C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

courtesy lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 09:55 AM
Klgrayson
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default courtesy lights

1984 Vet Interior light won't come on,is there a way to find out if courtesy door jam switch may be bad on the driver side.this is the only door that is open and closed constantly.Would this assume this just part of the loop but need to start somewhere. If I turn the light switch the interior light will come on.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:37 AM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by Klgrayson
1984 Vet Interior light won't come on,is there a way to find out if courtesy door jam switch may be bad on the driver side.this is the only door that is open and closed constantly.Would this assume this just part of the loop but need to start somewhere. If I turn the light switch the interior light will come on.

Does the Plunger switch Pop out when the door is opened, if so give some shakes and Jiggles and see if you can get the light to come. does in passenger side work?
Old 05-12-2017, 10:45 AM
Klgrayson
Instructor

Originally Posted by s carter
Does the Plunger switch Pop out when the door is opened, if so give some shakes and Jiggles and see if you can get the light to come. does in passenger side work?
tHE PLUNGER DOES COME OUT ON BOTH SIDE,BUT STILL NO LIGHTS,AGAIN ONLY IF i TURN THE LIGHT SWITCH WILL THE INTERIOR LIGHTS COME ON
Old 05-12-2017, 10:48 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Mine is an 85 and it has a timer in it. It failed and when it did, I think it would only work with the switch turned also.

I ended up jumping past it. It is in the under dash area on the PS.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:52 AM
s carter
Melting Slicks

tHE PLUNGER DOES COME OUT ON BOTH SIDE,BUT STILL NO LIGHTS,AGAIN ONLY IF i TURN THE LIGHT SWITCH WILL THE INTERIOR LIGHTS COME ON
If you open the rear hatch does the lights work, I take it all fuses have been looked at. Just looking to see if all the silly things are looked at before Saying pull door panels to see if voltage is getting to switches and there grounds are good or look at Interior timers.

Last edited by s carter; 05-12-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:54 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

If you open the rear hatch does the lights work, I take it all fuses have been looked at. Just looking to see if all the silly things are looked at before Saying pull door panels to see if voltage is getting to switches and there grounds are good or look at Interior times.
That is a good point. When the timer died, mine would work with the hatch up, or the **** turned. But both doors inop.

If those are the symptoms, you might want to see if the 84 uses the same timer.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:35 AM
Klgrayson
Instructor

Originally Posted by confab
That is a good point. When the timer died, mine would work with the hatch up, or the **** turned. But both doors inop.

In the current conditions I can open the hatch with the button in the middle console,buttons on the door are not working. If I turn the light switch button counter clockwise to get the interior light to come I can then open the hatch with the door buttons along with the button inside the console
Old 05-12-2017, 11:41 AM
Klgrayson
Instructor

In the current condition I can open the hatch only with the button in the middle console,both doors will not work. If I turn the light switch counterclockwise to get the interior light on I can then open the hatch with all three buttons. If i just open the hatch from the center console the light do not come on
Old 05-12-2017, 12:11 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

In the current condition I can open the hatch only with the button in the middle console,both doors will not work. If I turn the light switch counterclockwise to get the interior light on I can then open the hatch with all three buttons. If i just open the hatch from the center console the light do not come on
Same condition as mine. I think you're looking at replacing that timer or wiring past it.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:29 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Same condition as mine. I think you're looking at replacing that timer or wiring past it.
I believe this is the Diagram you will need to help chase this down, I would look into what the hatch and lights have in common because when you put the interior lights on you are getting a pathway to release hatch.

Does the Hatch ajar light come on when open?

http://quayle-co.com/images/1984_Cor...esy_Lamps2.jpg
Old 05-12-2017, 02:08 PM
Klgrayson
Instructor

Default Hatch Light

I believe this is the Diagram you will need to help chase this down, I would look into what the hatch and lights have in common because when you put the interior lights on you are getting a pathway to release hatch.

Does the Hatch ajar light come on when open?

http://quayle-co.com/images/1984_Cor...esy_Lamps2.jpg
The Hatchlight doen't come on,OMLY LIGHT I ever recall coming onis the Check Engine light or the door ajar lights. Will check into the diagram you sent me to see what's going on with the hatch and lights
Old 05-12-2017, 03:19 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Your description says the Interior Lamp Delay Timer is bad. Replacement timers are available. It can be bypassed by connecting the two white wires together at the timer connector. The timer is located behind the pass. side knee pad, taped to the main harness, near the turn signal flasher.
If you want to repair the module, here's the schematic diagram. My problem was Q1, which I replaced with a 2N2222 several years ago.

Old 05-13-2017, 03:42 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
There is a mechanical relay timer that was used in many GM's in the 90's. The one I used was spec'd as a 1998 Tahoe without RKE. I bought it at Chevy in 2006, still working.
Could this be the module/timer you used? There's likely many for various GM.

http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.co.../15150325.html

and there was this conversation back in'05

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...x-85-87-a.html

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-13-2017 at 04:24 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:06 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Hi
Just remove the delay module and replace the transistor you cant miss it, it has the heat sink on it.
Remove the clip that holds the heat sink and go to a radio parts store and buy a couple of new transistors, remove the solder with copper braid and soldering iron . Note the direction and fit the new one in the same way, bend it over and fit the heat sink and clip.
Install and smile at how cheap the fix is.

I can post what transistor to buy later when I get home if you cannot read the info on the transistor.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:42 PM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

I had this issue in my 84 when i bought it.

What happens is the doors or rear hatch were left open to long and it burnt the little transistor up.

I fixed mine my self for a few bucks and a soldering iron, i also used a larger piece of aluminum and gluded it to the new transistor with some thermal adhesive since i had it laying around...

​​​​​​​There is a site owned by an Aussie that explained everything... However my little thermal mod is not needed

Last edited by Gibbles; 05-18-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:53 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibbles
I had this issue in my 84 when i bought it.

What happens is the doors or rear hatch were left open to long and it burnt the little transistor up.

I fixed mine my self for a few bucks and a soldering iron, i also used a larger piece of aluminum and gluded it to the new transistor with some thermal adhesive since i had it laying around...

​​​​​​​There is a site owned by an Aussie that explained everything... However my little thermal mod is not needed
Sorry I have to disagree....
A replacement delay timer I got some years ago from corvette central,
it did not have a heat sink on the transistor.
Mounted to board so it would not fit yes it did work, however when I was parked on a warm day I left the door open while the little woman did some shopping. Was only 10 minutes or so but when I closed the door the light would stay on continually.

The transistor had overheated, common issue the lights either stay on or will not turn off. Replaced the transistor and got it working again.

It failed a year later and I repaired my original delay timer, fitted the heat sink and a little heat transfer paste.
Been going strong ever since, even when I was adjusting the side windows having the doors open for almost an hour.

Heat sink is definitely needed unless you never leave the door open for long..... From my experience over the 20 years I had my c4 ......

Old 05-19-2017, 07:50 AM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

Thanks for the correction!

I fit heatsinks to all sorts of weird stuff; so when i saw the little piece of metal clipped on my original chip i scoffed "i can do better than that!".

I have had my doors open for an hour with no negitive affects.

Last edited by Gibbles; 05-19-2017 at 07:51 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To courtesy lights

Quick Reply: courtesy lights