C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

O2 sensor eliminator

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 11:59 AM
his touch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 sensor eliminator

I would like to bypass the rear o2 sensors on my exhaust as it is throwing a P430 code. The passenger side sensor is bad. I know they sell the stuff for this for $90 .

Does anyone know the value of the resistor to put in line so I can make my own? Also it has 4 wires. Wich sires do I use?

Thanks
Ron
Old 11-27-2002, 12:55 PM
ZylaRace
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: O2 sensor eliminator (his touch)

I have never heard of a resistor swap working here. What you want are O2 sims. Check the Vette catalogs. They should be listed.
Old 11-28-2002, 10:50 AM
silver & red CE
Melting Slicks

It'll cost you more for the sims that two new O2 sensors. If one of your sensors has failed, it's likely the others aren't in great shape. The PCM has almost no way of detecting a soft failure of the O2 sensors, they have to be good and dead before the check engine light is set. Soft failing O2s cause the PCM to run the engine rich, killing gas mileage/performace and often are the cause of emission test failures.

I would replace the front O2s with new ones and move the old fronts to the rear.

Eric
Old 12-03-2002, 09:18 AM
his touch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: O2 sensor eliminator (silver & red CE)

But aren't eh sims simply a resister? If so, I can make my own to replace my rear O2 sensors with resisters and save $100.

As much trouble I had getting to the O2 sensor on the passenger side, I would not move a used one there and risk it going bad. I know, it doesn't affect your performance, but it does set a code.

Ron
Old 12-03-2002, 09:47 AM
silver & red CE
Melting Slicks

But aren't eh sims simply a resister? If so, I can make my own to replace my rear O2 sensors with resisters and save $100.
No, an O2 sim is a square wave generator running at ~1Hz between 0.3V and 0.9V.

As much trouble I had getting to the O2 sensor on the passenger side, I would not move a used one there and risk it going bad. I know, it doesn't affect your performance, but it does set a code.
In that case, I'd replace all of them. If you've lost one, the others are on their way out. The PCM doesn't do a good job of detecting soft failing O2 sensors, replacing them is good preventative maintanance.

Eric

Get notified of new replies

To O2 sensor eliminator

Quick Reply: O2 sensor eliminator