C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Wants to die, Newly rebuilt Engine 87

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 10:08 PM
Pizzaboy
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wants to die, Newly rebuilt Engine 87

Okay guys, I hate to ask for help, but I'm at wits end. Here's my story in a nutshell: Got Corvette, took to Road America, spun 2,3, and 4 Mains, Rebuilt Engine, Used stock heads (but ported) bought Comp cams (computer Friendly Cam kit) nothing too wild. Flat tops, and Roller tip rockers. Ported stock exhaust headers (welded up outsides) put the car together. Engine Runs pretty good, pulls real well....but always wants to die on me when I come up to stop signs. Some times I'm able to save it by feathering gas pedal. If I can save it, it'll then Idle well. I only have about 100 miles of driving it around. I should mention I did have the Engine broken in with Carb on a Engine Dyno...I did make 359 horse! I also might ad that there are NO idiot lights, Engine has good oil pressure. What am I missing? I did buy 24lb per hour Bosch 4 injectors Refurbished. Car runs awesome down the road and has nice performance, better than stock. Any thoughts?
Old 09-27-2016, 10:51 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

I re-adjusted the base idle and TPS voltage on mine when it acted like that. Ended up putting an IAC on it too, and it's fine now.

I wondered about vacuum leaks, fuel pressure and just generally chased all around it with no luck. But that fixed it.

Like yours, it was in a million pieces (and it never ran right when I bought it to begin with.) so, I didn't really have a starting point. Tried everything else first.
The following users liked this post:
Pizzaboy (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 11:00 PM
Pizzaboy
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by confab
I re-adjusted the base idle and TPS voltage on mine when it acted like that. Ended up putting an IAC on it too, and it's fine now.

I wondered about vacuum leaks, fuel pressure and just generally chased all around it with no luck. But that fixed it.

Like yours, it was in a million pieces (and it never ran right when I bought it to begin with.) so, I didn't really have a starting point. Tried everything else first.
Yes, I wondered about fuel pressure and Vacuum Leaks, but it runs so darn good when it runs...I didn't know you could adjust TPS voltage. I'll look into this. I did unplug the MAS, as a mechanic friend advised, but it really made it run bad...so pluged back in. He did mention it could be a IAC. I think I read your troubles somewhere in here. Fuel Injection is kinda new to me, but I love this car and I think it's one of the reasons its so fun to drive. Thanks for the Reply! Cheers
Old 09-27-2016, 11:04 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Sure, I hope you have fun with it. I love the TPI. Search the forum or use google and the site: command to restrict it to corvette forum and there's threads all over the place on the IAC, base idle and TPS settings.

It WILL NOT run right if these settings are hosed up.
The following users liked this post:
Pizzaboy (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 11:37 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

For reference. Minimum idle and TPS adjustment:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1570563689
Old 09-28-2016, 02:46 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Good stuff bet these two guys get you straightened out.

If alls perfect and there still issues perhaps have someone look at your tune but that will do no good if theres something else amiss.

which pn on the cam do you have?

Last edited by cv67; 09-28-2016 at 02:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Wants to die, Newly rebuilt Engine 87

Quick Reply: Wants to die, Newly rebuilt Engine 87