C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

88 c4 egr recur tube over pass valve cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 11:33 PM
foreveraudio
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 c4 egr recur tube over pass valve cover

so I have a 88 l98 with afr heads - no air pump - cam - no ac compressor, and heres my question

I wanted to get rid of the egr recur tube that has to be removed everytime you wanna take off the pass side valve cover -

iv heard mixed things - when I took this tube off last the sensor was screwed into it, but the tube looked like it had weld marks on it and didn't seem to serve a purpose like it was just there to hold the sensor - I took a chance and removed it and sealed off both ends where the tube went on the intake manifold and the exaust manifold ( yes no headers yet ) this was also a reason I want to get headers without the check valves

I left the sensor still wired in just zip tied it in the back near firewall

I have no check engine light on and its been a week -

is there anything or any symptoms I would notice by not having this tube installed

iv noticed a few weird things not sure if related , like first start and drive I may get some hesitation and a backfire slightly then runs fine rest of day

other then that would the loss of this tube result in any weird things I need to be looking for

thanks

also does anyone have a place I can seek in getting the plug wire brackets for the heads so I can run my plug wires nice and neat -

thanks all
Old 08-30-2016, 09:29 PM
foreveraudio
Instructor

Default Anyone ???

Anyone ??
Originally Posted by foreveraudio
so i have a 88 l98 with afr heads - no air pump - cam - no ac compressor, and heres my question

i wanted to get rid of the egr recur tube that has to be removed everytime you wanna take off the pass side valve cover -

iv heard mixed things - when i took this tube off last the sensor was screwed into it, but the tube looked like it had weld marks on it and didn't seem to serve a purpose like it was just there to hold the sensor - i took a chance and removed it and sealed off both ends where the tube went on the intake manifold and the exaust manifold ( yes no headers yet ) this was also a reason i want to get headers without the check valves

i left the sensor still wired in just zip tied it in the back near firewall

i have no check engine light on and its been a week -

is there anything or any symptoms i would notice by not having this tube installed

iv noticed a few weird things not sure if related , like first start and drive i may get some hesitation and a backfire slightly then runs fine rest of day

other then that would the loss of this tube result in any weird things i need to be looking for

thanks

also does anyone have a place i can seek in getting the plug wire brackets for the heads so i can run my plug wires nice and neat -

thanks all
Old 08-31-2016, 12:56 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

The sensor on the pipe is a temperature switch. It closes when hot exhaust gases flow through the pipe. The ECM turns on the EGR valve by turning on the EGR solenoid. It then looks at the temperature switch to see if it closes. If it doesn't close the ECM sets error code 32. This test is done while cruising so you only see it if you drive for 5 minutes or more.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:54 PM
foreveraudio
Instructor

Default ok

ok but I have no check engine light on and iv driven it so I assume that's good, but will it cause any noticeable issues backfires or any running problems if its not throwing a code

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
The sensor on the pipe is a temperature switch. It closes when hot exhaust gases flow through the pipe. The ECM turns on the EGR valve by turning on the EGR solenoid. It then looks at the temperature switch to see if it closes. If it doesn't close the ECM sets error code 32. This test is done while cruising so you only see it if you drive for 5 minutes or more.

Get notified of new replies

To 88 c4 egr recur tube over pass valve cover

Quick Reply: 88 c4 egr recur tube over pass valve cover