C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Want to know

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 08:47 AM
killlerkc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Want to know

Have an 89 automatic coupe.
How many bulbs are there behind the instrument
Panel light. They all are the same size ; being
194 style. Thank You Kc
Old 06-30-2016, 09:52 AM
whitemj1948
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 20 Posts

There are 4 bulbs that light up the LCD display and 3 for the bright light indicator and the turn signals. You can get a kit on ebay for cheep that has everything you need to do the job. U tube has video's that will walk you thru the process.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:18 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

If you need just bulbs and not the sockets, you can replace the bulbs from the front without removing the cluster..After removing the metal plugs over the bulbs, wrap some electrical tape around the 2 tips on a set of small needle nose pliers , then you can reach in with the pliers and pull the bulbs straight out. The electrical tape makes the pliers grip the bulb and stops the metal prongs from breaking the bulbs.. Also touching the bulbs with your fingers will cause them to blow out in short order , the grease from you fingers causes this to happen......WW

Last edited by WW7; 06-30-2016 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:36 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
If you need just bulbs and not the sockets, you can replace the bulbs from the front without removing the cluster..After removing the metal plugs over the bulbs, wrap some electrical tape around the 2 tips on a set of small needle nose pliers , then you can reach in with the pliers and pull the bulbs straight out. The electrical tape makes the pliers grip the bulb and stops the metal prongs from breaking the bulbs.. Also touching the bulbs with your fingers will cause them to blow out in short order , the grease from you fingers causes this to happen......WW
That's what I used to do to change bulbs from the front except I used Hemostats till I found something better. Check Ebay for a set of pliers for changing bulbs in pinball machines. They're curved jawed and covered to grip the bulbs well. They fit right through the hole in the front of the instrument cluster perfectly and grip the bulb so well. IIRC the set I got was under $10 and included free shipping and well worth the price IMO.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:54 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by hcbph
That's what I used to do to change bulbs from the front except I used Hemostats till I found something better. Check Ebay for a set of pliers for changing bulbs in pinball machines. They're curved jawed and covered to grip the bulbs well. They fit right through the hole in the front of the instrument cluster perfectly and grip the bulb so well. IIRC the set I got was under $10 and included free shipping and well worth the price IMO.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:54 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

That's what I was talking about. They work well for gripping the bulbs through the opening in the front.

On the bulbs themselves, there are 2 types. One has the bent contacts that wrap around the end of the bulbs while the other is bi-pin. The bi-pin ones have straight contacts that come out of the bulbs. They can be a bit trickier to pull and insert new ones without bending the pins but it can be done.

Get notified of new replies

To Want to know

Quick Reply: Want to know