C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

L31-R swap damper questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 06:05 PM
Y_B_A_FOOL
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L31-R swap damper questions

I'm about to swap the cam out in my L31 crate motor and I have concerns with timing marks and the damper size. The crate motor has a 8" damper (too big), I want to run a 6 3/4" damper with an external timing tab to make things easier. From what I've found, the stock damper is shorter to make room for the timing ring behind the timing cover. I didn't really want to delete it but I will if need be. Does anyone know if running a normal damper, with the timing ring removed, will clear the Vortec timing cover? Thanks for any input!
Old 03-20-2016, 06:36 PM
RWDsmoke
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Yes it will work. And you are right, you have to remove the ring or machine the hub for the pulley to line up correctly.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:04 PM
sansonic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an l31 crate motor also I just used a normal harmonic balancer for an l98 and swapped to a regular 350 Chevy timing chain cover. I just took the little timing thing out and had no issues.

Last edited by sansonic; 03-20-2016 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:17 PM
BV85
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

sansonic How does that L-31 pull? Are you using same cam or did you switch to a different one. What about the heads are you using 113's? I'm thinking off using the same motor. TIA
Old 03-20-2016, 08:26 PM
Y_B_A_FOOL
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RWDsmoke
Yes it will work. And you are right, you have to remove the ring or machine the hub for the pulley to line up correctly.
Question about machining the hub, will there be an issue if I get too much machined off the new hub? Does the hub hold the ring in place? I'd like to save it if I can so I can run a better ignition system in the future.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:17 PM
mt01
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be aware a Corvette water pump will not clear the Vortec timing cover, you'll need spacers to make it fit and shims for everything else to get the pulleys to line up.

Last edited by mt01; 03-22-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:15 AM
sansonic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BV85
sansonic How does that L-31 pull? Are you using same cam or did you switch to a different one. What about the heads are you using 113's? I'm thinking off using the same motor. TIA
When I decided on the l31 vortec I just wanted my car back on the road for a decent price. I was happy with the output of a l98 with long tube headers not cats etc. I can defiantly feel a difference with the new engine the vortec heads flow a lot better. Even with the stock cam it came with and the the high flow tpi intake it's fun to drive.

I had looked at doing the zz4 crate motor but the price is just crazy! The 87 l98 I had in the car before would smoke on start up and couldn't spin the new 17 inch rear tires I put on but the vortec can pretty easily. Plus now I do have the option if I want to go back later and beef this motor up I could do the cam and some other stuff for more power. If your just looking for an engine that will run forever and be reliable then you would like the motor.

Get notified of new replies

To L31-R swap damper questions

Quick Reply: L31-R swap damper questions