C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1986 Trans Output Yoke Vibration Damper

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 10:30 PM
rrt898
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Default 1986 Trans Output Yoke Vibration Damper

I have a 86 automatic coupe. I am having vibration at 60mph and higher. The vibration almost felt like it was in transmission. I decided to replace the u-joints on the drive shaft. When I removed the drive shaft I noticed the front slip yoke has a vibration damper and it looks pretty bad. I took the drive shaft to have the u-joints installed and have the damper looked at. Well I found my vibration but; I need the vibration damper assembly.
Does anyone know the proper part description? I don't think I am calling it by its correct name. I am having trouble with the vocabulary. Its probably discontinued anyway!!!!

thanks
Old 12-16-2015, 10:59 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,234 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Originally Posted by rrt898
I have a 86 automatic coupe. I am having vibration at 60mph and higher. The vibration almost felt like it was in transmission. I decided to replace the u-joints on the drive shaft. When I removed the drive shaft I noticed the front slip yoke has a vibration damper and it looks pretty bad. I took the drive shaft to have the u-joints installed and have the damper looked at. Well I found my vibration but; I need the vibration damper assembly.
Does anyone know the proper part description? I don't think I am calling it by its correct name. I am having trouble with the vocabulary. Its probably discontinued anyway!!!!

thanks
http://www.ebay.com/itm/84-96-Corvet...pWaGN-&vxp=mtr

Do you mean that thing on the right side of the picture a little ways down from the yoke?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...yoke-ring.html
Old 12-16-2015, 11:03 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Why not take the driveshaft off, have them replace the yoke so you get rid of the damper and have them balance it?
Old 12-16-2015, 11:34 PM
rrt898
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aklim
http://www.ebay.com/itm/84-96-Corvet...pWaGN-&vxp=mtr

Do you mean that thing on the right side of the picture a little ways down from the yoke?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...yoke-ring.html

Yes, that ring is causing my vibration
Old 12-16-2015, 11:42 PM
rrt898
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aklim
Why not take the driveshaft off, have them replace the yoke so you get rid of the damper and have them balance it?
I thought it was on there to stop the clunking of the trans.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:42 AM
aklim
Team Owner

But if the shafts are balanced right, maybe it isn't necessary?
Old 12-17-2015, 01:17 AM
aklim
Team Owner

But if the shafts are balanced right, maybe it isn't necessary?
Old 12-17-2015, 01:26 AM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Do a search some knock the ring off and are fine.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:57 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

Since it's out presently I'd think you either remove the dampener or replace the slip-yoke with new(less dampener). Regardless you do the u-joints and balance the assembly. Wear of the current slip-yoke I believe would influence the choice.

If it's never been done I believe it would be appropriate to do the bushing and seal in the A4 extension.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:50 AM
rrt898
Burning Brakes

Does anyone know the part number for the correct part??
Old 12-17-2015, 07:33 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

Does anyone know the part number for the correct part??
There's no "service part" with the counter-bore and the dampener available.

This part has similar dimensions but doesn't have the counter-bore. I believe this or a competitors part of same dimensions is generally used.

Spicer 2-3-4911X

This or a competitor's part should be available "local". You need a balance so the drive-line shop that can do this would likely have this on the shelf or something similar enough that it could be cut to length.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 12-17-2015 at 07:37 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:59 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Like WVZR-1 says you can just use one w/o the damper. I did, but I had to cut the spline end down some, you may not depending on the yoke you get. You can cut it down with any saw, I used a die grinder. You have to chamfer and blend the cut end or it can damage your seal. Also deburr the splines I just used a wire wheel.

I didn't even have mine balanced because aluminum dampens decent. If it was a steel shaft or I planned to do sustained mph then I'd of gotten it balanced. Fun fact, when I asked about my CF shaft for my c3 they said they don't even bother with CF.

edit: Also I'd run it w/o and see if it's fine and if it's not to your liking then balance it. I ran a steel shaft that had a little vibe for a bit on one of my cars and later took it in to be balanced. Didn't put a ton of miles on it and I wasn't worried about replacing the u-joints that I just put on when I got the shaft form a junk yard

Last edited by BOOT77; 12-17-2015 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:18 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BOOT77
Like WVZR-1 says you can just use one w/o the damper. I did, but I had to cut the spline end down some, you may not depending on the yoke you get. You can cut it down with any saw, I used a die grinder. You have to chamfer and blend the cut end or it can damage your seal. Also deburr the splines I just used a wire wheel.

