C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

EFI intake choices-383 L31

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 10:40 PM
IacobucciB
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EFI intake choices-383 L31

Finally scored a 4 bolt L31 block on the cheap, being clearanced and bored for a forged 383 kit Next week. It will be topped with AFR 195 eliminators, 10.5:1 compression, custom LT headers, etc. looking for around 450hp at the crank on 93 pump gas and make power to about 6000 rpm, before signing off at 6500. As the system right now is TPI, I'd like to keep it EFI for tunability, etc. there is some confusion between intakes for me. I hear mixed reviews between the weiand/Holley stealth ram, or an accel super ram. I also have yet to select a cam. I'm looking for something that can tolerate occasional nitrous usage, but be more street oriented. Any pointers are well appreciated.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:29 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

I have an EFI converted Holley 300-25 with everything except a plenum I will make a deal on. I have injectors too, new and used. pm me if interested.

Last edited by pologreen1; 11-27-2015 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:29 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,965 Posts

Originally Posted by IacobucciB
Finally scored a 4 bolt L31 block on the cheap, being clearanced and bored for a forged 383 kit Next week. It will be topped with AFR 195 eliminators, 10.5:1 compression, custom LT headers, etc. looking for around 450hp at the crank on 93 pump gas and make power to about 6000 rpm, before signing off at 6500. As the system right now is TPI, I'd like to keep it EFI for tunability, etc. there is some confusion between intakes for me. I hear mixed reviews between the weiand/Holley stealth ram, or an accel super ram. I also have yet to select a cam. I'm looking for something that can tolerate occasional nitrous usage, but be more street oriented. Any pointers are well appreciated.
I'm running a Holley Stealth Ram. I have run an Accel Super Ram. The Stealth Ram, unless you get a shaved down one, you have to cut a hole in the hood and put a hood scoop on it. The Super Ram is a PITA to install the way the instructions put it but if you know some tricks, it is easier. I have AFR 190 heads and making about 420 at the wheels with the HSR and a different cam than what you are thinking of since I don't spray.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:24 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

The HSR requires some modification to fit, either to the HSR itself or cutting a hole in the hood. The Super Ram is worse than a TPI to install and won't give as much hp as an HSR. And finally, and probably the best of choices, the Miniram. On the expensive side, but you don't have to modify anything and it's a breeze to install. And you will definitely hit 450 with a Miniram, no doubt.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:01 AM
IacobucciB
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
The HSR requires some modification to fit, either to the HSR itself or cutting a hole in the hood. The Super Ram is worse than a TPI to install and won't give as much hp as an HSR. And finally, and probably the best of choices, the Miniram. On the expensive side, but you don't have to modify anything and it's a breeze to install. And you will definitely hit 450 with a Miniram, no doubt.
I've heard good and bad things about TPiS products. I've never used any of their product's however, so I wouldn't know. I'm not opposed to chopping up the hood to fit, I have another hood off my buddy's '87 that got T-boned last spring. He has a C6 now. As for tuning, I'm leaning toward the HSR kit, as it includes all the fittings, wiring, etc to install to the stock hard fuel lines, ecm, etc. this will be the first time I've worked with EFI from a tuning perspective, so I'm clueless. I do like the idea of being able to mess with the system on the fly with a laptop.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:44 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by IacobucciB
I've heard good and bad things about TPiS products. I've never used any of their product's however, so I wouldn't know. I'm not opposed to chopping up the hood to fit, I have another hood off my buddy's '87 that got T-boned last spring. He has a C6 now. As for tuning, I'm leaning toward the HSR kit, as it includes all the fittings, wiring, etc to install to the stock hard fuel lines, ecm, etc. this will be the first time I've worked with EFI from a tuning perspective, so I'm clueless. I do like the idea of being able to mess with the system on the fly with a laptop.
Why do you want to mess with it on the fly? Send me it to be dyno tuned and forget it.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:04 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
Cut a hole or buy one cut. I don't know what the effect of getting a cut one is since nobody has actually proved it one way or the other.

As to the Superram, you hog out the holes on the intake manifold, helicore them, slot the screws so you can use a fine driver to turn them till they stop, do the last 1/4 turn with the wrench. That was the LPE trick they told me. Others have put helicores on the runners and screwed from the top with locktite on the bolts.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:40 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,044 Posts

I ran a SuperRam on my 406 for years and it was a great street/strip intake. I am now running a Miniram on the same motor. The miniram is a tenth or two faster in the quarter, but for a street car, you can't beat the SuperRam. It had a wide, flat torque curve. I would launch at 2000 rpms and the car would run 10.50s. Shift points were around 6300. With The Miniram, I have a different cam and converter. I leave at 3000 rpm, shift at 6700 rpms and now run 10.20s but other changes have been made to the car between intake changes. Can't go wrong with either.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:24 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Just thought of it. Holley Stealth Ram is not going to work. No EGR and in Kalifornia, that is a huge No No. IIRC, my Accel Superram did have an EGR and we just forgot to install it.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:17 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 399 Likes on 262 Posts

Good single plane intakes can make very good power when cammed correctly.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/3656529-383-afr-195-dyno-s.html

I like using the Edelbrock Victor EFI, as you can see even in a very mild engine the power and power curve can be great, but the HSR and Mini Rams can run equally well in certain circumstances.... Every thing is in the combination.
Will
Old 11-28-2015, 07:06 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
I ran a SuperRam on my 406 for years and it was a great street/strip intake. I am now running a Miniram on the same motor. The miniram is a tenth or two faster in the quarter, but for a street car, you can't beat the SuperRam. It had a wide, flat torque curve. I would launch at 2000 rpms and the car would run 10.50s. Shift points were around 6300. With The Miniram, I have a different cam and converter. I leave at 3000 rpm, shift at 6700 rpms and now run 10.20s but other changes have been made to the car between intake changes. Can't go wrong with either.
What heads do you have on your car?
Old 11-28-2015, 10:17 PM
IacobucciB
Intermediate

I live in MA, so cars older than 2000 have no need to pass emissions.

Get notified of new replies

To EFI intake choices-383 L31

Quick Reply: EFI intake choices-383 L31