C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C7 hood vent on a C4 - anyone done it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 05:53 PM
Gareth
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C7 hood vent on a C4 - anyone done it?

I am guessing some one must have done this and I want to do this to complete my intake set up.

C7's are few and far between in the UK and despite a fair amount of web searches I can't find the dimensions.

If anyone has managed it, I would love some advice!

Old 12-29-2016, 09:20 PM
gman35
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Default hood

recent one i did.. first is a proto type.. more ideas for the next one

Originally Posted by Gareth
I am guessing some one must have done this and I want to do this to complete my intake set up.

C7's are few and far between in the UK and despite a fair amount of web searches I can't find the dimensions.

If anyone has managed it, I would love some advice!

1st one that i have done.. faux grill trim is removable to let airflow into engine bay
The following users liked this post:
A95Y (10-15-2021)
Old 12-30-2016, 02:50 AM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

I have thought that a functional C7 hood vent with a modified radiator shroud would look awesome! There is a aftermarket hood on the market produced by carbon creations for C4 corvette's that has what looks to be a C7 style hood vent, Its called the stingray Z hood. I think it looks pretty good from the pictures I've seen.

Last edited by DMITTZ; 12-30-2016 at 02:54 AM.
Gareth (12-30-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 03:12 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

Gareth (12-30-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 07:09 AM
Gareth
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joe C
That's exactly what I want to do. Looks great, but but the time I get that over to the UK it will be more like $2000.

On the assumption that the inner structure is the same a standard Corvette it shows that the vent its self is wider that the two major ribs. So either I accept that the outer edges will not be functional or I risk reducing the strength by cutting into the ribs.

I think the best plan is either to get hold of a replacement vent then plan how and where I am going to cut the hole, or if I can get some accurate dimensions I can at least get the duct work drawn up.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:08 AM
Joe C
Race Director

That's exactly what I want to do. Looks great, but but the time I get that over to the UK it will be more like $2000.

On the assumption that the inner structure is the same a standard Corvette it shows that the vent its self is wider that the two major ribs. So either I accept that the outer edges will not be functional or I risk reducing the strength by cutting into the ribs.

I think the best plan is either to get hold of a replacement vent then plan how and where I am going to cut the hole, or if I can get some accurate dimensions I can at least get the duct work drawn up.

too bad your not over in the states. not long ago, there was someone here in florida trying to give away a C4 hood - free for the pick up. it had minor damage to the one rear corner, but it appeared to be nothing serious. the ad went for months with no takers. also, someone on fleabay had a few new OE C7 hood vents (i'm gussing just the inserts) - as I recall, they were around $150 shipped. anyway, someone could have prototyped your concept/idea for just a couple bucks.

one thing to consider - not only do you have to direct airflow, you also have to channel water away from getting into the engine compartment. anyway, good luck with the project - keep us posted....
Old 12-30-2016, 08:26 AM
Gareth
Instructor

too bad your not over in the states. not long ago, there was someone here in florida trying to give away a C4 hood - free for the pick up. it had minor damage to the one rear corner, but it appeared to be nothing serious. the ad went for months with no takers. also, someone on fleabay had a few new OE C7 hood vents (i'm gussing just the inserts) - as I recall, they were around $150 shipped. anyway, someone could have prototyped your concept/idea for just a couple bucks.

one thing to consider - not only do you have to direct airflow, you also have to channel water away from getting into the engine compartment. anyway, good luck with the project - keep us posted....
Thanks Joe,
The plan is to duct the air through the radiator and out through the bonnet via some duct work so theoretically it will not get back into the enginebay.

It's a fair weather car. Now it's a 427 and around 560hp I wont risk wet weather driving!"

Gareth
Old 12-30-2016, 08:48 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

The image that Joe posted has gone away but maybe with your UK location you buy parts and do your own fabrication. I'm not an Ecklers fan but they offer the vent and also the inner matching deflector for the C7. How difficult a DIY? Ironically I believe you could get better pricing through a GM dealer if you had a "relationship"!