I didn't even have mine balanced because aluminum dampens decent. If it was a steel shaft or I planned to do sustained mph then I'd of gotten it balanced. Fun fact, when I asked about my CF shaft for my c3 they said they don't even bother with CF.

edit: Also I'd run it w/o and see if it's fine and if it's not to your liking then balance it. I ran a steel shaft that had a little vibe for a bit on one of my cars and later took it in to be balanced. Didn't put a ton of miles on it and I wasn't worried about replacing the u-joints that I just put on when I got the shaft form a junk yard
If I was in the middle of BFE and that was all I had, sure. I forgot how much but I didn't think it was that bad, price wise to have them cut the thing. Why bother and risk an issue because you want save a few dollars today and possibly pay more tomorrow?

I don't know if aluminum dampens decent or not. Regardless, that is like saying "just because you can makes it a good idea". Why risk a wobble when you can spend a few bucks to check it? Why be penny wise and pound foolish?

How do you see if it is fine or not? Who do you think you are? The princess who can feel the pea under several mattresses? By the time you feel it, it might really be very far out. You skip the balance on tires and see if it is OK too?
Old 12-17-2015, 10:38 PM
rrt898
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Since it's out presently I'd think you either remove the dampener or replace the slip-yoke with new(less dampener). Regardless you do the u-joints and balance the assembly. Wear of the current slip-yoke I believe would influence the choice.

If it's never been done I believe it would be appropriate to do the bushing and seal in the A4 extension.
My vocabulary isn't that good with car parts. Do you mean the seal in the transmission tail assembly?
Old 12-17-2015, 10:43 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Older cars are more prone to mild drivetrain vibe, some just at a certain mph. The c4 has a nice fixed driveline angle and I haven't measured it but even the C3 is constantly noted for being off. I have noticed the diff when switching from a oem steel to an oem alum shaft. Tires should always be balanced, but I fail to see how my opinion of a driveshaft implies my opinion of tires.

It cost nothing but time to take the car for a drive and see how it feels. The last shaft I had balanced local was $80 and if it's much cheaper then by all means have it done. But if $80 is nothing to you then maybe you can pick up the tab for all of us?

I'm flattered by all the attention, but this will be the last of me taking time to explain things to you. My comments are meant for the OP to take or leave.

Last edited by BOOT77; 12-17-2015 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:44 PM
aklim
Team Owner

My vocabulary isn't that good with car parts. Do you mean the seal in the transmission tail assembly?
I believe so. Maybe THIS?
Old 12-17-2015, 10:44 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Yes that is correct.

Get notified of new replies

To 1986 Trans Output Yoke Vibration Damper

Old 12-17-2015, 10:50 PM
rrt898
Burning Brakes

Thanks everyone for all the help
Old 12-17-2015, 11:36 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BOOT77
Tires should always be balanced, but I fail to see how my opinion of a driveshaft implies my opinion of tires.

It cost nothing but time to take the car for a drive and see how it feels.

The last shaft I had balanced local was $80 and if it's much cheaper then by all means have it done. But if $80 is nothing to you then maybe you can pick up the tab for all of us.

I'm flattered by all the attention, but this will be the last of me taking time to explain things to you.

My comments are meant for the OP to take or leave.
If you are that sensitive to imbalance, I bow to your sensitivity. Perhaps you can balance my tires by feel too.

Absolutely. It costs nothing for a reason. A little bit out of balance you will not be able to feel. I don't believe in going by feel. There is so much you can feel and way more the machine can detect. When your sensitivity as as good as a machine, call me.

It costs me very little to test the balance. Only if they have to fix it would the $80-100 tab come into place.

For a balanced driveshaft, $80 is NOT a high price to pay. But maybe you are right. Can we send you driveshafts to balance by feel? Obviously the cost has to be way less and the quality has to be as good as the machine balance.

Don't be flattered. I make comments on comments I disagree with whether they are your's or anyone else's. So far, your "explanations" have been little more than supposition, wild guesses, etc, without any real verification so I doubt I will miss it.

As are my comments on your comments. What of it?

Last edited by aklim; 12-17-2015 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:22 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

had the exact same (symptoms and problem) with an 89

let the driveshaft co deal with it they found a dampner balanced it etc etc never had a problem again even with drag racing the car etc etc.

Bonding was coming off glad it was caught in time.

no it didnt stop the clunk either

Last edited by cv67; 12-18-2015 at 12:28 AM.

Quick Reply: 1986 Trans Output Yoke Vibration Damper