C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Which heated O2 sensor for 89 L98?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 06:42 PM
1MoorTym
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which heated O2 sensor for 89 L98?

Hooker 2149's going in, what heated O2 sensor do I use in an 89 L98?
Old 01-31-2003, 10:10 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Which heated O2 sensor for 89 L98? (1MoorTym)

???? Are you rewiring? Stock is single wire. I believe there's been a post or two about adding an ignition feed for a heated sensor so you might want to do a search, but if you're only adding headers, stock should be fine.
Old 02-01-2003, 03:39 AM
pablocruise
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good for you! Here's the tech tip which I followed:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...D=93&TopicID=2
I just tapped into the wiper motor feed wires and dropped down two 12 gauge wires down to the sensor and slpiced in there again. I can't tell what kind of tranny you have, but if you have the 6 speed, consider mounting the bung on the passenger side collector. Much more room there. Also consider using those nice copper or aluminum gaskets at the head and at the collectors. I just installed them last night. The crappy ones provided with the headers pretty much disintegrated after about a year.
Pull the starter. It is really easy and pass side will go in a little easier. Before pass side header goes in, flatten out a piece of frame that will rub on the primary. I'll go snap a pic in a bit.
***edit, here is pic. My finger is pointing to where contact is occuring:

the red line is where I put a sheet of thin steel to act as a heat shield removed for illustration.
Drill out EGR passage in the header if you're going to use the EGR system.
Protect wiring and looms around the primaries. They will melt if not careful......I speak from experience:cry
Please do yourself a favor and fabricate a brace for the back of the alternator. I didn't. It eventually cracked and broke the alt case from the vibration!
Small hex headed header bolts from "Spectre"(found at Kragen or Autozone Pep boys) worked really well for me.
If wrapping the headers, get 2 rolls. 1 will not do it.....again, I speak from exp:cry

good luck with the install! You wil love the headers!

[Modified by 89 Paul in Cal, 12:57 AM 2/1/2003]
Old 02-01-2003, 08:48 AM
dgoodhue
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a Bosch 13010 which was orignally used in the 89 Turbo Trans AM and it also is the sensor TPIS sells. You can also use the Bosch 13077 which was used on the GMC Syclone and Typhoons (and I read that this is the sensor LPE sells)
Old 02-01-2003, 11:39 AM
1MoorTym
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Which heated O2 sensor for 89 L98? (89 Paul in Cal)

SunCr

Yes, I'm going to rewire because the hookers 02 bung is in the # 7 exhaust primary and I want to move it to the Y pipe. I'd rather put it there then mess up the coating on the collector.

89 Paul

Thanks for all the tips (especially about drilling for the EGR, I might not checked that, assuming it was opened up !). I have a 6spd so I don't know if that gives me any more room on the driver side to mount the 02 sensor. I want to put it into the Y pipe to protect the coated collectors, maybe further back the space will be better. Which gaskets did you use? I want to go with the Earls.

dgoodhue

Thanks for the P/N's.

Get notified of new replies

To Which heated O2 sensor for 89 L98?

Quick Reply: Which heated O2 sensor for 89 L98?