C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

'94 Coupe Starter Replacement vs Rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 10:25 AM
K.C.E.
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default '94 Coupe Starter Replacement vs Rebuild?

It appears that my '94 Coupe now needs a new starter.

I have not taken the old one out yet, but assume it is the original and assume it is an ACDelco.

I seem to remember years ago that these could be rebuilt? If so, has anyone attempted to rebuild one of these? Was it worth rebuilding? Where do you buy the kit? My initial google search came up empty.

I also notice quite a range in prices for buying a new or remanufactured starter. Any recommendations on aftermarket starters as well as new versus remanufactured?

Lastly, looking at the FSM, it appears to be a somewhat straightforward procedure for replacing the starter.....famous last words before throwing a few tools......so, any tips from 'lessons learned' would be appreciated.

thx

kce
Old 03-27-2017, 10:31 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by K.C.E.
It appears that my '94 Coupe now needs a new starter.

I have not taken the old one out yet, but assume it is the original and assume it is an ACDelco.

I seem to remember years ago that these could be rebuilt? If so, has anyone attempted to rebuild one of these? Was it worth rebuilding? Where do you buy the kit? My initial google search came up empty.

I also notice quite a range in prices for buying a new or remanufactured starter. Any recommendations on aftermarket starters as well as new versus remanufactured?

Lastly, looking at the FSM, it appears to be a somewhat straightforward procedure for replacing the starter.....famous last words before throwing a few tools......so, any tips from 'lessons learned' would be appreciated.

thx

kce
If it's the original OE starter I believe you just do contacts and the plunger for the 'denso starter.

It's generally assumed that this kit is correct for an LT starter but I think it's maybe important to confirm plunger length. I'd think maybe there parts actually in Leesburg and maybe wouldn't even require the order. Could it need more than just the contacts and plunger? Certainly. Brushes and the holder, bearings etc are in a more expensive package but less than $40 as a rule.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-27-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:43 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Back when there were mechanics lots of things were re-built. As technicians appeared the business went to replacement. Over the past decade or so it has become harder to find the parts to service starters and alternators. You never know what you need until its apart. Typically the brushes, bushings, drive or bendix, and solenoid would be replaced. The armature would be inspected and communtator polished. The bell crank would also be checked. I would try to locate the parts first. You could try local rebuilder; sometimes they will sell what you need over the counter. I would bring your starter or a picture of all numbers on it when shopping for parts.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:32 PM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If your starter is an original OEM Denso part the best advise is to rebuild your OEM unit. The most common failure point for these OEM starters are the plunger and brass contacts. You'll see that as soon as you take yours apart. These can be replaced easily. Check out these threads;

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...o-starter.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...with-pics.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-few-pics.html

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...o-starter.html

Last edited by mako41; 03-27-2017 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:53 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 701 Likes on 590 Posts

if you're looking to rebuild, I did a quick search for a 94 corvette (non-ZR-1) starter, and came up with this -

1994 CHEVROLET CORVETTE 8 5.7 STARTER All, exc ZR1 1.4 128000-811 NIPPONDENSO 17579

by no means an expert, but it looks like a denso starter, and the rebuild kit is called out as follows -

https://www.aspwholesale.com/repair-...sgr-p6401.html

individual parts are available.

https://www.aspwholesale.com/starter-parts/denso.html

search by make, model, year.

I've done business with these folks rebuilding alternators - no issues - reasonable prices and decent quality hardware.

Last edited by Joe C; 03-27-2017 at 03:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NavAir (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 05:41 PM
Drifter36
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Starter rebuild

Rebuild is an easy job. I bought a denso kit from this company. There's a good video on thier site.

http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/densoparts.html
Old 03-27-2017, 10:06 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifter36
Rebuild is an easy job. I bought a denso kit from this company. There's a good video on thier site.

http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/densoparts.html
Yep - buy from them. Do the partial rebuild with contacts and plunger. It's relatively easy as the contacts and plunger seem to be the main problem items on these starters. Once the starter was out, the replacement of the them was straightforward and easy.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:00 AM
K.C.E.
Instructor

Well, thx for all the responses......I plan to remove the starter this weekend to confirm it is the original before buying the rebuild kit......nobody bothered to comment on any problems removing the starter (i.e. getting to the bolts, removing a lot of stuff, etc.), so I assume it is somewhat straightforward....
Old 03-28-2017, 07:17 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Well, thx for all the responses......I plan to remove the starter this weekend to confirm it is the original before buying the rebuild kit......nobody bothered to comment on any problems removing the starter (i.e. getting to the bolts, removing a lot of stuff, etc.), so I assume it is somewhat straightforward....
never pulled the starter on an LT1 car, but i'm guessing if you break it down to it's lowest common component, it's just boils down to nuts and bolts -

good luck with the repair. if you do rebuild yours, report back with results, issues, problems, etc..
Old 03-28-2017, 07:23 AM
Drifter36
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

There was a post here about a week ago asking exactly the same question. It had a couple of good ideas to make the job easier.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:09 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

What else does this car come with? In my car, if I had to do the starter again, NFW would I do it myself. I'd hire it out. It was a Royal PITA to remove but to install, I had to have it towed to a shop because I didn't have a lift and couldn't get the leverage to install on my back with the car on jackstands. I also have headers that get in the way.

