C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rearend advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 07:43 PM
NOMOREWORK
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I just got a D36 center section with 3:07 gears off of E Bay for $300 with 55,000 miles on it. Had it installed and couldn't be happier.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:31 PM
hemivett
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
That didn't come-off exactly as I intended but it "got your attention" which it was supposed to do so .................. SORRY!!

The D44 regardless of ratio choice does way more for the car than anyone's "reman/rebuilt" D36

What does the $999 D36 build assure you? What parts are 'for sure' new, what brand and warranty! Is there a new clutch pack OR just what they say is satisfactory and did they actually check? Have they given you any assurance that it will be 'quiet' - have they told you they've confirmed clutch-pack break-away? Does the build include short-axles? There's much to ask and confirm.

The ship for just a differential ain't no big thing - I use a tote anymore because it's easy to pack and secure the differential, I can be reasonably sure that because it has handles it ain't going to be tossed around and dropped because someone didn't realize it's weight.
Ya, sorry. I probably got a little pissy myself. I grew up on a farm, so we had to fix everything ourselves. I started working on cars before I could legally drive, and in the early 80s my buddies, and I were the street outlaws. My first car was a 70 442. 455, m21, and 4.56s. Back then it was hard to beat, and many tried.

​​​​​​The $999 gets you a complete rebuild. New bearings, shims, clutches, seals, and gears of your choice. Yes, the axles are in stalled, and clearances set. Warranty is 3 years, unlimited miles. I talked to Zip on Friday, and they are giving 10% on orders over $850, so really only $900.

I was just reading something about an adapter corvette mods have, that adapts the 44 pumpkin to the 36 carrier, gonna have to have a look. Thanks for your time! h

Last edited by hemivett; 03-18-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:23 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Our differential is fully rebuilt, we install all new bearings, seals, clutch pack and gears. Everything is cleaned and inspected. The diff looks brand new when you get it, you really would have no clue that the housing is a used housing. As far as a 44, no doubt you cant go wrong with a 44. Getting one for under a grand, probably not going to happen. Using a D36 cover on a D44, very bad idea. You will need a D44 rear cover and C beam as well. The D44 c beam is a little wider at the the diff and you need the extra support. The driveshaft is also a 1/4 shorter, but you can shorten yours. Hope this helps
Old 03-18-2017, 10:59 PM
krackenvette
Race Director

Received 163 Likes on 110 Posts

I went through 3 D36's before I realized D44 was the wiser choice. The 3 D36s were behind a 93 LT1 auto with 1.6 rr and flownmaster exhaust. D36s will break, especially if you hook up and do allot of spirited driving on the street, which will happen when you go from a 2.59 to anything higher than 3.08 and beyond.
L98 no more than a 3.08 gear, as she poops out at 4800rpm.
LT1 Auto, no more than 3.45/54 gear. LT1 6 speed, 4.10 is the best.
Just my opinion.
http://www.ikerds.com/ Builds Diffs for some of the companies that sell online..
Oh, if you want to see what it feels like to have 3.08 gears, drive on the highway, and put the shifter in 3rd gear vice OD.. I am assuming you have an auto..

Last edited by krackenvette; 03-18-2017 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:24 PM
hemivett
Pro

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
Our differential is fully rebuilt, we install all new bearings, seals, clutch pack and gears. Everything is cleaned and inspected. The diff looks brand new when you get it, you really would have no clue that the housing is a used housing. As far as a 44, no doubt you cant go wrong with a 44. Getting one for under a grand, probably not going to happen. Using a D36 cover on a D44, very bad idea. You will need a D44 rear cover and C beam as well. The D44 c beam is a little wider at the the diff and you need the extra support. The driveshaft is also a 1/4 shorter, but you can shorten yours. Hope this helps
So J, what is your opinion on the 36, or 44 debate? I don't know if you read the whole post, but I do some spirited driving, some burnouts, but don't get violent with it. The car is basically stock, trans is new, and shifts firm. These motors didn't come with much power and I garauntee it will never be more than 400hp, as I want to at least keep the original looks. Do you think one of your 36s would survive? It seems to me the lower the gear you have, the easier it will be on parts, because of the mechanical advantage. That being said, I am putting more stress on my 36 with 2.59s, and I haven't had any problems. There is actually nothing wrong with my rearend, (hope my wife doesn't read this, lol) I just want it to be a little more fun. h
Old 03-20-2017, 09:38 AM
Zip Corvettes

