C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C6 Brake Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 09:41 PM
Passion4Corvettes
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default C6 Brake Upgrade?

I have a 92 standard and have an opportunity to buy some parts from a 2007 ZO6.

Looking for some help on how easy or hard it is to install C6 brakes on my 92 C4 and what else is needed. I've got 2010 Z06 19/18 wheels so think the brakes will fit the wheels.

I can also pickup the complete Z06 front cradle/K member with rack and pinion steering, coil over shocks and brakes. The K member is aluminum where the C4 is steel. I'm not sure of what all is involved in changing this out---if it is even possible. A friend thinks the Z06 suspension is wider?

I'd appreciate any assistance you can all provide---or maybe a point of contact. Thanks!
Old 12-21-2016, 07:56 AM
CMiller95
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...onversion.html
The following users liked this post:
Passion4Corvettes (12-21-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 05:44 AM
Bluezman
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi, Passion4Corvettes.

I just finished this exact conversion. It was fun and turned out awesome. If you have questions, let me know.

I've read different people talking about the conversion not being that big of an improvement. It truly is! I've been working on my 1990 convertible and doing all sorts of modifications and upgrades. The brake conversion has made a huge difference in the way my car performs. Its expensive but worth it in my opinion.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:19 PM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

I did a C5 front brake upgrade on my 84, installed a new bias spring for the master to give a little more power to the rears.

Massive upgrade, especially since the early brakes kinda sucked a bunch.

i bought a used set of brakes off of ebay for about $100, included brackets, brake lines, and brake pads that still had lots of life left.

I had to use the C5 lines to install since my C4 lines were to short for a full turn.

Also since the earlier conversion bracket is so simple, i built my own and saved a bunch of money.

Last edited by Gibbles; 12-24-2016 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:35 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

C5/C6...same conversion. Everything is the same except the C6 caliper is slightly beefier, structure.

No way a Z06 front cradle is fitting into a C4.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 12-24-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:01 AM
Bluezman
Racer

I got a message to post photos if I have them. I've been looking around but can't find where i stashed them on my hard-drive. Here is a photo of the rear. I'll post other photos for you guys when I find them.

Rear suspension. Everything is powdercoated.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:28 PM
Lt4-396
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Where did you get the brackets foe the rear calipers? Did you retain the ebrake or ditched it?

The front is easy it's the tear that is a bit tricky.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:06 PM
Bluezman
Racer

The brackets I bought were cut on a CNC mill for the front. I can't recall who I purchased them from but it was done through eBay.

I stripped the entire front suspension (which wasn't necessary for the brake conversion, by the way) and installed new Billsteins, a performance leaf spring, polyurethane bushings, etc. ...Everything was new and upgraded. I used powder-coated-primer on the new caliper bracket and all the assorted metal brackets/suspension pieces. Then powder-coated the parts to match the car interior – Silver, black, and red. After everything was finish coated and prepped, I bolted it back together along with new Timken bearings and high-quality ball joints.

The front conversion as quite easy. The only real issue was finding a source for good quality flexible brake lines. The ones I found are 14”-long stainless steel made by Brembo. I used the same type and length on all four corners. What I didn't expect was how huge the Z06 rotors are. The wheels have to be BIG in order for the calipers to clear everything. So, I was forced to purchase new wheels and tires. Not the worst thing in the world but I wasn't prepared for that cost with everything else.

As "Lt4-396" mentioned, the rear is a different story. It can be frustrating and requires a great deal more work.

I did the same on the rear as the front; pulled everything apart and replaced the same components as the front. I purchased 2013 Z06 front and rear calipers, pins, brake-pads, and rotors from General Motors. It was incredible how much bigger they are relative to the little stock brake components from 1990.

I ordered custom-milled billet aluminum hub adapters from the Speed Shop in Florida. They designed them for this specific setup so it goes together well. The Speed Shop people are extremely helpful and make sure everything is well explained. Their hub adapter design uses factory GM C6 Emergency brake shoes. It all bolts up perfectly. The entire setup is expensive but obviously so well made. The kit comes with everything you need; including Lokar parts for the emergency brake setup, which I did install. The emergency brake system is tricky because, to tell you the truth, it’s a bit convoluted from the factory. But once I understood the methodology, modifying it to work with the new rear brakes was easy. The emergency brake system works as per OEM. The braking system overall operates and looks OEM, except much, much better.

After powder-coating everything and installing new polyurethane bushings, leaf spring, and shocks, I bolted up the new rear hub bearings and Speed Shop adapters. It all goes together like Lego's. I powder-coated all the brake brackets and various pieces to keep everything looking nice and rust-free.

Since I was doing the brake upgrade, I decided to do other stuff that seemed necessary in my mind. I lowered the car roughly 1.5" up front and 2" in the rear. I also rebuilt the differential “bat-wing” with new bearings, gears, bushings, seals, and (notably) C-clips. I had purchased high-quality fluids for everything (according to extensive research on the subject), and rebuilt the universal joints on the half shafts and driveline since they were easy to access while I was there.

