C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1994 Airbag light headache

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 09:12 PM
revitalize
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Airbag light headache

1994 project ran into a tree and both airbags deployed. Replaced both airbags, modulator SRS and arming sensor but airbag light will not go out. Am I missing something? Ready to take it to the dealership and spend big money. Looks like maybe low voltage at driver side airbag (less than 1 volt) but I am not sure what it should be, I do need to get a manual. Anyone run into a similar problem that can shed some light?
Old 09-20-2016, 09:25 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Did you try reseting with a code reader or disconnecting the battery? And check your fuses?

Last edited by antfarmer2; 09-20-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:43 PM
revitalize
Heel & Toe

I did disconnect the battery and also cleared the codes via jumper wire between plug 4 and 12 and used TRIP RESET button the TRIP/ODO button and press and hold the ENG/MET button. Did not try fuse, guess I should of looked there first. I will take a look and let you know how that turns out.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:52 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by revitalize
1994 project ran into a tree and both airbags deployed. Replaced both airbags, modulator SRS and arming sensor but airbag light will not go out. Am I missing something? Ready to take it to the dealership and spend big money. Looks like maybe low voltage at driver side airbag (less than 1 volt) but I am not sure what it should be, I do need to get a manual. Anyone run into a similar problem that can shed some light?
Of all systems to have a problem with you picked a good one NOT
the first thing you will need is the FSM for this is a Large Section of the book, so you can Properly Pull codes (Ground A to K) and follow the charts.
It could be anything from a open in the Column/clocking coil. but I also suspect that the Seat belt Tightening Pellets went, in fact I'm sure of it. so seat belts need to be looked at.

To Blindly Speculate in a important System Not Recommended. Get the Book and take your time, Or as you said take it to a dealership or a good body shop.

Last edited by s carter; 09-20-2016 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:05 PM
revitalize
Heel & Toe

Fuse is good and code is A C42 and H42. Thanks for info about column/clocking coil and seat belt tightening pellets.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:46 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

Fuse is good and code is A C42 and H42. Thanks for info about column/clocking coil and seat belt tightening pellets.
For the moment let's take the Seat Belt Pellet off the Table, in reviewing the FSM there is no Mention of the seat belts Having a charged Tension system. Which during a Collision a small charge retracts the belt real tight, I found that out first hand when some one Blew a Red on me in the wife's car. Didn't even blow the bags barely knocked the bumper out of shape but popped them pellets and tightened the belts.

Now your code 42 that comes back to being
Deployment Loop Energy Reserve Voltage Malfunction
Old 09-20-2016, 10:55 PM
GaryDoug
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Check for a short to chassis ground of the yellow-black wire from pin A4 of the DERM to pin B of the arming sensor, and of the pink wire from pin A3 of the DERM to pin C of the arming sensor. Is the arming sensor new? If not, it may have an internal short.

The code is telling you that the 36 volt power supply in the controller is too low or is dropping too fast after turning off. It should stay up even after the vehicle loses battery power during a crash. It could be that the controller is defective or more likely that something is shorting the supply at one of the two wires from the controller to the sensor, one for the passenger side and one for the driver side.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 09-20-2016 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:27 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

I'm assuming you used "SALVAGE/USED" parts for the repair. Were these all from the same car? Was it a local purchase or an Internet buy? If you've still got the parts that you removed post a snapshot of them and itemize with the part #'s from the components. Check those numbers against any that you've installed, if different reference them.

I used the email link in your USER ID to send you an email.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:18 AM
revitalize
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I'm assuming you used "SALVAGE/USED" parts for the repair. Were these all from the same car? Was it a local purchase or an Internet buy? If you've still got the parts that you removed post a snapshot of them and itemize with the part #'s from the components. Check those numbers against any that you've installed, if different reference them.

I used the email link in your USER ID to send you an email.
Replied to your email. All parts were used from ebay and they were suppose to be good.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:21 AM
revitalize
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
Check for a short to chassis ground of the yellow-black wire from pin A4 of the DERM to pin B of the arming sensor, and of the pink wire from pin A3 of the DERM to pin C of the arming sensor. Is the arming sensor new? If not, it may have an internal short.

The code is telling you that the 36 volt power supply in the controller is too low or is dropping too fast after turning off. It should stay up even after the vehicle loses battery power during a crash. It could be that the controller is defective or more likely that something is shorting the supply at one of the two wires from the controller to the sensor, one for the passenger side and one for the driver side.
Thanks for the info. I did not change the driver side sensor so maybe that is where the fault is? I will check for short to ground after work.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:49 AM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

How about the clockspring, did you replace it? Very easy to damage if it is rotated with the steering wheel removed.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:08 PM
revitalize
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by toptechx6
How about the clockspring, did you replace it? Very easy to damage if it is rotated with the steering wheel removed.
I did not replace it but I did find how to check it (youtube video) and I will test after work. Thanks for the information.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:48 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Post a list of everything that you DID replace. Was the arming sensor replaced? Might have a GM label 10143543, center dash above DERM I believe. Maybe check the connector if you did.

You only got the one single code?
Old 09-21-2016, 08:45 PM
revitalize
Heel & Toe

Update: Clockspring did check good.
There is continuity from derm A4 to E (not B) driver arming sensor and open to ground.
There is continuity from derm A3 to C driver arming sensor and open to ground.
I did notice the plug that is connected to the passenger side sensor has two of the three wires spliced together on one terminal.
Attached Images  
Old 09-21-2016, 10:51 PM
revitalize
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Post a list of everything that you DID replace. Was the arming sensor replaced? Might have a GM label 10143543, center dash above DERM I believe. Maybe check the connector if you did.

You only got the one single code?
Yes one code (42)

Replaced passenger side airbag
Driver side airbag
crash impact arming sensor (was located in engine compartment between blower and frame) 10177901
airbag modulator SRS computer box (derm) 16176558
(was located on passenger side below and to the right of passenger side airbag)
Old 09-22-2016, 02:52 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Yes one code (42)

airbag modulator SRS computer box (derm) 16176558
(was located on passenger side below and to the right of passenger side airbag)
OOPS - Your DERM location is correct, I didn't look and was just very familiar with the earlier location.

The connector (post #14) looks to be "as intended" - FSM indicates that I believe.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 09-22-2016 at 03:57 AM.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:36 AM
GaryDoug
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Update: Clockspring did check good.
There is continuity from derm A4 to E (not B) driver arming sensor and open to ground.
There is continuity from derm A3 to C driver arming sensor and open to ground.
I did notice the plug that is connected to the passenger side sensor has two of the three wires spliced together on one terminal.
Yep, it's E, not B. MY bad. And those splices are normal for both sides (dark green and grey at the driver side).

It's possible that the short isn't a hard one with zero ohms resistance, but a "leaky" one with maybe few tens of Ohms.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 09-25-2016 at 12:39 AM.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:52 PM
revitalize
Heel & Toe

The problem is fixed. The dual pull arming sensor was bad (GM 10143543 2174). On ebay it is just called an air bag sensor. Besides the dual pull arming sensor there are two discriminating sensors (One on right and one on left side of engine compartment tucked close to firewall). I did get manual for 1994 that did help out a lot. Before I had manual I did check continuity from derm to right discriminating sensor and from derm to dual pull arming sensor. It looks like according to manual error code A42 is either dual pull sensor or short to ground. Thank you for your support solving corvette project airbag issue.

Get notified of new replies

To 1994 Airbag light headache

Quick Reply: 1994 Airbag light headache