We do make a HD D36, the cover has welding in support block like a 44 does to help support the diff. With that said, there are no guarantee's, you can break anything and that included a D44. It really depends on your car and how you drive it. If you have a set of 315's or 335's in the back, you would be wiser to go the D44 route. We have a lot of HD D36's out there and they are still driving. I believe a HD 36 would be find, but it is better insurance to go to a 44 but its expensive so you have to be honest with yourself about your real driving intentions. A 44 is going to set you back several thousand by the time it is all done.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:16 AM
krackenvette
Race Director

We do make a HD D36, the cover has welding in support block like a 44 does to help support the diff. With that said, there are no guarantee's, you can break anything and that included a D44. It really depends on your car and how you drive it. If you have a set of 315's or 335's in the back, you would be wiser to go the D44 route. We have a lot of HD D36's out there and they are still driving. I believe a HD 36 would be find, but it is better insurance to go to a 44 but its expensive so you have to be honest with yourself about your real driving intentions. A 44 is going to set you back several thousand by the time it is all done.
Several thousand. Yes, it can be more than 2k. But its cheaper than breaking 2 to 3 36's.
What does your company sell bat wing, driveshaft and a 3.54 geared 44?. How about that vice saying several thousand dollars.. a little exagerated imho, even though it meets definition of Several.

Last edited by krackenvette; 03-20-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:31 AM
krackenvette
Race Director

D44 1300 rebuilt, 350 bat wing, 150 center support, driveshaft cut 100 bucks at a good shop.
Pm if interested where these prices are from so I dont ruffle feathers.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:52 AM
hemivett
Pro

Well honestly, I bought the car about 18mos ago, and the car has only been above 4k once. That was a burnout, and I took it to 5200. The whole thing was over in less than 3 seconds. Like I said in my earlier post, this car is too nice to beat on. Usually when I get sideways it's at 25 to 3500, and still less than 5 seconds. I have my coupe for autox, so I take my aggression out on it. Either way I am 50+ years old, my days of roasting tires until they explode are over. h
Old 03-20-2017, 11:15 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,263 Likes on 2,026 Posts

Originally Posted by hemivett
Well honestly, I bought the car about 18mos ago, and the car has only been above 4k once. That was a burnout, and I took it to 5200. The whole thing was over in less than 3 seconds. Like I said in my earlier post, this car is too nice to beat on. Usually when I get sideways it's at 25 to 3500, and still less than 5 seconds. I have my coupe for autox, so I take my aggression out on it. Either way I am 50+ years old, my days of roasting tires until they explode are over. h
Judging from this comment maybe we're actually NOT talking about the car you posted snapshots of ... I mentioned that with the suspension modifications you posted snapshots of I thought the D44 would be a "value adder" - being a 'different' car maybe that's something that doesn't need to be taken into consideration.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:57 PM
383tpimachine
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a 3.07 diff D36 sitting if interested. would le tit go for a steal. worked great but I changed it before I killed it behind my new motor.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:06 PM
Zip Corvettes

Originally Posted by krackenvette
Several thousand. Yes, it can be more than 2k. But its cheaper than breaking 2 to 3 36's.
What does your company sell bat wing, driveshaft and a 3.54 geared 44?. How about that vice saying several thousand dollars.. a little exagerated imho, even though it meets definition of Several.
Ok, I GOOD used D44 with lower miles on it and a 3.45 is close to 2k. A new rear cover is $1500, a really good used cover I have not seen below $600. the C beam you have to find, usually a couple of hundred for a 44. Cutting the driveshaft will be more than a $100 if you find a shop that will do Aluminum. I think I stand by my statement of Several Thousand. I still think the 44 is worth it but not everyone has 44 money. You can run across them cheap sometimes but you have to be careful. There are some 44 parts that are not available and if they are damaged or missing it is just a 44 going to have a hard time getting parts.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:58 PM
hemivett
Pro

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Judging from this comment maybe we're actually NOT talking about the car you posted snapshots of ... I mentioned that with the suspension modifications you posted snapshots of I thought the D44 would be a "value adder" - being a 'different' car maybe that's something that doesn't need to be taken into consideration.
No the pictures are of my coupe rearend. I guess I should have clarified that. This is my convertible. I gave $2500 for it. h

Originally Posted by 383tpimachine
I have a 3.07 diff D36 sitting if interested. would le tit go for a steal. worked great but I changed it before I killed it behind my new motor.
Thanks I will definitely keep you in mind. I'm going to call a few more places. h

