C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How to totally disable factory alarm on 96?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 11:09 AM
fullboogie
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to totally disable factory alarm on 96?

I've had a killer aftermarket alarm installed, but the factory alarm is somehow still alive. I found this out when I manually locked the doors and closed my door. When I returned to the car, I disarmed the aftermarket alarm and opened my door. I was greeted with the factory horn blaring at me.

After going through the service manual, I've only been able to identify two relays associated with the Universal Theft Deterrent module, and a fuse in the panel. The relays are all buried in the dash, and the fuse doesn't seem to affect it. Any ideas on how I can permanently get rid of this darn thing???
Old 09-10-2002, 05:11 PM
JasonL
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How to totally disable factory alarm on 96? (fullboogie)

I've never actually installed an alarm on my '96 so may not know everything and will defer to an expert, but I have studied the service manual it a lot of detail in preparation for one. The theft deterrent functionality is buried inside the CCM. The PKE module is integrated with the door locks so you don't want to disable that either. I see two solutions here:

1. Add relay(s) so that a signal is sent to disarm UTD ("security disarm input" on the CCM) when you hit unlock or hatch pop on your alarm remote. Your alarm probably has an extra accessory output that sends a pulse when you unlock the doors; you probably just need a relay for the hatch.

2. Cut the wire that arms UTD (going from PKE module to CCM). Not very elegant, and I don't know if the PKE module will complain :) There is a UTD status input on the PKE module that I'm not sure what the purpose is.

HTH.
Old 09-10-2002, 06:19 PM
fullboogie
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How to totally disable factory alarm on 96? (JasonL)

Jason-

I appreciate the input. I think you may misunderstand my problem. I'm not using the stupid PKE, and have disabled that already. The problem is this: if I manually lock the doors and return to the car, disarm the aftermarket alarm (which pops the locks open), the horn starts making racket when I open the door with my hand. This ONLY happens when I manually lock the doors by pushing the button on the arm rest, get out of the car, close the door, and later come back to the car and disarm the aftermarket alarm and open the door. Otherwise, I can arm/disarm the aftermarket alarm and everything's OK when I open a door. It's all triggered by me manually locking the door with the power door lock switch on the arm rest. Does this change my approach any?
Old 09-10-2002, 06:42 PM
JasonL
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How to totally disable factory alarm on 96? (fullboogie)

I think I understand your problem correctly. Sorry for not being clear, but I mentioned the PKE/CCM because I wanted to point out that the factory alarm and PKE are so integrated with the car's other functions (e.g. even with PKE turned off, the PKE module performs the power door lock functions), that you probably don't want to pull any fuses or cut power lines. If GM had placed the factory alarm functionality into a separate unit, then it might have been possible. But they didn't, so...

I don't know if you have your alarm documentation or whether it shows the harness leads, but if it has the extra output for the disarm command, it should be fairly simple to solve. The CCM input for disarming the UTD doesn't distinguish between a key in the driver's door, a key in the pass. door, or unlock using PKE. So I think adding your alarm output to this wire should do the trick.

Get notified of new replies

To How to totally disable factory alarm on 96?

Quick Reply: How to totally disable factory alarm on 96?