C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Battery Died

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2002, 05:57 PM
mothersworry
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Battery Died

The battery finally died. Is the ac delco battery the best for the C4 or is a gel battery better?
Old 11-16-2002, 06:00 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: Battery Died (mothersworry)

I have been hearing that the Optima's are very good... but I have no experience with them.

I installed an Exide... and that was over a year ago... no probs...
Old 11-16-2002, 06:38 PM
CowboyNVette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Battery Died (bogus)

The AC Delco is a really good battery but as far as best..I dunno. YOu will here arguments for the Optima battery ( gell type ) and some others but if you were happy with the AC Delco then get another one. I didn't have a choice when mine died since I was on a weekend trip and it was @ 10 pm at night. I had to find the nearest all night WalMart to find a battery and all they had was the WalMart elcheapo.... :lol: Well that was about 2 years ago and its still going strong....Guess I better knock on wood or the thing will be dead in the morning :smash: :smash: :smash: :lol:
Old 11-16-2002, 10:44 PM
Touringpro
Racer

A gel cell is vastly better than a standard AC Delco (or any other) conventional lead-acid battery. Whether it's better than the AGM (glass mat) AC Delco Platinum Professional is debatable. The advantages of either are many: they won't leak, spill, or freeze; can be installed in any position, are vibration proof, and generally last at least twice as long. The drawback is price - usually triple digits.

Personally, I use Optima Red Tops - $103 at the local Costco - www.optimabatteries.com in the C3 and Tundra, and Odyssey's in the 2 Harley's www.odysseyfactory.com
Old 11-16-2002, 10:59 PM
PeteL
Le Mans Master

Location: And on the fifth day, subpoenas were served to Obama senior staff
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Battery Died (Touringpro)

A gel cell is vastly better than a standard AC Delco
That's not true. I can see very little reason to use a gel cell battery in a car.

Optima is an AGM battery with a sprial wound construction. The new AC/Delco AGM uses flat plates and is also an AGM (absorbed glass matt).

Can't bring myself to pay $100 for a battery. AC/Delco standard battery is fine. Many others are fine as well for $50.00. Best thing is to buy as fresh a battery as you can get (one that just got delivered from the manufacurer).

One good thing about AGM batteries, they have a much better shelf life - so you can buy an AGM that has sat for a while and it will work OK. And yeah, it works upside down - like we do that alot.

Pete

Old 11-17-2002, 12:21 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Battery Died (Touringpro)

I have worked with both flooded cell lead acid batteries and gel cell lead acid batteries for a long time and I have not seen a difference in performance between the two to support, "A gel cell is vastly better than an AC-Delco...".
While a gel cell battery won't spill its electrolyte, it can leak and they can freeze. Furthermore, the Optima battery cannot be directly installed without some accomodation. Consumer Report tested car batteries last year and reported that the Optima battery did not have the CCA or reserve measurements claimed by Optima , while conventional batteries all equaled or exceeded their claimed ratings. Also, the Optima battery was almost twice as expensive as a top of the line conventional car battery. When I spend my hard earned dollars, I want some value, and I don't see twice the value in an Optima battery, but its your money and you can do as you like. From my experience with gel cell batteries, I haven't found them to last any longer than flooded cell lead acid batteries.
Old 11-17-2002, 09:40 AM
Phil-tha-Rush
Le Mans Master

I ust replaced my battery a couple months ago with another AC Delco.

The battery that I replaced was in the car 4 1/2 years ago when I bought it, and suffered SEVERAL accidental discharges by me.
The batterey did NOT leak, and never caused me a problem till I killed it with several long term discharges. (leaving an interior light on for more than a MONTH!)

I really dont expect much more than 4-5 years from a 60 month battery, and wasnt able to justify the extra price to get a "pretty" battery".

Old 11-17-2002, 11:57 AM
GS919
Pro

Keep the stock look, go with AC Delco Professional. If your battery finds its way upside down you probably won't care if it works anyway. :seeya
Old 11-18-2002, 01:03 PM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced the original AC Delco Freedom battery with another AC Delco about 2 years ago I bought from KMart. Last month, the replacement battery started leaking around the positive terminal. I took it back to KMart and got a Champion battery for $45 including a $38 credit since the Delco only lasted 25 months against the 72 month guarantee.

In my opinion, batteries last about years and should be replaced before they go dead.
Old 11-18-2002, 01:15 PM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i Preach Optima, i love them i have had the SAME Optima battery in my truck for 6 years (and i live in Arizona) who else can boast that???? so i put one in the vette, been in there almost 2 years without a problem!

the beauty of the Gel Cell is that the cables will NEVER corrode as the "acid" is sealed inside the battery i LOVE that part!!!! if you've ever changed the positive cable on a C4, then i am sure you know why i love that!

to each his own, but i will not buy anything BUT Optima anymore, and have instructed my family and friends to buy them as well! so it cost me $129 for a battery....look at it this way, if i have to change the battery even once every TWO years, that takes time and then there is the prorate.....seems to me that the cost balances out, and i have gotten more than my moneys worth out of my first Optima!!!! :cheers:
Old 11-18-2002, 05:03 PM
oldace84
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Default Re: Battery Died (85_togo)

Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!

:cheers:
Old 11-18-2002, 07:47 PM
Rick86
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Battery Died (oldace84)

I was recommended Interstate Battery, by an alternater shop. My dad still has a 5 year old Interstate in his Camaro and it has never let him down. Well thats my .02
Old 11-19-2002, 03:05 AM
oldace84
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Crying out loud...all I did was leave the driver side door open and my complete battery went down....

so does this mean I need a new one?????

What about you...what did you do to discharge the battery???

Sure would like to know....

thanks for the help.....

tony

:confused: :confused: :confused:
Old 11-19-2002, 11:35 AM
mothersworry
Pro

Default Re: Battery Died (oldace84)

My vette is a third car, weekend driver. I did nothing to the battery. No discharges etc.. THe think just died. When I removed it, the guts were rattling inside. I just think it was a bad battery. I purchased an optima battery. Car starts now and the overall car seems to act better. We shall see! :chevy
Old 11-19-2002, 11:49 AM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My vette is a third car, weekend driver. I did nothing to the battery. No discharges etc.. THe think just died. When I removed it, the guts were rattling inside. I just think it was a bad battery. I purchased an optima battery. Car starts now and the overall car seems to act better. We shall see! :chevy
congrats, trust me when i say you won't be disappointed! the optima i have in my truck that has lasted me 6 years is wonderful....i have completely drained the battery by leaving my headlights on for 8 hours while at work.....she took a jump wonderfully and the alternator gave her enough juice to crank her over and start by the time my 1 hour commute was over!!!!!! not to mention i have a 105 amp alternator and that battery to run my 900 watt stereo system in my truck!!!! :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Died

Quick Reply: Battery Died