C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Best fuel injector upgrade for 96 LT4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 09:21 AM
jrbollman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Best fuel injector upgrade for 96 LT4?

Looking for my best fuel injector upgrade options for a stock 96 LT4.

Thanks
Old 10-21-2016, 09:54 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Cal Jon at FIC fuel injector connection best injector at the best price.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:21 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,965 Posts

How are we defining "best"? Jon's injectors aren't going to give you any more power than it would have had with perfectly functioning injectors.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:53 AM
jrbollman
Instructor

Looking for an upgrade in power over stock LT4.

Looking at Bosch type 3 4-hole upgrade injectors. At LT4 fuel pressure of 43.5psi, they should flow 36lb/hr. Any other suggestions for injectors or for other mods to the fuel system?

Last edited by jrbollman; 10-21-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:04 AM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

I have no idea what injectors are best.

Just wanted to say how good it is to see not only another C4 in Maine but another 96 CE LT4 Convertible.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:08 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Although I have not been shopping for injectors yet. If I were: I would look for injectors the can handle high levels of ethanol. There has been some discussion about moving towards E15 or higher. The older injectors weren't intended for E10 but will tolerate it, some better than others. Injector size will be dependent on what other mods do you have or plan on doing.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:34 AM
jrbollman
Instructor

Originally Posted by kg4fku
I have no idea what injectors are best.

Just wanted to say how good it is to see not only another C4 in Maine but another 96 CE LT4 Convertible.

Yep... it's great to be here it is a beautiful state. Just moved in from California, brought the CE with me. Where are you located in Maine? It's always great to find another one of these great cars.
Attached Images  
Old 10-21-2016, 12:04 PM
jrbollman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kevova
...Injector size will be dependent on what other mods do you have or plan on doing.
Current mods... High Flow MAF, Open Air Box with K&N filter, HyperTech programmed OBDII, Stock dual 2 1/2" Cats with resonate chamber replaced with cross pipe and two chamber Flow Master mufflers.

I would like to retain the stock fuel pump/regulator but am open to modification for good gains in HP with new injectors.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:47 PM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

I am in Prospect Harbor.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:48 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 468 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by jrbollman
Current mods... High Flow MAF, Open Air Box with K&N filter, HyperTech programmed OBDII, Stock dual 2 1/2" Cats with resonate chamber replaced with cross pipe and two chamber Flow Master mufflers.

I would like to retain the stock fuel pump/regulator but am open to modification for good gains in HP with new injectors.
I just want to make sure I understand what you are after:

-If you are not planning to do any additional mods your current injectors will work fine and there is no power to be had by using larger injectors.

-If you are planning to do additional mods that will need more fuel to support your power goals the 36 lb injectors will be able to support around 575 crankshaft HP, and with a retune will work fine in your car.

What are your end goals?
Old 10-21-2016, 12:50 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Looking for an upgrade in power over stock LT4.

Looking at Bosch type 3 4-hole upgrade injectors. At LT4 fuel pressure of 43.5psi, they should flow 36lb/hr. Any other suggestions for injectors or for other mods to the fuel system?
Cheap and easy mod? No such thing if you want more power. Injectors won't give you power. You need to do serious work like intake and headers, cam, etc.

New injectors will help if you have Multec injectors or they are clogged partially or just impeading fuel flow
Old 10-21-2016, 01:05 PM
jrbollman
Instructor

Originally Posted by aklim
Cheap and easy mod? No such thing if you want more power. Injectors won't give you power. You need to do serious work like intake and headers, cam, etc.
Ok... is that throttle body and headers? Or more serious meaning heads and valve work? I am considering Pro Charger but not looking to drop that kind of dough just yet.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:46 PM
jrbollman
Instructor

Originally Posted by kg4fku
I am in Prospect Harbor.
BEAUTIFUL up that way. We are in South Coastal Maine, Biddeford near Kennebunk. Only been as far north as Camden this summer. Planning to get up to Bar Harbor next June with the Vettes of Coastal Maine club for their Bar Harbor Tour and Corvette Show. Maybe we'll see you around.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:27 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Ok... is that throttle body and headers? Or more serious meaning heads and valve work? I am considering Pro Charger but not looking to drop that kind of dough just yet.
When you get blown you would need to have new and different injectors along with the matching cam and intake and headers
Old 10-21-2016, 05:45 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

All these comments are true. Just because an upgraded injector is capable of delivering more fuel than your current injectors, doesn't mean the computer will tell it to deliver more fuel. Any fuel beyond what the engine needs will be more or less wasted fuel, and will create a rich condition which is a problem. The engine only needs a certain amount of fuel for maximum power with the current modifications... you don't need upgraded injectors unless you do more modifications for more airflow through the engine... and even then, your current injectors might work just fine, depending on the mods.

If your current injectors aren't working properly then that's another story... you can get them cleaned, or replace them. But still an upgrade is not necessary right now.

Last edited by DGXR; 10-21-2016 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:49 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I'd definitely get it cleaned and tested. When I send them in every few years, there is some build up based on the test results.

If they are Multec, get new ones. Don't throw good money after bad
Old 10-21-2016, 06:15 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

You wont make any more power with one name over the other
If new ones make it feel better thats probably the way it was supposed to run in the first place thats all.

Youll have to dig into the motor to get noticeable power.

Get notified of new replies

To Best fuel injector upgrade for 96 LT4?

Old 10-21-2016, 08:10 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette

You wont make any more power with one name over the other
If new ones make it feel better thats probably the way it was supposed to run in the first place thats all.

Youll have to dig into the motor to get noticeable power.
Don't discount the placebo effect. Lots of people spend a couple hundred and can feel the huge difference.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:50 PM
tlong
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My LT1 '96 benefited from Jon's Bosch III set. Smoother idle, overall great performance and immune to ethanol. The word from him and others was that higher flow would not produce more HP.

I agree that the upgrade will be driveability, not power. To me well worth the money and you can't find a better vendor.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:22 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by tlong
My LT1 '96 benefited from Jon's Bosch III set. Smoother idle, overall great performance and immune to ethanol. The word from him and others was that higher flow would not produce more HP.

I agree that the upgrade will be driveability, not power. To me well worth the money and you can't find a better vendor.
Common sense would dictate it cannot since FI would adjust the pulse width to accommodate (within reason)the extra fuel which is why we have FI in the first place. To adjust fuel so we don't just slop something in like we do with a carb.

It will improve drivability but only if the old injectors are clogged or the coils are shot. If you use pure fuel with a stock brand new Multec injector and a Bosch 3 or 4 or whatever, X pph is still X pph and nothing will differ. I know my injectors pick up varnish over a few years so using a reconditioned set or new set will improve it only because there is something wrong.

Quick Reply: Best fuel injector upgrade for 96 LT4?