The HOOD VENT - GM# 23443956 maybe and the deflector/extractor GM# 23405578. These would ship easily. I and others have used a shipping service from US to EU countries and I'm quite sure they service the UK for cheap. The shipping from me to the shipping service is sometimes more than the ship by them to the EU country.

Ecklers seems to be 25-358870-1 (inner), 25-358871-1 (the vent)

****Image seems to be back NOW!!! 8:50 EST

Last edited by WVZR-1; 12-30-2016 at 08:49 AM.
Gareth (12-30-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 09:43 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Thanks Joe,
The plan is to duct the air through the radiator and out through the bonnet via some duct work so theoretically it will not get back into the enginebay.

It's a fair weather car. Now it's a 427 and around 560hp I wont risk wet weather driving!"

Gareth
I would think the duct work required to direct air should be minimal, meaning the air should take the path of least resistance. even a fair weather car periodically gets washed, so i'd be more concerned with directing water out of the engine bay. suggestion -- it may be easier to custom fab an insert, than to retrofit an "off the shelf" part. it might take a little more effort, but i'm thinking there should be less problems than mating apples to oranges. ideally, custom design a "plug and play" insert requiring minimum rework and refinishing.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:19 PM
Gareth
Instructor

I would think the duct work required to direct air should be minimal, meaning the air should take the path of least resistance. even a fair weather car periodically gets washed, so i'd be more concerned with directing water out of the engine bay. suggestion -- it may be easier to custom fab an insert, than to retrofit an "off the shelf" part. it might take a little more effort, but i'm thinking there should be less problems than mating apples to oranges. ideally, custom design a "plug and play" insert requiring minimum rework and refinishing.
This is a concept drawing. I have already made a custom rad housing and the front lights are now ram air intakes. The plan is to redo the the whole thing so the rad/base/filters and duct to vent are all built off car and offered up from below. I could have any style vent, I just liked the C7's but as you say, it may be an easier job to make something bespoke.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:42 AM
yedister
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sweet looking
Old 01-01-2017, 12:10 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 212 Posts

Have you looked at Trackspec vents? http://trackspecmotorsports.com/
Gareth (01-01-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 12:20 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

This guy put a C7 vent on his C5 hood, came our very nice.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...c7-grille.html
Old 01-01-2017, 12:20 PM
Gareth
Instructor

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
Have you looked at Trackspec vents? http://trackspecmotorsports.com/
I will sent them an email and see if they can give me some sizes to plan around. Nothing on their site specifically for C4's but thanks for the lead.

Gareth
Old 01-01-2017, 12:29 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

This is a concept drawing. I have already made a custom rad housing and the front lights are now ram air intakes. The plan is to redo the the whole thing so the rad/base/filters and duct to vent are all built off car and offered up from below. I could have any style vent, I just liked the C7's but as you say, it may be an easier job to make something bespoke.

That is an awesome design! I have dreamed of doing something similar one day also.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:30 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
This guy put a C7 vent on his C5 hood, came our very nice.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...c7-grille.html

That C5 looks really good with the C7 hood vent!
Gareth (01-01-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 04:46 PM
Gareth
Instructor

Originally Posted by DMITTZ
That is an awesome design! I have dreamed of doing something similar one day also.
Thanks, did some cardboard templates a while ago but things have changed a bit since,

Get notified of new replies

To C7 hood vent on a C4 - anyone done it?

Old 01-01-2017, 04:47 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

This is on a C5 aqain, but lots of good data, and some install info that may help.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...pec-vents.html
Old 01-01-2017, 06:39 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Thanks, did some cardboard templates a while ago but things have changed a bit since,

That is really impressive your template/mock-up is literally exactly how I dream of doing that one day. Really awesome work! love to see some pictures when you get it all finished!
Old 01-02-2017, 11:10 AM
Joe C
Race Director

- keep us posted (thru pics) on your progress. mockup looks good!

Quick Reply: C7 hood vent on a C4 - anyone done it?