C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Steering column knuckle interchangeability

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 11:40 PM
dhirocz
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Steering column knuckle interchangeability

I'm curious, the 95 I just bought has the mount for the turn signal broken off in the column. How that happened is beyond me. I know some of the parts are interchangeable with fbody parts. What about the upper knuckle?

I'll already be replacing quite a bit of parts in the column like the cam, clockspring and ignition lock, so I'm trying to avoid a new knuckle if I can, there are tons of f bodies lying around!
Old 01-18-2017, 05:01 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirocz
I'm curious, the 95 I just bought has the mount for the turn signal broken off in the column. How that happened is beyond me. I know some of the parts are interchangeable with fbody parts. What about the upper knuckle?

I'll already be replacing quite a bit of parts in the column like the cam, clockspring and ignition lock, so I'm trying to avoid a new knuckle if I can, there are tons of f bodies lying around!
There's a few different Saginaw column configurations. The shoes are different that control the tilt lock in some. I believe that '94+Corvette require different than '90 - '93 but there's multiple/100s other GM that should. You couldn't tell until the part was in your hand and you checked the shoes. You're trying to correct the "wobble"?

If this link "sticks" you might click on "what this fits" > "more" and maybe limit your searches to these model GM's in JY. Visit a GM parts guy and ask confirmation. YOU NEED IN HAND CONFIRMATION!!! I assumed that your use of "knuckle" is this housing. If not post a snapshot of what you want or pick the item# from the link. Good luck!!

http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.co.../26017468.html

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-18-2017 at 06:11 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:11 AM
dhirocz
Burning Brakes

I'll check that out.

The steering column is actually fairly solid. The problem is somehow the pervious owner broke the knuckle and that's keeping me from having a functional turn signal switch. I'll be tearing the column down today hopefully.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:13 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Sounds like te column lock housing is what you're after. The early to mid 90s F body housings should be a good place to start. I replaced the column knuckle in my 85 column with a knuckle out of a 1995 F body. Only difference was the F Body knuckle had two bars for the tilt flanges to lock into versus one bar on the 85 knuckle. The column lock housing was identical to what I already had. GM kept things pretty predictable on the column designs of most 80-90s cars
Old 01-18-2017, 03:09 PM
daverulz
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

search nets this:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...terchange.html
Old 01-18-2017, 05:43 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
Sounds like te column lock housing is what you're after. The early to mid 90s F body housings should be a good place to start. I replaced the column knuckle in my 85 column with a knuckle out of a 1995 F body. Only difference was the F Body knuckle had two bars for the tilt flanges to lock into versus one bar on the 85 knuckle. The column lock housing was identical to what I already had. GM kept things pretty predictable on the column designs of most 80-90s cars
I thought that the OP needs and should have been needing the lock housing BUT the OP used "KNUCKLE" as a failure. I also asked if he was trying to correct "wobble" - I don't understand how the OP could confuse that. That's one of the reasons that I tried the link which seems to work well, he can pick out or post a snapshot as I suggested.

Originally Posted by daverulz
I understand you were just passing on info that you found through search but ...............

I've done several Saginaw columns and have experienced maybe 3 different shoe/pin configurations. A person should ignore that reference in the link you posted and use "correct" parts for a quality repair. Later GM truck with a fixed column actually have tilt parts in them but without the tilt lock/latching and one of my easier fixes was cannibalizing one of those for the column that I was doing.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-18-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:13 PM
dhirocz
Burning Brakes

I'll take pictures when I get home. I drive for a living so sometimes it takes me a day or two.

The column lock cover is broken on the left side, but the part where the turn signal switch mounts is broken off...The aluminum part of it. Meaning right now I can't drive the car unless I hang my arm out the window as a turn signal. I'd rather fix it first and not be responsible for giving vettes a bad image.

Column actually has very little wobble in it.

Figured I'd put in a new switch, lever, cam, clockspring, lock and recover the wheel while I'm at it. Lubricate everything and repaint the new cover and make it nice.

Last edited by dhirocz; 01-19-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:51 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

I'll take pictures when I get home. I drive for a living so sometimes it takes me a day or two.

The column lock cover is broken on the left side, but the part where the turn signal switch mounts is broken off...The aluminum part of it. Meaning right now I can't drive the car unless I hang my arm out the window as a turn signal. I'd rather fix it first and not be responsible for giving vettes a bad image.

Column actually has very little wobble in it.

Figured I'd put in a new switch, lever, cam, clockspring, lock and recover the wheel while I'm at it. Lubricate everything and repaint the new cover and make it nice.
If you've no wobble and only thing that seems busted is the lock housing cover etc that is all you buy. The rest I'd say is wasted money. In the link look at 19, 24 & 25. 23 is the wiper and pivot the turn lever installs into and that's generally busted also.

Lock housing cover is NLA and these are maybe your potential JY finds that would work. If the information is correct there's much to choose from and I'd maybe try for the Bonneville applications. In the JY when you mention F-body $$$ it seems maybe rise.

http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.co.../26035681.html

Post snapshots of what you've got but it sounds as if I'd leave the "knuckle" alone.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:31 AM
dhirocz
Burning Brakes

Got it fixed. Sort of. Put in a new Delco switch and turn signal lever, now it works fine. What I notice now is two things...The dimmer switch actuator lever, that goes between the switch and the pushrod, is missing. Im seeing the black plastic actuator, Delco part #D844, and also another, which looks like it replaces my existing metal bracket that connects my wiper/washer switch to the turn signal cam.
Also, the new cover I bought doesn't have any means of securing to the column cover...Strange. I need to take some pics and post them up. I really need a schematic here so I know I'm ordering the right stuff.

It's getting there, little bit at a time. It's a bit different than the Camaros I'm used to.

Last edited by dhirocz; 02-06-2017 at 01:12 AM.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:26 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Got it fixed. Sort of. Put in a new Delco switch and turn signal lever, now it works fine. What I notice now is two things...The dimmer switch actuator lever, that goes between the switch and the pushrod, is missing. Im seeing the black plastic actuator, Delco part #D844, and also another, which looks like it replaces my existing metal bracket that connects my wiper/washer switch to the turn signal cam.
Also, the new cover I bought doesn't have any means of securing to the column cover...Strange. I need to take some pics and post them up. I really need a schematic here so I know I'm ordering the right stuff.

It's getting there, little bit at a time. It's a bit different than the Camaros I'm used to.
In the link I posted earlier #21 is the actuator, #23 the wiper/dimmer pivot, #24 is the cover plate and #25 the cover that you mention. It seems that you mention #24 being missing for cover retention maybe. You need to scroll towards the end of that link to see NLA part #'s.

This Saginaw Column paper isn't an exact duplication of the later C4 but the cutaways of the upper column might help you understand the dimmer actuator.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ck_Rebuild.pdf

Is this maybe the switch that you bought and replaced?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...36071&_sacat=0
Old 02-06-2017, 02:19 PM
dhirocz
Burning Brakes

Yes that's the switch.
I'm taking a closer look now. For now, I have functional turn signals, but I'm almost regretting not having gotten a new column and being done with it.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering column knuckle interchangeability

Quick Reply: Steering column knuckle interchangeability