Ok, I GOOD used D44 with lower miles on it and a 3.45 is close to 2k. A new rear cover is $1500, a really good used cover I have not seen below $600. the C beam you have to find, usually a couple of hundred for a 44. Cutting the driveshaft will be more than a $100 if you find a shop that will do Aluminum. I think I stand by my statement of Several Thousand. I still think the 44 is worth it but not everyone has 44 money. You can run across them cheap sometimes but you have to be careful. There are some 44 parts that are not available and if they are damaged or missing it is just a 44 going to have a hard time getting parts.
Ya there's a few on ebay, even one with 3.45s for $1200, but with a Cbeam, and batwing, it is still 2k, and you don't know what your getting. I prefer something that has been completely gone through, and 2k is already out of my budget. Thanks for your advice, I do appreciate it. h
Attached Images  

Last edited by hemivett; 03-21-2017 at 01:26 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:40 PM
KSA Aaron
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

I think I have every ratio D44 (3.08, 3.33, 3.45, 3.54, 3.73, and 4.11) that Chevrolet offered. Once my son decides what gearset he wants for his Vette that he races, I am likely going to part with all of the remaining.

I don't live in the States anymore, so it would be up to him to move the parts.

Sometime soon I will post all of this old stuff up for sale.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:50 PM
hemivett
Pro

Originally Posted by KSA Aaron
I think I have every ratio D44 (3.08, 3.33, 3.45, 3.54, 3.73, and 4.11) that Chevrolet offered. Once my son decides what gearset he wants for his Vette that he races, I am likely going to part with all of the remaining.

I don't live in the States anymore, so it would be up to him to move the parts.

Sometime soon I will post all of this old stuff up for sale.
Are you talking just gears? Or whole pumpkins? Batwings? h
Old 03-20-2017, 11:03 PM
krackenvette
Race Director

Ikerds sells the rearend cover 350... Not getting in a pissing contest. But price shopping can find things at pretty good deal.
No need to scare people about hard to find, be careful. Thats with anything. even rebuilt parts from reputable parts dealers can give you bad stuff. You are always rolling the dice with new, used and warranted stuff.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:37 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

I think I stand by my statement of Several Thousand.

Get notified of new replies

To Rearend advice

Old 03-21-2017, 02:48 PM
Zip Corvettes

Originally Posted by krackenvette
Ikerds sells the rearend cover 350... Not getting in a pissing contest. But price shopping can find things at pretty good deal.
No need to scare people about hard to find, be careful. Thats with anything. even rebuilt parts from reputable parts dealers can give you bad stuff. You are always rolling the dice with new, used and warranted stuff.
Are you telling me this or using to explain to someone??? I have probably bought more D44's then anyone on here. As far as Ikerds goes, they are great, but Pat died a year ago. I am not aware of them still buying, they may have some if they do, that $350 is really cheap for what I have seen. However the cover is only part of the puzzle, you will have close to $2500-3000 in a good D44 by the time you are done with it. It is still money well spent, but there are other options that look like they will be better that are not too far down the road. For example there are new D44 housings and covers around, they are expensive, but there is also a whole new diff coming that will use 12 bolt parts in it. That looks like it will be a little cheaper than a 44 but you will also be able to get all the parts easily. Not trying to scare anyone, just being brutally honest.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:44 PM
krackenvette
Race Director

Are you telling me this or using to explain to someone??? I have probably bought more D44's then anyone on here. As far as Ikerds goes, they are great, but Pat died a year ago. I am not aware of them still buying, they may have some if they do, that $350 is really cheap for what I have seen. However the cover is only part of the puzzle, you will have close to $2500-3000 in a good D44 by the time you are done with it. It is still money well spent, but there are other options that look like they will be better that are not too far down the road. For example there are new D44 housings and covers around, they are expensive, but there is also a whole new diff coming that will use 12 bolt parts in it. That looks like it will be a little cheaper than a 44 but you will also be able to get all the parts easily. Not trying to scare anyone, just being brutally honest.
Here is some parts, including his, well Ikerds parts, that they sell. 1200 dollars in difference is quite a bit.
http://www.mcssl.com/store/ikerds-in...55231a8cd08019
http://www.mcssl.com/store/ikerds-in...erential-parts
Old 03-21-2017, 08:49 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

I bought my 44 off a fellow member that lives kinda close by. Been looking/waiting a while for one. Pumpkin, driveshaft, C beam, bat wing (307 gears)was priced at 850 bucks. Another member GAVE me a ring and pinion (345 gears). R and P is new, 44 has 2,000 miles on it. Getting someone to rebuild your pumpkin is going to be expensive..ZIP is offering a decent deal and about trouble free as it gets. Be patient, you will find a deal. throw in some new bushing and spring pads.

Quick Reply: Rearend advice