C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Front End Vibration!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 08:52 AM
TealZR1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front End Vibration!

In need of some direction before I take to a shop. I have a 91 C4 ZR1 and just replaced the tires hoping it would stop the car vibration at speeds of 50 + MPH. When it hits about 73 MPH the whole car starts to shakes more noticeably. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by TealZR1; 10-23-2016 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:04 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Most of the time it's tire related. Has suspension been checked for worn or loose parts? Tire new tires change anything? Were new tires "Road Force Balanced" ? Aftermarket or stock wheels? Does this happen on certain roads or all the time? Unfortunately more questions than answers. Road Force Balancing and making sure suspension is tight is where to start.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:42 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Had something somewhat similar on my T-bird at one time. Happened after having the suspension springs replaced. Developed a shimmy and if you ran over a parallel seam in the roadway it had a tendency to throw you towards the ditch. Found a shop that did racing setup and they reworked the alignment (after having it done 3 times at the dealer) and it drove perfectly after that.

Have to agree force balancing is worth the effort but have the alignment carefully checked along with checking the tires for flatspots or out of round conditions. If that does not solve it then maybe have the alignment rechecked by somewhere else.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Front End Vibration!

Quick Reply: Front End Vibration!