C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1990 tach needle not working.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 11:56 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default 1990 tach needle not working.

Before I pull the cluster and send it off for a rebuild I want to make sure there isn't any related parts to check.

When I crank the car the tach goes all the way to the right and then drops all the way back down completely passing the 0 point. The needle never moves again while running.

Definitely a cluster issue?

If so who is the preferred person or company to send the cluster to and will they upgrade lighting to LED or is the lighting something I can do with bulb changes?

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2016, 12:12 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

Originally Posted by scgamecock
Before I pull the cluster and send it off for a rebuild I want to make sure there isn't any related parts to check.

When I crank the car the tach goes all the way to the right and then drops all the way back down completely passing the 0 point. The needle never moves again while running.

Definitely a cluster issue?

If so who is the preferred person or company to send the cluster to and will they upgrade lighting to LED or is the lighting something I can do with bulb changes?

Thanks!
Anytime the needle doesn't park at 0 with KEY-ON but NOT RUNNING there's a cluster issue. There's several threads covering DIY repairs or you may choose to do a "for hire" fix.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:28 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks. I figured that the cluster was culprit but hated to tear into it without seeing if there were other issues.

Is Batee.com the preferred parts source or someone else? It looks like the hardest part to repairing is soldering.

Get notified of new replies

To 1990 tach needle not working.

Quick Reply: 1990 tach needle not working.