask / answer to that,, when what they ask is already discussed,,, So I had to walk away,,, shake them off,,, I did some further diagnostics and found,, (THE CAR LOOSES SPARK), not fuel pressure, after warm up. ICM is done correctly,, ECM is fine, tested etc.,, New coil,,, Oil pressure sending unit works correctly,,,, one code, 43 knock sensor,, (not the problem),,,, looks like opti. ,,,, I think there is a ICM in the opti as well, that can go bad and do this symptom.

Quick Reply: my 1992 LT1 keeps dying after 15 to 20 minutes of running