C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

[CA Smog] Why are longtube headers not CARB legal on a vette without precats?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 10:30 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default [CA Smog] Why are longtube headers not CARB legal on a vette without precats?

I realize that most of you have pre-cats, and are restricted to using shorty headers if you're in CA and want to stay legal. But I don't have any pre-Cats on my '85, I guess Chevy added them in mid 86 or so.

The 'manifolds' on the vette are shorty headers anyways. Why can't some nice equal length long tubes be used instead as long as they have the same smog attachments? It wouldn't interfere with the catalytic conv's performance in anyway. I get the feeling that there are no smog legal long tube headers because nobody ever got around to getting them CARB approved.

Is there something special about long tubes versus shorties that makes them polluting? It all sounds like a scam to me.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:58 PM
Raysur
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: [CA Smog] Why are longtube headers not CARB legal on a vette without precats? (CentralCoaster)

The reason why some parts don't have a carb number is because it costs Hooker (for an example) a lot of money to get their product approved. They must feel there is no real profit for them.

[Modified by Raysur, 8:02 PM 3/7/2003]
Old 03-08-2003, 04:01 AM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

Default Re: [CA Smog] Why are longtube headers not CARB legal on a vette without precats? (Raysur)

The reason why some parts don't have a carb number is because it costs Hooker (for an example) a lot of money to get their product approved. They must feel there is no real profit for them.
:yesnod: It would cost hooker $10k just for the carb # for the 84-85 Corvette's (no precats, the ones WITH precats, they can't TOUCH.) I guess they think there'd be no real profit in the venture. :rolleyes:
Old 03-08-2003, 04:10 AM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: [CA Smog] Why are longtube headers not CARB legal on a vette without precats? (TIMSPEED)

The odd thing, however, is that I have seen replacement front Y-pipes for L98s without precats with CARB numbers on them. I believe the removal of the precats is legal in most states with certified documentation that the stock ones are no longer functional.
Old 03-08-2003, 08:46 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: [CA Smog] Why are longtube headers not CARB legal on a vette without precats? (CentralCoaster)

It's because california is under the extremely false impression that everything has to be stock to pass emissions. It's easier really for them to say that than it is to make countless special exceptions.

IMHO I think if you pass a tailpipe test that should be all that matters, visual be damned. If it doesn't pollute, it doesn't pollute, who cares how you achieve it? But then again that's the voice of reason, something rarely found in california.
Old 03-09-2003, 12:02 AM
Raysur
Safety Car

Default Re: [CA Smog] Why are longtube headers not CARB legal on a vette without precats? (Nathan Plemons)

It's because california is under the extremely false impression that everything has to be stock to pass emissions. It's easier really for them to say that than it is to make countless special exceptions.

IMHO I think if you pass a tailpipe test that should be all that matters, visual be damned. If it doesn't pollute, it doesn't pollute, who cares how you achieve it? But then again that's the voice of reason, something rarely found in california.
:iagree:
Many of these parts don't effect emissions. I think it's crazy how strict they are. If you have aftermarket wheels you need proof that the speedo has been recalibrated. If you lower the car you need to meet certain height requirements. If you have aftermarket parts you need proof that it's legal in California.

Great weather, great terrain, but a dumba** runs the state. 2 out of 3 ain't bad. :lol:

Just port your stock headers. Grind the egr tubes down (where they go inside the header) and see if you can open things up.

[Modified by Raysur, 9:03 PM 3/8/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To [CA Smog] Why are longtube headers not CARB legal on a vette without precats?

Quick Reply: [CA Smog] Why are longtube headers not CARB legal on a vette without precats?