C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Coasting

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 10:08 PM
mlm0
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Default Coasting

89 with auto. 3.07 gears

Does anyone know what to change in the ecu to allow my car to coast more freely when I let off gas. Right now when I use cruise control, it engages and disconnects so much it's not comfortable to use. I believe it's because the car starts to decelerate as soon as you get off the gas

Last edited by mlm0; 03-28-2017 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:21 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 466 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by mlm0
89 with auto. 3.07 gears

Does anyone know what to change in the ecu to allow my car to coast more freely when I let off gas. Right now when I use cruise control, it engages and disconnects so much it's not comfortable to use. I believe it's because the car starts to decelerate as soon as you get off the gas
Unlock the torque converter at less then 2 percent throttle or whatever it takes to get it to coast with minor engine braking.

Last edited by bjankuski; 03-28-2017 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:08 AM
mlm0
Drifting

I don't really understand what all that means. I can change the settings but I would like to understand what I am doing
Old 03-29-2017, 03:25 AM
alankb
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't really understand what all that means. I can change the settings but I would like to understand what I am doing
How do you change the setting?
Old 03-29-2017, 06:30 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

See what the current settings are, if they are zero it means the torque converter is locked up solid with the engine when your foot is off the throttle and the car is coasting. This means that engine braking will slow the car down faster then you might expect or want. If you set the min load limit for converter lock higher then your off the throttle numbers the torque converter will unlock while coasting and have less engine braking and it will not slow down as fast. If you don't like how it works just put it back.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:13 AM
mlm0
Drifting

Originally Posted by bjankuski
See what the current settings are, if they are zero it means the torque converter is locked up solid with the engine when your foot is off the throttle and the car is coasting. This means that engine braking will slow the car down faster then you might expect or want. If you set the min load limit for converter lock higher then your off the throttle numbers the torque converter will unlock while coasting and have less engine braking and it will not slow down as fast. If you don't like how it works just put it back.

thanks. Now I think I understand it. Right now it's about 3 per cent, so I will set it higher to coast more
Old 03-29-2017, 03:00 PM
mlm0
Drifting

Originally Posted by alankb
How do you change the setting?

you have to have the proper ecu tuning hardware and software. You then can re-program the ecu
Old 03-30-2017, 12:09 PM
mlm0
Drifting

thanks. Now I think I understand it. Right now it's about 3 per cent, so I will set it higher to coast more

ok after thinking about this, I was wrong, I don't understand it. Don't mean to be a pain in the ***, but!

i am using tuner pro rt, with $6E. To me, your first post and your second post seem to contradict each other. I'm sure it's me just not understanding it, but not sure weather to increase or decrease percent to make car coast more freely

thanks for taking the time to help me
Old 03-30-2017, 01:27 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

ok after thinking about this, I was wrong, I don't understand it. Don't mean to be a pain in the ***, but!

i am using tuner pro rt, with $6E. To me, your first post and your second post seem to contradict each other. I'm sure it's me just not understanding it, but not sure weather to increase or decrease percent to make car coast more freely

thanks for taking the time to help me
The posts are saying the same thing and you have it figured out. The higher you set min numbers the more throttle it will take to cause a lock up of the convertor. So thinking about this in reverse that means if you want to have the converter unlock while coasting you need to set the min number higher. If it is unlocking setting the number higher will not do anything else.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:58 PM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

The cruise in/out issue sounds to me like to much slack in the servo cable &/or poor vacuum to the servo.

Multiple holes for cable adjustment @ the servo.

TCC lock/unlock your call.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:54 PM
mlm0
Drifting

Originally Posted by Churchkey
The cruise in/out issue sounds to me like to much slack in the servo cable &/or poor vacuum to the servo.

Multiple holes for cable adjustment @ the servo.

TCC lock/unlock your call.

i did adjustment, didn't help. I don't know how to test servo
Old 03-30-2017, 04:07 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

89 with auto. 3.07 gears

Is your car stock or close to stock?
Old 03-30-2017, 05:17 PM
mlm0
Drifting

Originally Posted by bjankuski
Is your car stock or close to stock?
stock

i think the cruse control works fine. The problem is that as soon as The cruse control gets car up to set speed, the control deactivates like it should, but car starts to slow down as in engine braking, causing the control to come back on right away. Trying to maintain a consistent speed with cruse control is jerky

have not played with ecu yet as suggested

Last edited by mlm0; 03-30-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:31 PM
joeld
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

This is just info for you, I have a 89 with the same engine,trans, and gear as you do. Mine is smooth with cruise on, no jerks at all.
As churchkey suggested, check vac lines, etc.
Hope this helps.

Joel
Old 03-30-2017, 10:37 PM
Bwbob
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check to make sure the cruise actuator can actually hold a vaccuum, i believe it should. The screws that hold it in the braket, if the got replaced with long ones or bigger ones, can cause a leak in the housing

Get notified of new replies

To Coasting

Quick Reply: Coasting