Do you think you would want a high torquing mini starter? That is an option. If not, I'd have someone rebuild it. I don't trust the "budget" rebuilds that you get from Autozone or Advance Auto or any others like that. Those are cheap junk rebuilds, IMO. Too much effort unless you plan to dump the car in a year or less.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:54 PM
1800Wing
Flatulent Dwarf
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

I had the starter on my 96 take a dump last year, from about 93 on all that I have seen were Nippon-Denso high torque models ( there may be others from earlier but I've not had my hands on them )

The repair is easy and the starter removal is pretty straight forward, you'll need to jack up the starboard side at the least, and preferably the entire front end. About like most folks do for a backyard oil change.

The starter disassembly is simple, the repair even easier. I bought this kit from Nations Starter and Alternator. The link will take you directly to the page.

https://www.nationsstarteralternator...uild%20kit.htm

later, tiny
Old 03-29-2017, 10:46 AM
K.C.E.
Instructor

Originally Posted by Drifter36
There was a post here about a week ago asking exactly the same question. It had a couple of good ideas to make the job easier.
hmmm...thx....I will look for that post....I am always looking for tips when working on engines....if anyone finds this from a week ago, please pass it along.....
Old 03-29-2017, 10:54 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

hmmm...thx....I will look for that post....I am always looking for tips when working on engines....if anyone finds this from a week ago, please pass it along.....
I don't believe you'll have issues. This is maybe the thread referenced

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...94-lt1-a4.html
K.C.E. (03-29-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 10:03 AM
K.C.E.
Instructor

Well, getting the starter out was rather straightforward and simple....(i.e. did not throw any tools or yell at the dog).....input from the Forum helped....thx.

So, I have the starter on my work bench with the end cap removed, plunger out, side bolts loose, waiting for the rebuild kit to arrive......hopefully the rebuild kit comes in the mail today.....

However, I did notice a small round black rubber/plastic piece (about 3/8" dia x 1" lg) coming out of the main unit and extends over top of the end cap that I just removed. It appears to be some type of vent? Anyway, it looks fragile, worn, and has a small crack. It has not broken off and I assume still functions but should I replace it?
1. What is it?
2. How do find the replacement part? It will not be in the rebuild kit.

Any thoughts?

Thx again.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:48 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Well, getting the starter out was rather straightforward and simple....(i.e. did not throw any tools or yell at the dog).....input from the Forum helped....thx.

So, I have the starter on my work bench with the end cap removed, plunger out, side bolts loose, waiting for the rebuild kit to arrive......hopefully the rebuild kit comes in the mail today.....

However, I did notice a small round black rubber/plastic piece (about 3/8" dia x 1" lg) coming out of the main unit and extends over top of the end cap that I just removed. It appears to be some type of vent? Anyway, it looks fragile, worn, and has a small crack. It has not broken off and I assume still functions but should I replace it?
1. What is it?
2. How do find the replacement part? It will not be in the rebuild kit.

Any thoughts?

Thx again.
If this link doesn't stick use the drop-down to the left and choose your starter. There's a component list that will open and you can click on individual part# for an image. There's boot, vent and a grommet I believe for you to look at. Link didn't "stick" so use the drop-down to the left then just click on your starter. Local is possible.

https://www.aspwholesale.com/vehiclepartssearch.html

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-31-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Red 91 (04-01-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 01:58 PM
K.C.E.
Instructor

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
If this link doesn't stick use the drop-down to the left and choose your starter. There's a component list that will open and you can click on individual part# for an image. There's boot, vent and a grommet I believe for you to look at. Link didn't "stick" so use the drop-down to the left then just click on your starter. Local is possible.

https://www.aspwholesale.com/vehiclepartssearch.html
WOW! I think I found it....It cost less than $1.00! .....However, their website requires a minimum order of $10.00....no big deal.

It also looks like it pops right in without taking the end cap off.....I need to look closer....

How do you find all this stuff?

Do you really think this can be found local? Where?

My other parts just came in and I am ready to put back together.... it would be great to find this local.

Still have ZR-1?

Last edited by K.C.E.; 03-31-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:51 AM
K.C.E.
Instructor

Well, success!

The rebuild kit came in around 1300 hrs and it was surprisingly simple to remove the old parts, wipe out with cleaner, and install new parts. After further inspection of the 'drain plug' and a conversation with a local mechanic, I decided that the starter 'drain plug' was good enough to leave alone. I did take a piece of electricians tape and wrapped it around the cracked area to provide support. The starter went back up into the engine without a hitch, put the cover shield back on the knock sensor, started it right up and I drove it around in the rain. I then cleaned up the garage, put all my tools away, ground some wheat in my new wheat grinder (in the garage), put the ingredients in my bread machine, and was completely done with everything by 1700 hrs. Bread was done a few hours later......

Appreciate all the replies, comments, and links to some pretty cool websites for parts.

kce

Last edited by K.C.E.; 04-01-2017 at 06:54 AM.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:07 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Well, success!

The rebuild kit came in around 1300 hrs and it was surprisingly simple to remove the old parts, wipe out with cleaner, and install new parts. After further inspection of the 'drain plug' and a conversation with a local mechanic, I decided that the starter 'drain plug' was good enough to leave alone. I did take a piece of electricians tape and wrapped it around the cracked area to provide support. The starter went back up into the engine without a hitch, put the cover shield back on the knock sensor, started it right up and I drove it around in the rain. I then cleaned up the garage, put all my tools away, ground some wheat in my new wheat grinder (in the garage), put the ingredients in my bread machine, and was completely done with everything by 1700 hrs. Bread was done a few hours later......

Appreciate all the replies, comments, and links to some pretty cool websites for parts.

kce
gawd, I love happy endings! -

Get notified of new replies

To '94 Coupe Starter Replacement vs Rebuild?

Quick Reply: '94 Coupe Starter Replacement vs Rebuild?