I pulled my master cylinder and rebuilt it with a new Bias Spring and seals. Then purged the entire braking system and installed high-performance brake fluid that several forum members recommended to me. I used quality compatible, but less-expensive, clear brake fluid to displace air in the lines and pre-fill the new calipers. After that was done, I used the new performance brake fluid, which is colored blue, to purge all the clear fluid out.

One significant tip, if you are going to perform this conversion, or any other brake job for that matter, spend a little extra money on "speed bleeders" for your calipers. Each new Z06 Caliper uses two bleeders so you'll need to buy 8 of them. It’s impossible to articulate how much nicer they are over the factory bleeders. I used a ¼” vinyl tube that pressed over the speed bleeder and ran it into a bucket. Then I cracked open each respective bleeder valve and pumped the brakes to move the fluid quickly through the lines and into the bucket. The only thing to really think about was keeping the fluid reservoir full. ...No loosening/tightening the bleeder valves and getting brake fluid on everything. they work so well. I wish they were installed from the factory on every vehicle. I just put them on my BMW as well. It made the brake work on that car much simpler and quicker.

Anyway, it was a fun conversion. The cost was stupid but I'd do it again in heartbeat.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:42 PM
Lt4-396
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I wish I knew someone local with the c6 rear setup I could take measurements and throw it into the mill and make them and if anyone would be interested sell them for the cost of the aluminum, ah maybe someday I'll meet someone local.

How do you like the new setup? Much less brake fade?
Old 12-27-2016, 07:31 PM
Bluezman
Racer

Hi, "Lt4-396". Where are you located? I will say this, after doing the conversion, there were a few things I thought could be improved on. Nothing earth-shaking, but there are always things that would make the job better.

The braking is dramatically improved over stock. I spent a few years purchasing all the parts I would need so it wasn't such an abrupt expense. Its too bad the conversion costs so much because its something I think most Corvette owners would really value.

I don't actually drive my car hard enough to experience brake-fade. But I did take it over Mt. Rainier this fall. The roads can get pretty steep and you're on the brakes constantly. Even my motorcycle brakes fade a bit on that drive. The Corvette never changed at all. It was nice and positive without torquing of the steering wheel or anything like that. With the master cylinder rebuild and new Bias spring, the car stops very flat. It used to lung forward a bit when braking hard. That has stopped completely. Of course, new suspension springs/shocks and bushings helped that as well. But I'm glad I was able to get the parts and do the upgrade.

...Plus it looks so cool -- And, frankly, that's why I did it in the first place. I won't BS you. I'd like to believe that I'm a prolific driver and I need big brakes to contain my spirited acceleration and stopping. It isn't true. My car is babied. But even then the difference is obvious .

I'm more interested in the fact that you seem to have access to milling equipment. I'm in desperate need of a couple trim flanges for my car and can't find anyone local who will do a small job. Its holding up progress! Very frustrating. I created sketches and could provide Solid Works files if you can use them. The two parts mirror each other and aren't' too complicated (I think). If you could take on something like this, would you please PM me so I can send the sketches to you directly? Thank you :o)
Old 12-27-2016, 08:05 PM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

That's one thing i would like is the rear brakes upgraded.
the cost of that setup to retain the parking brake is just too much to justify right now.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:20 PM
Passion4Corvettes
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for everyone's input on this. I received the brakes/parts yesterday---the donor car is a 2008 Z06 with only 18k miles---so everything was in excellent condition. I ended up with the rotors and calipers for all 4 corners. What I didn't expect it to include were the complete front assemblies---both upper and lower A-Arms, coil over shocks, spindles and brakes---still assembled. I also received the cradle and the rack and pinion unit (both of these will be sold or saved for another future project as they will not fit on the 92).
So the question is---will the complete A-Arm assemblies fit on a C4?? They are off of a Z06 and this is a standard car. I held them up and they appear to be close to the same size. I'll get the part numbers next week and chase down compatible years---thought someone might have experience here??
I called VanSteel and they sell the brackets and recommend the stainless lines. They referred me to Lokar for the rear brake hubs and clevis kit. Anything else needed I'm not thinking about? Will the stock master cylinder handle everything OK? Thanks in advance for everyones assistance on this! I can get around in C1-C3's fairly confidently---not much experience beyond that!

Last edited by Passion4Corvettes; 01-14-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:42 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,745 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by Passion4Corvettes
So the question is---will the complete A-Arm assemblies fit on a C4?? They are off of a Z06 and this is a standard car. I held them up and they appear to be close to the same size. I'll get the part numbers next week and chase down compatible years---thought someone might have experience here!
The a-arms aren't remotely close between a C6Z and a C4.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Brake Upgrade?

Quick Reply: C6 Brake Upgrade?